News   Jul 17, 2024
 79     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 705     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 611     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Well, whenever the earlier photo is, interesting that Elm had already acquired its present "retro" street lights...

Toronto's magnificent harbour - 200 years (approx.) later

TNOntarioPlace.jpg

In light of present plans, the prevalence of postcard-type city skyline images with Ontario Place in the foreground is worth noting.

Re: Yonge & Elm

Three pics from during the construction of the subway:

Yonge:
s0574_fl0030_id49515.jpg

Elm:
s0574_fl0014_id49333.jpg

s0574_fl0014_id49334.jpg

Looking east on Elm, 1952:
1952.jpg

Last edited:
Then. 1980ish? Elm looking E towards Yonge.

s1465_fl0020_id0023.jpg

Those City Nights posters. What happened to them? Who was in charge of compiling them? I vaguely remember them from downtown trips as a child. Did City-TV not have something to do with them?

This Yonge Street view: Definitely 80s with A&A and the SAM's stores...

Then. 1980ish? Elm looking E towards Yonge.

s1465_fl0020_id0023.jpg

Those City Nights posters. What happened to them? Who was in charge of compiling them? I vaguely remember them from downtown trips as a child. Did City-TV not have something to do with them?

Looking at this picture: That brown or maroon car is a Buick Regal or Chevrolet Monte Carlo and the car with the Ontario GEO series license plate has previously been mentioned elsewhere here at UT...it is no doubt 80s vintage...LI MIKE

Boy, that Allen Stores thing looked, er, "modernistic"--and glassier than anything else in Toronto at the time. And interesting to see how much of its fundamental corpse (including the sign) survived into Pizza Pizza days...

thecharioteers pics - you really want to go for a walk back in time; they are so clear and sharp.

July 25 addition. I'll be away for a few days from UT. I'll be posting again early on July 31st. So here are a few extra piccies. May I ask a lurker or two to consider a "decloak" - a la Star Trek - and do a post. I noticed that that there are several hundred daily views of this thread, so please chime in. Thanks in advance. Yours Affectionately, Moosey. :)

Then. Yonge and Elm looking W. 1980-ish?

s1465_fl0020_id0008.jpg

Now. For you non-Torontonians, you can date this picture to the day. The plywood went up on that camera store's windows on the Friday before the G20 weekend.

CSC_0234.jpg

Then.

s1465_fl0020_id0007.jpg

Now.

CSC_0233.jpg

Then.

s0372_ss0058_it2379.jpg

Now.

CSC_0231.jpg

Interesting. The giant A&As front took over a unit on the row on the right, *and* half of the block on the left.

Oh, and forgot about Papaya Hut--yeah, before Pizza Pizza sterilized it all, *that* was the last fling of the old glassy frontage (though the orange paint job camoflauged its Moderne-ness)

Back