News   Jul 30, 2024
 147     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 831     1 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 541     0 

Milton GO Line - 3rd track construction

There supposed to be an EA updating of the original 1992 EA started this year under the new EA process.

The way MOE talks today, they will only look at rivers/creek crossing issues only.

2011 is the earliest all the 3rd track will in places.

There is 3 tracks in various spots now.

Whenever I ride the Milton line, it always seems to me that there are 3 tracks everywhere already. And honestly, traffic on the Milton line isn't that bad. You don't see freight trains constantly going by!

I really only ride to Erindale (or Streetsville on occasion). I think it's 3 tracks all the way to Erindale already.

EDIT: Oh my that was post 666!

Whenever I ride the Milton line, it always seems to me that there are 3 tracks everywhere already. And honestly, traffic on the Milton line isn't that bad. You don't see freight trains constantly going by!

I really only ride to Erindale (or Streetsville on occasion). I think it's 3 tracks all the way to Erindale already.

EDIT: Oh my that was post 666!

You are 100% correct. There are more than 2 tracks to a small yard just before the line crosses Mississauga Road/Queen Street South. Also, CP runs its trains very fast through this stretch, so they can easily mix things up with GO trains.

But, CP doesn't seem to care about all of that. They own the tracks, and in their opinion, they are king of the sandbox. Compare it to a country like Canada. Very few people live in the high arctic, but our military patrols it and defends it because we "might" need it one day.

I'm not trying to defend CP here. All I'm saying is this:

If Johnny has a garage but no car, you could let Billy next door use it. Johnny will probably charge him rent, even though he has no use for the garage.

I did read somewhere that a new EA has been completed recently.

If there are 3 tracks at some spots then a couple of bridges need to be upgraded.

I hope that this project starts soon.

I think most (if not all) of the bridges are big enough for 3 tracks or have 3 tracks already.

You are 100% correct. There are more than 2 tracks to a small yard just before the line crosses Mississauga Road/Queen Street South. Also, CP runs its trains very fast through this stretch, so they can easily mix things up with GO trains.

But, CP doesn't seem to care about all of that. They own the tracks, and in their opinion, they are king of the sandbox. Compare it to a country like Canada. Very few people live in the high arctic, but our military patrols it and defends it because we "might" need it one day.

I'm not trying to defend CP here. All I'm saying is this:

If Johnny has a garage but no car, you could let Billy next door use it. Johnny will probably charge him rent, even though he has no use for the garage.

The yard starts at Britannia Rd and track speed would not handle GO trains.

There is room to put in a new 3rd track.

There is a 3rd track at Dundas for storage and again will not handle high speed trains.

I will post over the coming weeks what the ROW looks like at various points so ppl have a understanding what there and what needs to happen for the 3rd/4th track.

A 360 view of Cooksville station east end and notice grade elevation. Also the north area at the station.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTGiUraLLFc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN3AkY2iIZQ

Again a 360 view of Cooksville station west end and notice grade elevation. Also the north area at the station.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg_QxQQfP0w

In most places, having 4 tracks is no issues other than having the will to do it. This would "Keep" GO out of CP hair.

I did read somewhere that a new EA has been completed recently.

If there are 3 tracks at some spots then a couple of bridges need to be upgraded.

I hope that this project starts soon.

If a new EA has been completed, it news to me and the Ward 9 Councilor who has been pushing for the 3rd track and all day service since the late 80's.

A new bridge has to be built over Hurontario and 3 creeks. None of them will be simple jobs especially over one creek. Even putting in the 3rd track from Dundas to Hurontario will have issues.

At the rate the 3rd track work is taking place on the Lakeshore, it will be 2010-12 before work starts.

From Bob Delaney's website (MPP Streetsville):

The third Milton Line track is not a trivial undertaking. Not only can it be done, it will be done. In June of this year, Ontario announced the MoveOntario 2020 Plan. This 12-year, $17.5 billion massive undertaking is by far the largest public transit infrastructure investment in North America. Part of the MoveOntario plan is capacity expansion on the Milton Line, and that means the third track! GO Transit has awarded a study contract to a consultant. Work has started on outlining the ultimate track improvement plan and the service level increases that may be possible along the Milton corridor over the next five to ten years. This work is scheduled to be complete in the Fall. The next step is an environmental assessment. If all goes well with the EA process, GO should be able to start construction in 2011.

If all goes well with the EA process, GO should be able to start construction in 2011.

That is an absolute joke. When I read this line, my jaw dropped and my heart sank. How can anyone think that it's acceptable to spend 3 years on an EA for this incredibly essential piece of infrastructure?

That is an absolute joke. When I read this line, my jaw dropped and my heart sank. How can anyone think that it's acceptable to spend 3 years on an EA for this incredibly essential piece of infrastructure?

It should not take 3 years. It should take 1 yr. This puts us in to 2009 at the earliest but most likely 2010 for the completion of the EA since the EA has yet to start at this time. It will take 2 years of construction puttimg us in to 2012-13 time frame for service.

NIMBY folk's need to understand the these tracks were there before they move in and had the choice to live else where. Since they knew of of the tracks and what runs on them and chose to live there, then they cannot bitch about more tracks and trains. New EA will say this.

It took an extra year to deal with the folks between Clarkson and Port Credit with the EA team going out of their way to deal with them as well look at the trees in detail as to what they where there so some new ones could be planned after construction.

It has taken CN two years to do the 2 tracks on the Georgetown line which will be like the Milton line.

If it is true there will be 4 tracks, it will be a year longer as "all" existing bridges will be have to be widen on top of the ones that will have to be done for the 3rd track. I welcome this as I have said there should be 4 tracks in the first place where every GO Runs except ROW they own which should be 2.

The biggest problem area for this rail expansion will be the Lampton yards. It may require tearing down some buildings. At the same time, the Scarlett Rd bridge is to be rebuilt 100% in 2012 that will have an effect on this yard during construction.

I stop off at Dixie On Thursday and it confirmed what I knew from years past visit. Shot a quick view of the west end.

Putting in a 3rd track (new track 1) will take some doing to get the new track on the north side of the current platform to get it onto Dixie Rd bridge built for 3 tracks now.

A 4th track will require the bridge to be widen as well land and business will have to be bought up. 2 new tunnels, 4 stairs and an elevator will have to be built before the new track 1 can be laid. It is possible a new platform will be built on the north side of the new track also.

Moving the platform north will be cheaper than updating the current one, but will have some effect on riders during the construction.

It very unfriendly to walk to the station from the streets even to MT stops for Dixie Rd and Dundas St.

The area next to the GO parking lot to the east is crying out for development let alone on the south side. A nice condo/retail/commercial location for at least 12,000 residents.

Back