News   Apr 26, 2024
 148     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 160     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 588     0 

Milliken Centre (Steeles & Old Kennedy, Markham, MadyCorp, 7s, Kirkor)

wyliepoon

Member Bio
Reaction score
Condo development at Midland Avenue and Steeles Avenue East on the Markham side of the city limits, just steps away from the sprawling parking lots of Silver Star Blvd, Splendid China Tower, Market Village and Pacific Mall.

Uninspiring design (by Kirkor) but what is special is the incorporation of the historic Milliken High School into the building.

front-0313_01.gif

map1.jpg

That's good. It's such a wasted spot right now too, with development all around it. Who goes to Milley's anyway?

Someone that wants more than just donuts...

It's not that the site is wasted - everything along the Stouffville line has been developing slower than the surrounding area. It was only a few years ago that Steeles was lined with orchards.

though no awards for architecture, incorpating the schoolhouse facade surely adds interest to the blank facade ... this will be a good start to trigger the redevelopment of Old Kennedy Road area now that the Milliken Main Street Secondary Plan (OPA 144) is in place ...

http://www.millikencentre.com/

though no awards for architecture, incorpating the schoolhouse facade surely adds interest to the blank facade ... this will be a good start to trigger the redevelopment of Old Kennedy Road area now that the Milliken Main Street Secondary Plan (OPA 144) is in place ...

http://www.millikencentre.com/

Interesting. This OPA definitely took a long time, and it seems the existing development follow the policies of the Secondary Plan.

My concern is that this Secondary Plan will not materialize anytime soon. As ugly as it is, I don't see the auto shop and the gas bar where Milley's is situated gone anytime soon, unless someone here can tell me otherwise. They both may be contaminated and I am not sure a developer will want to spend the money on remediating the sites at this time.

...I do like how this development will open Midland north though. *crossing fingers*.

This is like Markham's version of 100 Yorkville. They should have retail on the ground level.

no this is not intended to be Yorkville North ... but rather just an attempt to create the first development in Millken Main Street, and yes in fact that is grade level retail on the south side of the building facing Steeles

T ... the Milliken Main Street Secondary Plan is in fact in full swing, a Landowner's Group Cost Sharing Agreement was entered into this year by area developers and a masterplan has been prepared, if you review Markham Council Agendas you will find that there are 6-7 active development planning applications in the area, varying from townhouses to midrise buildings ... I expect to see construction happening on site in the area within the next 2 years ... and Midland Avenue extension EA is in the process to determine preferred alignment

Wow, I never thought I see the day the autoshop and Milley's gone on Steeles. This area's redevelopment will be a welcome change from the development on the T.O side.

I noticed on the Milliken Centre website there are renderings of townhomes, does anyone know where they are to be located exactly?

Back