News   Apr 24, 2024
 336     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 394     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 749     1 

Miller will not be running for Mayor, How will this affect Public Transit?

Hey, now this is the kind of proposal that could actually get some traction. It's fair, it's workable, and it's sensible. I think you'd find far more support for this than you would for the past "just cancel it!" proposals started on this board.

That's exactly what I've suggested before. I realize that the "cancel it" horse has left the barn. So if that can't be, I don't see why it can't be truncated at Agincourt essentially retiring the 85 bus from service (though I guess a minmal bus service would be required along the subway corridor). To me that would be a really good compromise. Actually, for Malvernites and Agincourters that would probably be the best solution money could buy short of a subway to the zoo (as proposed by my councilor Raymond Cho).

That's exactly what I've suggested before. I realize that the "cancel it" horse has left the barn. So if that can't be, I don't see why it can't be truncated at Agincourt essentially retiring the 85 bus from service (though I guess a minmal bus service would be required along the subway corridor). To me that would be a really good compromise. Actually, for Malvernites and Agincourters that would probably be the best solution money could buy short of a subway to the zoo (as proposed by my councilor Raymond Cho).

How many km would the subway extension be and does anyone have any rough cost estimates?

How many km would the subway extension be and does anyone have any rough cost estimates?

About 5 km. The cost probably would be 1.5 billion at least though. It would have to include a depper tunnel under the 404 plus stations at Consumers, Vic Park, Warden and Kennedy/Agincourt. And you'd probably need two extra trainsets at least. So add all that up, and I don't think 1.5 billion is very far fetched.

If we could rally most of us here on this compromise:

-Sheppard Subway from Sheppard-Yonge to STC via Victoria Park, Warden, Agincourt GO.

-Sheppard LRT from Agincourt GO to Meadowvale and the Toronto Zoo

-Minimal 85 bus service on Sheppard from Sheppard-Yonge to Agincourt. The extra buses could be used on other routes who needs the extra service.

-Cancels the 190 bus. All those buses can be used on other routes.

-Sheppard Subway from Sheppard-Yonge to Downsview via Bathurst (the TTC is waiting for the Richmond hill extension to make this happen)
*This Cancel the 196 bus*

-No cancellations
-2 Major Center and transit hub linked by Rapid Transit
-Better network connectivity
-Will drastically increase the ridership on Sheppard and attract much more commuters.

We could write something on behalf of us to Smithersman since Miller won't listen anyways and to all Scarborough and Northyork councillors on this corridor who are slowly waking up on this so they can push this...

Makes sense?

I'll post this on the Sheppard East LRT thread so we can stay on topic

Last edited:
I hope they figure out what they want to do with the DRL before they start looking at the Don Mills TC line, though. The DRL on the East side should go to Eglinton.

Steve Munro on Miller's legacy, part of a much longer piece examining Miler's time in office.:

What is David Miller’s legacy?

Transit is a vital, central part of City planning and building. No longer is the TTC trying to fit one more rider on the roof of every bus and streetcar, and despite many problems with fleet availability, plans are still in place to continue improving service. Transit is no longer something only downtown Councillors with their “pampered†constituents fight for, it’s a concern in wards right across the City. Showing people what can be done and encouraging them to ask for more is a vital part of advocacy and leadership.

I am deeply saddened that we won’t see a third term, that the changes now underway must be completed by others, indeed could even be threatened by the short-sighted who would trash “Miller projects†without regard for their intrinsic value.

I remember a meeting in the Mayor’s office early in his first term. A confident, happy Mayor, proud of his city, sat with his legs up on the couch while a group of us discussed what was needed for transit. We’ve come a long way since then.

When the first LRV rolls along Sheppard Avenue or into a redeveloped eastern waterfront, when Councillors demand even more routes as part of the 10-minute network, when cutting transit service becomes utterly unthinkable at budget time, David Miller should be there if only in spirit.

The first thing the passengers on the SELRT are going to say is "Why do I have to transfer at Don Mills? This is sooo stupid."

That will be Miller's legacy. He squandered the opportunity of a lifetime.

I hope they figure out what they want to do with the DRL before they start looking at the Don Mills TC line, though. The DRL on the East side should go to Eglinton.

This right here is the problem. They created a half-assed plan with a lot of holes. And they are building the lines in the wrong order. If you want to do the most to help transit in Toronto, you'd start with the DRL, the two YUS subway extensions, Finch West, Waterfront West, Kingston BRT and a small extension of Sheppard till Vic Park at least.

I didn't recall they were considering having the DRL go to North York and Etobicoke...
Oops; I misread the OP as "inner city" not "inner suburban". But if inner suburban is what we're looking at, an extension of the RT plus the Spadina extensions within the City of Toronto surely count.

Oops; I misread the OP as "inner city" not "inner suburban". But if inner suburban is what we're looking at, an extension of the RT plus the Spadina extensions within the City of Toronto surely count.

It doesn't really count...

Rt=Scarborough
Spadina= Toronto to Vaughn via North York.

*Rapid Transit between North York and Scarborough does not exist.*

Eglinton Crosstown Will link Scarborough, Toronto and Etobicoke
but no North York
And the rapid transit part of the line includes Toronto alone

Finch West LRT
-Not Rapid Transit
-Scarborough not included

This right here is the problem. They created a half-assed plan with a lot of holes. And they are building the lines in the wrong order. If you want to do the most to help transit in Toronto, you'd start with the DRL, the two YUS subway extensions, Finch West, Waterfront West, Kingston BRT and a small extension of Sheppard till Vic Park at least.
I fully agree. They should start these projects and then continue to fill in holes and make improvements from there. Miller tried to get everything done at once with Transit City, and we're going to get a poor, cheap plan that doesn't take future factors into account, such as a new subway line here, or higher than expected ridership there.

I definetly agree that completing the Sheppard subway to STC would be a logical thing to do, and would not completely de-rail the work that will be done shortly on the SELRT. Just simply have them start working at the other end of the line. That way by the time construction there is underway, the redone EA should be complete and construction can begin on the completion of the subway.

I also agree that the Don Mills LRT should be put on hold until the studies have been completed on the DRL. I do have a question with regards to the Eglinton Crosstown though: why are the tunnelled sections stopping a couple blocks short of the Don Mills and Jane LRTs? Wouldn't it make sense to have grade-separated LRT between those two the entire way? And then run it as a surface LRT beyond those?

^^ I've said a couple times that I'd rather have an Eglinton subway that goes to Jane and Don Mills, which could be easily extended in the future, than the current LRT proposal. Doing that would free up some money for projects like Sheppard or extending the B-D to STC, which should be happening in Transit City.

Back