News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 392     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 985     1 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

I bet they're going to have a lot more of these types of complaints once Presto usage becomes widespread. Hopefully this pushes them to just adopt a 2 hour transfer.

I don't think a two hour transfer would help in this case as Presto read it as being a transfer from a king car to a king car, which with the current rules in place you shouldn't tap your card to transfer from.

I don't think a two hour transfer would help in this case as Presto read it as being a transfer from a king car to a king car, which with the current rules in place you shouldn't tap your card to transfer from.
If they went for two-hour transfers, there'd be no rules about tapping twice on the same route.

If they went for two-hour transfers, there'd be no rules about tapping twice on the same route.

I don't think we are ever likely to see two hour transfers. I think the only way you will be able to avoid multiple charges on a presto card will be to have a pass on it, whether it's daily, weekly or monthly will be up to you but all other fares are lily to be charged unless the system sees it as a valid transfer.

Given that every other transit agency (with the possible exception of UP), on Presto uses a 2-hour transfer, I'd think it's inevitable that we will see them sooner or later - especially given TTC has been talking about it for sometime.

More TTC oddness.

The transfer at 10:10 AM yesterday at "Union Station" worked ... except that I was transferring from a 506 to a 504 at Broadview/Gerrard. But the trip home didn't go as well.

At 8:13 pm eastbound at King/Ontario, along came a new streetcar (4415) signed as a 501 Leslie (short turn) - I'd assume it was a 510 returning to the yard. So I got on it, never knowing when something better would come. I got off at Broadview, as I'd seen a 504 behind us, and by then I'd checked 506 on Nextbus to see that I wouldn't have a long wait. So I tapped on the 504 at Queen/Broadview at 8:23 and a 506 eastbound at Gerrard/Broadview at 8:29 pm.

And as you can see below, I got nailed for a second fare boarding the 504. Which seems odd, given that I'd have thought the system would think the first streetcar was either a 501 or a 510.

But then I took a close look at the transfer I'd grabbed on 4415 (on the off-chance I'd end up taking a bus from Queen to Gerrard) - and it said 504 King on it. Which is odd, given the vehicle said 501 on the front.

Oh well, I guess we'll find out how efficient the TTC refund system works.

View attachment 70248
It seems like this whole presto system is not tied to the destination sign or run numbers. It's pure location base. Whatever the POP slip (transfer) shows, that's the route assumed.
Even if it's a 506, if it detours onto Dundas, it might thinks it's a 505. I think they have overrides for the main routes so if it starts out of Main Station and have been through a number of stops, it will not change routes from a detour but for the carhouse trips, you have proven that the system has no idea what route its on.

It seems like this whole presto system is not tied to the destination sign or run numbers. It's pure location base. Whatever the POP slip (transfer) shows, that's the route assumed.
Even if it's a 506, if it detours onto Dundas, it might thinks it's a 505. I think they have overrides for the main routes so if it starts out of Main Station and have been through a number of stops, it will not change routes from a detour but for the carhouse trips, you have proven that the system has no idea what route its on.
That's an interesting theory. That could get very painful during detours. For example, I've had many a trip, where I transfer from a 506 eastbound to a 501 eastbound at Gerrard/Broadview when 501 is detouring for whatever reason, and pulls up behind us.

And what of all those folks who transfer from 502 to 501 at Kingston/Queen.

Had to go into the city today, so I did a slight test with my Presto. Tapped at Finch, took the subway to Dundas, got off at Spadina to pick up a new bundle buggy, and took the Spadina streetcar (which was painfully slow, because TTC) down to Union. At Union there was a fare inspector, and my Presto cleared with flying colours.

This might seem normal, but if I had paid with a token at Finch and grabbed a transfer, I might have run into some headaches since a subway paper transfer cannot be used for rentry into the system. A transfer from the Bloor-Danforth line might have passed, with the argument that you wanted to take the scenic route, but the route I took was hardly the most direct by any stretch.

More TTC oddness.

The transfer at 10:10 AM yesterday at "Union Station" worked ... except that I was transferring from a 506 to a 504 at Broadview/Gerrard. But the trip home didn't go as well.

At 8:13 pm eastbound at King/Ontario, along came a new streetcar (4415) signed as a 501 Leslie (short turn) - I'd assume it was a 510 returning to the yard. So I got on it, never knowing when something better would come. I got off at Broadview, as I'd seen a 504 behind us, and by then I'd checked 506 on Nextbus to see that I wouldn't have a long wait. So I tapped on the 504 at Queen/Broadview at 8:23 and a 506 eastbound at Gerrard/Broadview at 8:29 pm.

And as you can see below, I got nailed for a second fare boarding the 504. Which seems odd, given that I'd have thought the system would think the first streetcar was either a 501 or a 510.

But then I took a close look at the transfer I'd grabbed on 4415 (on the off-chance I'd end up taking a bus from Queen to Gerrard) - and it said 504 King on it. Which is odd, given the vehicle said 501 on the front.

Oh well, I guess we'll find out how efficient the TTC refund system works.

View attachment 70248

Let us know how that refund goes. If they hold it up, might want to get in touch with the Star. While the TTC has had a customer service renaissance, I would not be surprised if by the end of this they are facing a class action lawsuit from double dipping with Presto because of their asinine transfer rules.

They are sending the token to me in the mail, and asking Presto to investigate why I was charged twice.

That's pretty ridiculous. It's shocking that Presto does not have the capacity to reverse a charge, and that there aren't presto gift codes/vouchers/etc. where you enter some alphanumeric token and get $2.90 (or whatever refund amount generated by a customer service rep) credited to your balance.

Good that they refunded you, at least...

That's pretty ridiculous. It's shocking that Presto does not have the capacity to reverse a charge, and that there aren't presto gift codes/vouchers/etc. where you enter some alphanumeric token and get $2.90 (or whatever refund amount generated by a customer service rep) credited to your balance.

They do but you need to do it in person. I suppose they can credit your card like a manual load and the amount will update if you tap within 30 days. There is also a change the can mess up your balance where your card balance doesn't match the server balance. A token is safer refund.

Presto does. Refund comes from TTC. They say they'll have that capability on-line by end of year.

They do but you need to do it in person. I suppose they can credit your card like a manual load and the amount will update if you tap within 30 days. There is also a change the can mess up your balance where your card balance doesn't match the server balance. A token is safer refund.
GO Transit refunds me automatically all the time when my train is late. Not in person ... but crediting your Presto card. Yes you have to tap in 30 days ...

Presto does. Refund comes from TTC. They say they'll have that capability on-line by end of year.

GO Transit refunds me automatically all the time when my train is late. Not in person ... but crediting your Presto card. Yes you have to tap in 30 days ...
Hopefully your issue made TTC more aware of presto problems. I really hope they sort this out before moving it onto the bus network where multiple routes run out of a station. Also, they better work on sometime better for short turns. Since buses don't have POP, the current implementation is going to be an issue. Everyone will be charged a second fare if they tap. I suppose the ultimate solution for people without a metropass loaded on their card would be given a single use transfer card to tap on the next bus.

Back