News   Apr 25, 2024
 149     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 329     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 527     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

I'm not sure how they plan on implementing Presto but I know with iOS and Express Transit on iPhones, you're able to still tap even when the phone is 'off' and battery is 'empty' (or not enough to run the OS)
how many poe walk around with a dedad phone? I thoink most poe now will either have a battery pack with them or they cahrge it well at work. Plus if you have a usb charging cable you can use it on abus if your desprete.

how many poe walk around with a dedad phone? I thoink most poe now will either have a battery pack with them or they cahrge it well at work. Plus if you have a usb charging cable you can use it on abus if your desprete.

I was just sharing information in response to someone who had concerns over their phone being dead. Knowing that’s an option is always a nice backup.

Personally, running out of battery is a really common experience after a night out and no way I’m bringing a battery pack to the bars.

I was just sharing information in response to someone who had concerns over their phone being dead. Knowing that’s an option is always a nice backup.

Personally, running out of battery is a really common experience after a night out and no way I’m bringing a battery pack to the bars.
there are battery backs that can charge your phone to 100 from 0 that are small enough to fit in your pocket

Last edited:
I'm not sure how they plan on implementing Presto but I know with iOS and Express Transit on iPhones, you're able to still tap even when the phone is 'off' and battery is 'empty' (or not enough to run the OS)
It's not on Apple Pay yet. I got an email about an NDA so I had to take everything down. But the TTC said that virtual cards are now in testing in it's Major Capital Projects report so it's kind of public information now.

I read somewhere that android is getting something similar, but it requires hardware support by the manufacturer, which no phones currently have (I'll post the source when I find it).

I read somewhere that android is getting something similar, but it requires hardware support by the manufacturer, which no phones currently have (I'll post the source when I find it)
I use a iPhone and plan on doing so, so this doesn’t effect me but what kind of hardware would a android phone need for a virtual presto card and is it something that most plan on implementing on their phones

I find that kind of hard to believe. Most Android devices have NFC, which is what contactless transactions are based upon. Android devices can interact with Presto cards using NFC. It doesn't stand to reason that there are any hardware limitations.

Reactions: PL1
Android shouldn’t have hardware limitations (other than old phones without nfc). I find it interesting that it is not yet on Apple Pay? Pretty sure there’s no other way to pay with NFC without using Apple Pay on iOS.

I find that kind of hard to believe. Most Android devices have NFC, which is what contactless transactions are based upon. Android devices can interact with Presto cards using NFC. It doesn't stand to reason that there are any hardware limitations.
Android shouldn’t have hardware limitations (other than old phones without nfc). I find it interesting that it is not yet on Apple Pay? Pretty sure there’s no other way to pay with NFC without using Apple Pay on iOS.
I was talking about using your phone for NFC while it's in a powered-off state because the battery died. Sorry for not being more clear, I forgot the Express Transit feature included the powered-on state. It's supposed to have been a feature available on Android since Android 11, but I don't know any manufacturers that have hardware support for it.

Edit: This link below talks about.
https://android.googlesource.com/pl...rdware/identity/IIdentityCredentialStore.aidl

Also, this is from the TTC capital projects report:

1686135947949.png

1686135975162.png

Last edited:
So fun realization about the newer form of TTC fare gates: they have both a time out and seemingly no sensor unless you are actually obstructing the gate. Even a slight delay between tapping and moving through (like, say, dropping the **** card) results in the gate slamming in your face. Followed by the entire gate line locking you out for lord knows how long. Apparently transit control can't even override, so unless someone can locate the station agent it look like the gates will happily take the fare and lock you out of the station.

And for the record, suddenly the staff who had had no interest in overriding the gate got very angry when I forced the stupid thing open.

Not sure of the solution here, but something's broken, and I'd guess its to do with sensor functionality. Didn't the old token gates stay unlocked until they'd rotated?

Last edited:

Back