News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 399     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Eventually you will be able to have a Metropass equivalent loaded onto your card - whether that's an upfront purchase, as it is today, or cap on monthly fares, is yet to be decided, as far as I know.

I still don't get why Presto has had trouble creating this finctionability on the TTC. It is already a built-in capability elsewhere. For the upfront purchase method, a period pass is available in Brampton, Hamilton, Ottawa, and Durham and York regions. For the cap method, this is what GO does (in a complex increasing percent discount method I might add), as well as Oakville, Burlington and Mississauga. I'm not going to pretend I'm knowledgeable in the back-end functions of it all, but how is it much more difficult to transfer that to another transit agency?

And the TTC is wondering why more people haven't made the switch, it's this, combined with an incomplete rollout across the system. Not a huge mystery, guys.

The TTC hasn't rolled out Presto metropasses because a lot of the system (i.e. all of Scarborough and the east end) doesn't have it yet. You'd get a ton of people complaining that they bought a metropass but still had to buy cash fares, and the TTC wouldn't have a good answer for them.

And the TTC is wondering why more people haven't made the switch, it's this, combined with an incomplete rollout across the system. Not a huge mystery, guys.

Are they wondering that? I haven't seen any indication of that, other than pure conjecture in here and on Twitter. I'm sure they have a plan and know what they're doing. Like the poster above says, rolling out the Metropass on Presto right now would be foolish since you can't even access every subway station nor all bus routes.

I still don't get why Presto has had trouble creating this finctionability on the TTC. It is already a built-in capability elsewhere.
Because on the other systems, the operator interfaces with the Presto device.

Currently, the TTC operator CAN'T interface with the TTC Presto device.

This functionality comes sometime in 2017.

Not sure the big deal here - it's temporary. Roll-out not complete.

According to the Chief Executive Officer’s Report – October 2016 Update, available at this link:

At the time of writing, 1,369 buses (71% of the fleet) have been equipped with PRESTO readers. Work continues apace to equip stations with “paddle style” fare gates and we remain on target to have at least one station entrance with PRESTO readers by year end. Work is also progressing well on preparing Wheel-Trans for PRESTO adoption.

Eventually you will be able to have a Metropass equivalent loaded onto your card - whether that's an upfront purchase, as it is today, or cap on monthly fares, is yet to be decided, as far as I know.

Up front purchase either online or at a machine as per brad ross on twitter when I asked how metropasses will be added to a presto card. The only cap that has been talked about is one that is the equivalent of a day pass after five rides in a day at the cost of one token per ride.

Is there any update on the kerfuffle with non-working Presto card readers on buses and streetcars? It's been a few weeks since the news story about that and the problem seems to have gone away, at least anecdotally. I haven't seen an out-of-service reader at all in a while.

Is there any update on the kerfuffle with non-working Presto card readers on buses and streetcars? It's been a few weeks since the news story about that and the problem seems to have gone away, at least anecdotally. I haven't seen an out-of-service reader at all in a while.

Byford says TTC managed to reduce non-functioning Presto card readers from 12% to 5% of bus fleet. Says issues persist related to software.

Before I do something that might end up crashing the presto system, has anyone had any issues with doing a manual online load on a presto card that already has auto load set up? I have some prepaid credit cards I need to dump somewhere.

Back