News   Apr 25, 2024
 346     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

I was heading to work today from North York Centre subway station and noticed all of the fare gates were gone. I suppose this is for the installation of the Presto gates. Slowly but surely they are all getting there.

I was heading to work today from North York Centre subway station and noticed all of the fare gates were gone. I suppose this is for the installation of the Presto gates. Slowly but surely they are all getting there.
The North York station is on their "Fall 2016" list so it seems a bit early but good to see. The other Fall 2016 listed are:
Eglinton West PRESTO available: Fall 2016
Station: Victoria Park PRESTO available: Fall 2016
Station: Eglinton PRESTO available: Fall 2016
Station: Summerhill PRESTO available: Fall 2016
Station: Wilson PRESTO available: Fall 2016
Station: Lawrence West PRESTO available: Fall 2016

On top of that, someone who uses transit less than 49 times a month can pay per trip and still get the tax credit. As long as you're making 32 one-way trips in 31 days, you can claim them.
When CRA audited my 2014 claim for the Public Transit Pass credit they actually increased my deduction to include all trips, even those not eligible because there were fewer than 32 in 31 days. They simply defaulted to the total at the very bottom of the Presto usage report. One wonders if they even know what the real rules are.

When CRA audited my 2014 claim for the Public Transit Pass credit they actually increased my deduction to include all trips, even those not eligible because there were fewer than 32 in 31 days. They simply defaulted to the total at the very bottom of the Presto usage report. One wonders if they even know what the real rules are.

Where's the physical location of the CRA office where the humanoids are doing the audit? Sudbury? Thunder Bay? Yellowknife? Overseas somewhere? They might be using the transit pass rules of their location.

Where's the physical location of the CRA office where the humanoids are doing the audit? Sudbury? Thunder Bay? Yellowknife? Overseas somewhere? They might be using the transit pass rules of their location.

The transit pass credit was initially for monthly fares only (i.e. Metropass). They relaxed the rules when GO Transit stopped having monthly passes (you now have a monthly cap).

I don't know the exact rationale for the 32 days but it makes sense. Means it's you primary form of transportation (16 days out of an average of 20 working days...22 less 1 statutory holiday less 1 vacation day)

Probably was also exactly the GO break-even point for a monthly pass when the implemented (a wild guess)

Hm, I can actually see how that interpretation works: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns360-390/364/lgblty-eng.html

"You can also claim the cost of ... electronic payment cards if the card is used to make at least 32 one-way trips over a maximum of 31 consecutive days; and the card is issued by a public transit authority that records and provides a receipt for the cost and usage of the card.
Yes, it's easy to read this way.

You get a receipt for 365 (or 366 days). If on that receipt you have 32 one-way trips in any 31-day period, then you claim the entire receipt.

Wonderful, with no August MDP pass, I'll end up triggering the 31 trips on my card, so my 10 or so GO Trips per months will become deductible!

Quite frankly, I think the regulation is badly written - and the guidance documents are a disgrace.

Upgrades to the PRESTO system and devices – August 12-14 and August 19-21
PRESTO is upgrading its system to enable future fare payment capability on TTC’s Wheel-Trans fleet, add new audible alerts to GO PRESTO Balance Checker devices, enhance accessibility features for UP PRESTO devices and enhance back-end services to accommodate future customer growth.

As part of PRESTO’s Customer Charter, we are committed to keeping customers informed throughout any release update and any planned service interruptions. The PRESTO website will be available but there may be delays in receiving transaction and trip information in your account.

Customers will still be able to use their PRESTO card to pay transit fares and load funds at a PRESTO Customer Service Outlet. PRESTO Self-Serve Reload Machines may not be in service during the upgrade.

All PRESTO services will be restored by early morning on August 15 and August 22, 2016.

Why is PRESTO doing this upgrade and what is the benefit to me?

PRESTO is upgrading its system to enable future fare payment capability on TTC’s Wheel-Trans fleet and enhance back-end services to accommodate future customer growth.

This release will allow for field trials for the fare payment device that will be used on the TTC Wheel-Trans fleet, and offer enhanced accessibility features on UP Express devices.

As part of PRESTO’s Customer Charter, we are committed to continuously improving our service and keep PRESTO running smoothly for customers.

With this upgrade, are there any benefits for UP Express customers?

Yes. This upgrade will enable enhanced accessibility features on UP Express devices and tap-on reversal.

When will TTC Wheel-Trans vehicles be equipped with PRESTO?

PRESTO is committed to providing a fare payment option for para-transit services such as Wheel-Trans. As part of the PRESTO rollout on the TTC, a rollout on Wheel-Trans is planned before the end of 2016.

Does the upgrade mean I can use my PRESTO card on Wheel-Trans?

PRESTO is committed to providing a fare payment option for para-transit services such as Wheel-Trans. As part of the PRESTO rollout on the TTC, a rollout on Wheel-Trans is planned before the end of 2016. Once this rollout is complete, current PRESTO customers will be able to use their PRESTO cards on Wheel-Trans vehicles.

When I log onto my transaction history, I notice some of the TTC stops are incorrect; will this upgrade do anything to address this?

Yes. This upgrade will introduce more accurate stop locations during trips on streetcars and buses to reduce any confusion that may occur.

Will I be able to load funds through a Customer Service Outlet or Self-Serve Reload Machine?

It is recommended customers load funds onto their PRESTO card a few days before each update weekend. However, during these weekends, customers can visit their local customer service outlet to load funds. Self-Serve Reload Machines may not be in service during these update weekends.

When I log onto my transaction history, I notice some of the TTC stops are incorrect; will this upgrade do anything to address this?

Yes. This upgrade will introduce more accurate stop locations during trips on streetcars and buses to reduce any confusion that may occur.
I like the way that they refer to extra charges for transfers that should be free as "confusion", rather than "errors".

Metrolinx seems to have a systemic problem in taking responsibility.

They call it "confusion" because it isn't an error. You don't get charged extra. The transaction history just says you got on at a different location. Here's an example from my history (sorry for the ridiculous size):

vx1TpHs.png

That isn't where I got on the streetcar, but I didn't get charged twice, so it's not an error. It just says I got on at a different stop.

They call it "confusion" because it isn't an error. You don't get charged extra. The transaction history just says you got on at a different location. Here's an example from my history (sorry for the ridiculous size):

vx1TpHs.png

That isn't where I got on the streetcar, but I didn't get charged twice, so it's not an error. It just says I got on at a different stop.

I've only been using presto for about three weeks this has already has happened on a couple of occasions, both of which when I got on ttc going back to the direction I originally came from and presto sees it as a transfer.

We were in Ottawa for the weekend and it was great to be able to use Presto there which makes me really wonder about the Waterloo decision to use their own system. There must be many people who use both TTC and KW transit on a regular basis (far more than those using TTC and OC Transit) and having to have two cards/accounts will be a pain in the ass.

I've only been using presto for about three weeks this has already has happened on a couple of occasions, both of which when I got on ttc going back to the direction I originally came from and presto sees it as a transfer.

That's because the card reader doesn't know what route/direction it's on. It just knows (with some bugs) where it is. Every other transit system has times transfers. The TTC with Presto essentially has timed transfers on all surface routes and one-way transfers on the subway.

I've provided numerous examples over the last 7 months where extra has been charged.

Can you provide them again with a screencap of the transaction summary?

Back