News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 978     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Wow, that's pretty bad. I guess most regular TTC riders would never get a Presto card.

Why not? Many use tokens, and it's more convenient than tokens. And potentially cheaper with the tax credit.

Any pass user isn't going to use Presto anyway until it's fully implemented. And TTC has said they'll eliminate the separate passes shortly after Presto is fully implemented.

Most won't use it now because buses, most streetcars and half of the subway stations don't take Presto. Also the lack of monthly passes as mentioned.

But in a few years all TTC riders will be forced to use it. But yeah, it's not ready now.

I have a Presto card because my husband thought I should have one :) It's frustrating, though, because I always have to take the card and tokens just in case. (I don't use the TTC enough to have a MetroPass). It comes in handy the odd time I TTC to Union and then take the GO, but otherwise I never know if I'll get the new streetcars where I can use Presto and/or if the subway station I'll be using is Presto enabled. I probably get to use it less than 50% of the time and end up using tokens.

I always get a transfer just in case.

What I really want is an app so I don't have to carry a piece of plastic or tokens.

What troubles me with an app, is what do you do if the phone has crashed ... or the more likely you've run out of power? Unless they stick an RFID chip right in the phone ...

Also, for those of us that share passes ... that does eliminate apps.

It would certainly be easier once they get Presto everywhere. I have Presto because I live near a GO station, and take it often enough, that I don't want to ever have to wait to buy a ticket. TTC usage is just gravy. Though even the occasional business trip to Mississauga or York makes it worthwhile ... nice not to have to worry about carrying around change, and worry how fares and transfers work on unfamiliar bus systems.

I got a card for fun, but I can't really use it until the monthly pass (Metropass) is available and it's on every bus, streetcar and subway station.

What troubles me with an app, is what do you do if the phone has crashed ... or the more likely you've run out of power? Unless they stick an RFID chip right in the phone ...

Also, for those of us that share passes ... that does eliminate apps.
I've never run into that problem with my Starbucks app :) And my husband and I share that. If Starbucks can do it, so can the TTC.

I only use my card on the TTC when there's a station equipped with one just to get some usage on my card, even though I have a metropass. I don't always have the will-power to open my wallet and take out my metro pass sometimes, so just tap and go...

I've never run into that problem with my Starbucks app :) And my husband and I share that. If Starbucks can do it, so can the TTC.
Presumably the Starbucks add is a cash card, and doesn't given people unlimited coffee.

If two people are running the same app/account, then that's going to be a big issue for a monthly pass, compared to a cash card.

Though how do you use the Starbucks app on the phone if you have no power left? Does it use an RFID chip in the phone?

I only use my card on the TTC when there's a station equipped with one just to get some usage on my card, even though I have a metropass. I don't always have the will-power to open my wallet and take out my metro pass sometimes, so just tap and go...
If you don't take out your Presto card, how do you know that it's not applied the ride to your debit card or credit card - though perhaps they've disabled that function at all the stations for now.

Presumably the Starbucks add is a cash card, and doesn't given people unlimited coffee.

If two people are running the same app/account, then that's going to be a big issue for a monthly pass, compared to a cash card.

Though how do you use the Starbucks app on the phone if you have no power left? Does it use an RFID chip in the phone?

If you don't take out your Presto card, how do you know that it's not applied the ride to your debit card or credit card - though perhaps they've disabled that function at all the stations for now.

The point is that people want more options than simply just a card. Canadian Tire has an app and card for its loyalty program. If your phone is dead, you can revert back to the card... however, those who use the app are exclusively using the app. Majority of people walking around with a phone have already charged it to last the day.

These apps dont use RFID right now though. They rely on the smart phone being scanned. Something which the TTC/Presto cannot do.

Starbucks has autoload, as does my Presto card. So yes, unlimited coffee.

No monthly pass yet, so that's not a concern, but yes it would have to be figured out.

I keep my phone charged so I haven't had the problem of not being able to use the app. I know when it's getting low so I'd get it charged if I thought it was an issue.

The point is, the technology exists; I use apps for so many things that I used to need a plastic card for, I'd like to be able to do that on the TTC too.

In 2017 is when Open Payments and Mobile Payments will be enabled, so I don't have to worry which card was deducted. Apparently, development for a PRESTO App is in the works. And it'll be capable of having your card on your phone.

The point is that people want more options than simply just a card. Canadian Tire has an app and card for its loyalty program. If your phone is dead, you can revert back to the card... however, those who use the app are exclusively using the app. Majority of people walking around with a phone have already charged it to last the day.

These apps dont use RFID right now though. They rely on the smart phone being scanned. Something which the TTC/Presto cannot do.

The software that will be used in Toronto will be capable of such task. The WMATA payment pilot in Washington D.C is an example of open payments. Apparently, Accenture is involved. And it uses the same software that'll be used in Toronto. And look!, the same PRESTO beep!.

In 2017 is when Open Payments and Mobile Payments will be enabled, so I don't have to worry which card was deducted. Apparently, development for a PRESTO App is in the works. And it'll be capable of having your card on your phone.
It worked wonderfully for me in Chicago. I was able to load a 3 day pass to one of my tap credit cards and use the NFC feature that way.

The software that will be used in Toronto will be capable of such task. The WMATA payment pilot in Washington D.C is an example of open payments. Apparently, Accenture is involved. And it uses the same software that'll be used in Toronto. And look!, the same PRESTO beep!.
Washington is using Presto in everything except the name. As far as I know, it's the only sale Accenture has made of the Presto technology outside of Ontario.

Back