News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 460     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

It is on the side of my wallet that has only my health card and drivers license the same side it is on every time i tap (successfully) on GO, BT and MiWay. But at the new TTC station it does not work.

Now you need to open your wallet and tap only that side. New readers (Ottawa has the same issue) are much more sensitive.

Open Payment readers will be getting signals from multiple cards (credit, bank, presto, etc.) simultaneously and should be rejecting the tap as being indeterminate.

For most systems I keep the card I want to use (straight credit card more and more) in one flap of my wallet and all the other cards in the other flap, then flip it open when tapping.

So that's why. I've been tapping through the wallet, which isn't an issue at, say, Bloor or Dundas. Guess I'll have to take that card out, huh?

Given the increasing number of RFID cards that people are carrying, I don't see that there's any option other than taking the card out. Or you might find the fare has been charged to your VISA card instead of your Presto card - I'm not sure where they are using the credit/debit test devices these days.

One thing that crossed my mind, standing on a crowded new streetcar the other day:

Those readers by the streetcar doors are pretty much right at the same level of the pocket I keep my wallet in. If you are crush loaded in the streetcar, someone is going to be standing right next to that reader. I'm surprised this hasn't been an issue yet. But perhaps a reason to dial the sensitivity down a bit.

Question to those more informed about Presto: Apple has revealed that ApplePay which is coming to the UK next month will work with Oyster. So you'll be able to hop on the Tube by waving your AppleWatch or iPhone at the turnstiles.
ApplePay is expected in November in Canada. Is Presto technically capable of accepting NFC smartphone payments? How likely is it that this will be supported in the near future?

EDIT for further info: Without considering ApplePay specifically, if Presto is able to accept tap debit payments, it'll be able to accept ApplePay.

Last edited:
also, has anyone gotten the UPx PRESTO card? i'm seriously thinking of purchasing one just to have a card that isn't "standard"

As a Google fanboy, it saddens me that Google hasn't brought Wallet/Android Pay to Canada yet. Android has been capable of NFC payments for several years now, yet despite the terminals being readily available here.

That said, the TD app does let you pay with your phone, but it is restricted to Rogers, Bell, and Telus.

yes its capable.

When it will happen is up for debate.
From what I understand Presto version 2 is indeed fully capable of supporting any open payments systems.

I used this is in Chicago, and it was great. I was able to "load" a 3 day pass to my tappable credit card. I just used it when entering and leaving the faregates. Alternatively, you could tap on and off for single fares, and it was charged directly to you your card. I'd read on a few blogs before the trip that they were having some issues, but it worked seamlessly for me.

Handy tip for those who want easy Presto tapping:

Place the card between your phone and phone case, and simply tap your phone to the reader. I've been doing that since I got my Presto Card several years ago without any issues. It's actually funny seeing people's reactions after I tap my phone and continue in.

You don't have to worry about your other cards interfering when you do this.

Handy tip for those who want easy Presto tapping:

Place the card between your phone and phone case, and simply tap your phone to the reader. I've been doing that since I got my Presto Card several years ago without any issues. It's actually funny seeing people's reactions after I tap my phone and continue in.

You don't have to worry about your other cards interfering when you do this.
I thought they were starting to put RFID chips in phones these days.

Probably depends on your design. I tried it with my phone a couple of times, and when I pull the phone out of the case, the Presto card comes out too, and falls on the floor. I'd lose it pretty quickly answering phone calls without thinking!

I thought they were starting to put RFID chips in phones these days.

Probably depends on your design. I tried it with my phone a couple of times, and when I pull the phone out of the case, the Presto card comes out too, and falls on the floor. I'd lose it pretty quickly answering phone calls without thinking!

I use an iPhone. The NFC feature only works when you open the Apple Pay app and have your finger on the home button. I never remove my phone from the case, so don't have that issue.

I use an iPhone. The NFC feature only works when you open the Apple Pay app and have your finger on the home button. I never remove my phone from the case, so don't have that issue.
Ah, should work well then.

Though I wonder what protects the screen when you shove your phone in a pocket?

Ah, should work well then.

Though I wonder what protects the screen when you shove your phone in a pocket?

My screen protector. It's a sticky film that Fido installed when I bought the phone. Cost me a whole $10. Ive had 4 different iPhones in the past few years and never had any screen issues thanks to these.

https://www.ishieldz.com

My screen protector. It's a sticky film that Fido installed when I bought the phone. Cost me a whole $10. Ive had 4 different iPhones in the past few years and never had any screen issues thanks to these.
... hmm, maybe I shouldn't have pulled that off ... :)

Back