News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.4K     3 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 680     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 939     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

That’s putting yourself through 20 minutes of suffering as it inches though the highway 400 area
Last time, I took the Steeles bus and then a N-S bus down to Finch. Not sure how much time I really saved, but at least I was always moving.

new batch of construction notices:

1668808501138.png

1668808514238.png

1668808521933.png

1668808531107.png

1668808537471.png

work from kipling to milvan is moving along very quickly now (they've even begun installing OCS poles between kipling and islington), but i can't say the same from milvan to signet
if this project does end up being delayed it'll definitely be because of the slow progress from milvan to signet (especially the never ending utility work at finch and weston and under the cn bridge)

Has a "third party" been announced to build the pedestrian tunnel between Humber College Station and Etobicoke General Hospital?

Or will the out-patients, staff, and visitors have to play "frogger" to cross Highway 27?

A bridge might be better. Highway 27 slopes down south of Humber College Blvd. Then there's also a security issue with tunnels in area with less foot traffic during night time.

A bridge might be better. Highway 27 slopes down south of Humber College Blvd. Then there's also a security issue with tunnels in area with less foot traffic during night time.

I really hope a direct connection from the station to the hospital is built someday. I know the city and metrolinx likes to cost cut, and say that people can just walk and cross the highway instead, but a bridge would be ideal here as the hospital is directly across the station, and it would be very convenient and comfortable for patients and employees in an enclosed bridge. Think about winter or at night time. It wouldn't even have to be that expensive or lavish!

Here is a bridge in Toronto for CNIB that crosses over Bayview Avenue for people to access the southbound bus stop, and vice versa, even though there is a crosswalk just 50 metres away! The purpose of this argument is not to say that every road crossing should be a bridge. It's that the city isn't building pedestrian bridges where it would make it more convenient and comfortable for transit users, cyclists and pedestrians. They often make excuses that there won't be enough demand but continue to spend billions on car infrastructure!

1669085158463.png

Maybe I got carried away and just gush over how my university (and many others) have pedestrian bridges that connect all or most buildings throughout the campus. It is incredibly comfortable, especially when it's cold.

You might like this video.

Here is a bridge in Toronto for CNIB that crosses over Bayview Avenue for people to access the southbound bus stop, and vice versa, even though there is a crosswalk just 50 metres away! The purpose of this argument is not to say that every road crossing should be a bridge. It's that the city isn't building pedestrian bridges where it would make it more convenient and comfortable for transit users, cyclists and pedestrians. They often make excuses that there won't be enough demand but continue to spend billions on car infrastructure!

View attachment 440320
The intersection at Kilgour has only existed for the past 20 years or so - prior to that, the nearest signalized intersection was at Broadway, which is almost 400 meters away. That bridge predates it by probably another 40.

Dan

This is a speculative question, but does anyone know why - or can guess why - a Finch extension to Woodbine doesn’t seem to be on the radar? It seems like it would improve network connectivity at - what I’d assume - is a fairly reasonable cost.

Is it because the passenger numbers aren’t there, because so much is up in the air with the GTAA Transit hub, because the plans for Woodbine aren’t really set, or…?

Happy to take this to another thread as well.

This is a speculative question, but does anyone know why - or can guess why - a Finch extension to Woodbine doesn’t seem to be on the radar? It seems like it would improve network connectivity at - what I’d assume - is a fairly reasonable cost.

Is it because the passenger numbers aren’t there, because so much is up in the air with the GTAA Transit hub, because the plans for Woodbine aren’t really set, or…?

Probably has more to do with GTAA since any further extension of the line beyond Humber College would likely be to the Airport so we may as well do it all in one go then what we are doing with the EC, building to Renforth and then waiting for GTAA to get their affairs in order. As well I think an extension beyond Humber College is a pretty minor project when compared to some other items on the list. I can see it being part of the next round of expansions after the current one is done in the 2030's.

When is the Woodbine GO Station is to see Construct??

How long is the construction of the station to take place??

This will give you some idea of a timeframe when the extension will be on the radar.

As for any extension to the airport, it will be around 2040+ at the earliest.

Until the Woodbine GO Station is in service, you will have a guess number for ridership.

Sigh, the amount of work the construction workers are putting in for these useless canopies is just sad to see. Between these canopies, and the ones we have installed by Astral for bus/streetcar stops I dont know which ones are more useless. And those Astral one's can be installed in 1/4th the amount of time at a lower cost.

Probably has more to do with GTAA since any further extension of the line beyond Humber College would likely be to the Airport so we may as well do it all in one go then what we are doing with the EC, building to Renforth and then waiting for GTAA to get their affairs in order. As well I think an extension beyond Humber College is a pretty minor project when compared to some other items on the list. I can see it being part of the next round of expansions after the current one is done in the 2030's.
I'd think that a simple extension to the new GO station at Highway 27/Woodbine Racetrack would be the first step. We've not heard much about that either - presumably waiting for the redevelopment to pay for it. Perhaps they could do both in one go (one GO ... LOL!)

Back