News   Apr 25, 2024
 358     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Update from Hwy 400, maintence facility and road widening near Sentinel.

IMG_1576.JPG
IMG_1577.JPG
IMG_1572.JPG
IMG_1571.JPG
IMG_1569.JPG
IMG_1561.JPG
IMG_1560.JPG
IMG_1559.JPG
IMG_1558.JPG
IMG_1556.JPG
IMG_1555.JPG
IMG_1548.JPG
IMG_1546.JPG
IMG_1541.JPG
IMG_1537.JPG

A Bombardier LRT in China with fair gate payment and platform edge doors.

Why don't any of the new Ontario LRTs (which all have ATC) these features?
I don't think the fare gates and platform screen doors have anything to with the LRV being Bombardier.
From the video, looks like they have made the line to resemble more of a metro than a tram line (in operation).

(I also can't help but notice the roadway in the video is 8-lanes wide, per direction, without counting the LRT ROW)

No one's talking about the battery. I'd love to see some streetcar route stretches, perhaps on King, without the catenary.

I'd love to see the TTC get their beans in order with operating streetcars with wires, before we even think for a minute of some kind of fancy technology.

We're talking about an organization that's struggling to convert wires to be pantograph friendly, cant maintain and install a proper track switch network, and is obsessed with operating streetcars at a snails pace. I cant wait to see what tactics they'll use to cripple both the Finch West and Crosstown routes once they open.

Last edited:
Batteries are useful but I'm always skeptical of their environmental effect compared to just using wires. (especially at end of life and electricity efficiency)

I imagine the LRTs (I'm talking ROW light real with ATC capabilities and not street running streetcars) would be able to go faster if they had their tracks fenced off and their stations got platform edge doors. No?

Batteries are useful but I'm always skeptical of their environmental effect compared to just using wires. (especially at end of life and electricity efficiency)

I imagine the LRTs (I'm talking ROW light real with ATC capabilities and not street running streetcars) would be able to go faster if they had their tracks fenced off and their stations got platform edge doors. No?

Leave your smartphone in your car in an outdoor parking lot or driveway for a day and see if it will still operate at the end of the day. See link.

Leave your smartphone in your car in an outdoor parking lot or driveway for a day and see if it will still operate at the end of the day. See link.

Not that big of a problem in that regard. I'm very sure if they make a battery-powered train they would have a heating system to keep it at optimal temperatures as they do on electric cars.

Also, we will see what comes out of the e-bus pilot the TTC is doing right now.

Not that big of a problem in that regard. I'm very sure if they make a battery-powered train they would have a heating system to keep it at optimal temperatures as they do on electric cars.

Driving range decreases in electric cars in cold weather. Some models seem to be more affected than others.

They put buses (battery and diesel) inside garages overnight. That helps the battery buses in keeping them powered up, though generally they do plug them in.

Streetcars, light rail, and heavy rail (subway) are mostly stored outside, though they can be powered up overnight to keep warm. If they need cleaning or maintenance, they put them inside.

Back