News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 293     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 829     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

A bunch of excavators onsite at the future storage yard. In the first photo there's at least one more outside the picture on the left.

IMG_3880.JPG
IMG_3879.JPG

wait what? source?
July TTC CEO's report released yesterday.

Apparently because it's been too popular, Metrolinx is cutting it. I guess Verster was lying when he said they had all this extra money they don't need.

I just can't stop laughing at all the ignorant and naive deluded fools who had convinced themselves that a corrupt right-winger was going to be good for transit!

Edit - there's also a report from the Toronto Star, who have released the Metrolinx letter.

Last edited:

Apparently because it's been too popular, Metrolinx is cutting it. I guess Verster was lying when he said they had all this extra money they don't need.

I just can't stop laughing at all the ignorant and naive deluded fools who had convinced themselves that a corrupt right-winger was going to be good for transit!
Not entirely true:

"On June 18, 2019, the TTC and the City of Toronto received a letter from Metrolinx concerning the Discounted Double Fare (DDF) Agreement. Executed in 2017 by the TTC, the City and Metrolinx, the three-year Agreement provides discounted fares for customers transferring between GO/UP and the TTC. Under the Agreement, the revenue loss to Metrolinx and the TTC from the reduced fares is fully subsidized by the Province up to a cap of $18.4M per year. The purpose of the Agreement is twofold:
 To increase the use of GO/UP services within Toronto.
 To enable seamless customer journeys between the TTC and GO/UP systems, allowing for a transition period while making progress towards broader GTHA fare integration.
Metrolinx advises it now estimates that the program will exceed this financial year’s provincial funding cap by up to $10M and that funding may be exhausted as early as October 2019, well ahead of the Agreement’s expiration date of March 31, 2020. Phil Verster, President and CEO at Metrolinx, is proposing a “sustainable strategy for the continuation of this fare integration initiative, one that does not use a subsidy from the provincial government.” He proposes GO Transit and TTC continue to offer the DDF reduced fare without Provincial subsidy starting in October 2019. If the TTC continues with the program, there could be unanticipated budget pressures for the remainder of 2019 and all of 2020 due to the loss of the provincial subsidy. TTC staff is in discussion with the City and Metrolinx, and will be conducting a detailed cost-benefit analysis. Staff will report to the Board in September with our analysis and seek direction on the future of the program. "

Hopefully, this will change by the transit agencies absorbing the cost. Failing that, we may have to wait three more years until we get a Liberal, NDP, or Green government.

Not entirely true:
How not true? Verster proposed that TTC continue to offer the $1.50 discount for those transferring from GO/UP, but get $0 in compensation, instead of the full compensation they get now.

That's a 100% cut.

Hopefully, this will change by the transit agencies absorbing the cost. Failing that, we may have to wait three more years until we get a Liberal, NDP, or Green government.
With what money? In the budget, the Ford government already cut $1.1 billion in funding to TTC. And now more cuts? We all knew that this is the history of Conservative governments, since the collapse of the red Tories in the 1980s.

https://www.thestar.com/politics/pr...11-billion-in-funding-to-toronto-transit.html

The narrow isles and the 4 seats that face each other. No legroom and is awkward, and bad from an efficient movement of passengers perspective. For anyone sitting behind the driver on a crowded train, you're going to be in for a fun time trying to get to the doors.

Never been inside a tram, light rail vehicle, metro, or tube car outside of Toronto, I see.

The narrow isles and the 4 seats that face each other. No legroom and is awkward, and bad from an efficient movement of passengers perspective. For anyone sitting behind the driver on a crowded train, you're going to be in for a fun time trying to get to the doors.

If you can find a way to build a low floor lrt that doesnt require any space for the wheels, id love to see it.

This seat layout is because of the disabilities act. 100% low floor is a requirement. Don't like it? Vote for someone who doesnt care about the disabled.

Im ok with slightly awkward facing seats so that someone in a wheelchair has easy access to our transit.

Back