News   May 14, 2024
 103     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 277     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Since John Tory offered to pay for it, yes it is a city project. Originally, Metrolinx was responsible for the whole thing.

When it will be built is anyone's guess, and right now it's just a part of the city's $22+ billion worth of unfunded capital expenditures.

Metrolinx cancelled their agreement to pay for the Eglinton West extension LONG before Tory became mayor.

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/ne...le4312188/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2010/03/26/miller_outraged_as_budget_sideswipes_gta_transit.html

Much of transit city was postponed indefinitely, including the Jane, Don Mills, Malvern LRTs and Finch LRT from Yonge to Keele, as well as Crosstown from the airport to Mount Dennis aka Crosstown West.

The original plan for Transit City had everything, and the province initially agreed to all of it, and then in 2010 reneged and pulled funding.

The western section between Mount Dennis and Toronto Pearson International Airport was postponed as a result of provincial funding cuts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transit_City

Metrolinx cancelled their agreement to pay for the Eglinton West extension LONG before Tory became mayor.

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/ne...le4312188/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2010/03/26/miller_outraged_as_budget_sideswipes_gta_transit.html

Much of transit city was postponed indefinitely, including the Jane, Don Mills, Malvern LRTs and Finch LRT from Yonge to Keele, as well as Crosstown from the airport to Mount Dennis aka Crosstown West.

The original plan for Transit City had everything, and the province initially agreed to all of it, and then in 2010 reneged and pulled funding.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transit_City
Metrolinx never cancelled their agreement to pay for Eglinton West, they simply deferred it's construction much like they did with the Sheppard East LRT. Tory than came out and said that it would be part of Smartrack, and the city took over the planning for it's construction from Metrolinx. The city had no involvement in it's planning and construction prior to Tory's offer.

As you can see, the city has not been involved with the planning for the Finch West LRT since Metrolinx has assumed responsibility. This was supposed to be the case with the Eglinton West LRT as well.

If I look at the Ontario debt, it was 268.0B at the end of 2013/14 (roughly the time that Wynne won the previous election. Now it is 325.0B for the end of this fiscal year.
That's $57B.

If we had kicked the Liberals out 4 years earlier, we would have had an ECLRT grade-separated through Scarborough, and $57B to put towards other transit projects.
Finch would have likely become BRT.

So basically, this FWLRT is costing us $57B - a pretty expensive transit line if you ask me. And some people say that LRT is less expensive.

If I look at the Ontario debt, it was 268.0B at the end of 2013/14 (roughly the time that Wynne won the previous election. Now it is 325.0B for the end of this fiscal year.
That's $57B.

So basically, this FWLRT is costing us $57B - a pretty expensive transit line if you ask me. And some people say that LRT is less expensive.

That was a Trumpian leap of logic there. Or should I say illogic.

To connect a rising debt caused to countless government activities (some related to transit and some not) to a single transit line is really amazing. How did you do that?

That's $57B.

If we had kicked the Liberals out 4 years earlier, we would have had an ECLRT grade-separated through Scarborough, and $57B to put towards other transit projects.

Yet another post on here, and likely not the first of yours, that leads me to believe there is a breach from some alternate reality.

I am really confused, the contract was awarded long ago, why aren't we seeing more construction ?

1. Can't do EVERYTHING at the same time because of the cost and lack of skilled workers available to do everything at the same time.

2. Better to complete one project (IE. the Crosstown LRT surface tracks), then do the next one (IE. Finch West LRT), and plan for the next one after that (IE. either the Crosstown LRT East or Crosstown LRT West).

3. Better to spread out the projects which would come out of our taxes.

That's $57B.

How do you pull those numbers out of your ass? The government has plenty of expenditures, transit (transportation in general actually) is something like 3-6% of the Ontario budget. It's grouped in with the "other expenditures" (which make up about 12% of the budget). If we are to evenly distribute the debt over 4 years to this, let's say 5% of the debt, that would mean 2.85 billion dollars in Ontario debt that was spent on transit. That money has to be spent on GO RER investment, the FWLRT, the TYSSE, 401 widening, 407 East, HWY 412, HWY 418, the Eglinton Crosstown, HOV/HOT Lanes improvement, the Waterloo Region iON LRT, Freeway SOGR, bridge infrastructure (ie Burlington Skyway), HWY 7 Ext, etc. With such a large portfolio of projects needing funding, don't think that the 1 billion dollars for the FWLRT will magically go to Eglinton.

And for the second time, Finch West cannot sustain itself running with buses. It is not acceptable having a bus route with 40K+ PPD. We hardly find it acceptable for the streetcars, and they carry three times as many people as the buses. Finch west is being built as an LRT because it needs more capacity, not because we want rapid transit.

2. Better to complete one project (IE. the Crosstown LRT surface tracks), then do the next one (IE. Finch West LRT), and plan for the next one after that (IE. either the Crosstown LRT East or Crosstown LRT West).

Hopefully, some staggering is possible. Once the Eglinton crew is done installing the rails, they can move to Finch, while other crews will finish the electric systems and the station interiors for Eglinton.

What do you mean by “Eglinton crew”?

A sub-contractor working on the Eglinton project, and performing a specific task. I am pretty sure the sub-contractors are specialized. Those who install the tiles and rails, do not install electric wiring, light fixtures, or drywalls.

Metrolinx never cancelled their agreement to pay for Eglinton West, they simply deferred it's construction much like they did with the Sheppard East LRT. Tory than came out and said that it would be part of Smartrack, and the city took over the planning for it's construction from Metrolinx. The city had no involvement in it's planning and construction prior to Tory's offer.

As you can see, the city has not been involved with the planning for the Finch West LRT since Metrolinx has assumed responsibility. This was supposed to be the case with the Eglinton West LRT as well.

You are misunderstanding the past.

Metrolinx never defered this portion of the Finch West LRT.

It has always been on Metrolinx's books. Ford tried to cancel it in 2011 but was unsuccessful.

What Metrolinx deferred, and still has deferred is the Finch LRT from Keele to Yonge. Which was in the original plan of Transit City, as was the Eglinton LRT from Kennedy to the Airport. Metrolinx simply deferred the portion from Mount Dennis to the airport, which we now refer to as Eglinton West.

You must be unfamiliar with politics. Deferment is a fancy PC word for cancellation in the political realm, as to not upset people. It basically means funds allocated to that project are stopped, so it becomes nothing more than lines on a map again.

You are misunderstanding the past.

Metrolinx never defered this portion of the Finch West LRT.

It has always been on Metrolinx's books. Ford tried to cancel it in 2011 but was unsuccessful.

What Metrolinx deferred, and still has deferred is the Finch LRT from Keele to Yonge. Which was in the original plan of Transit City, as was the Eglinton LRT from Kennedy to the Airport. Metrolinx simply deferred the portion from Mount Dennis to the airport, which we now refer to as Eglinton West.

You must be unfamiliar with politics. Deferment is a fancy PC word for cancellation in the political realm, as to not upset people. It basically means funds allocated to that project are stopped, so it becomes nothing more than lines on a map again.
Where in my previous statement did I say Metrolinx deferred the Finch West LRT? If you go back and re-read my previous statement, I specifically stated that Metrolinx deferred the western segment of the Eglinton West LRT.

Trust me, I am very familiar with how politics works, I dont need a tutorial about it.

Where in my previous statement did I say Metrolinx deferred the Finch West LRT? If you go back and re-read my previous statement, I specifically stated that Metrolinx deferred the western segment of the Eglinton West LRT.

Trust me, I am very familiar with how politics works, I dont need a tutorial about it.

You were alluding to the fact that the province had any plans to fund the Eglinton West LRT like the Finch West LRT portion being built now. After 2009, this was not the case. You can't simply say "they were going to do it, trust me guys!"

They deferred the funds and there is zero evidence they ever had any plan to refund it again. Theres no proof of that.

You were alluding to the fact that the province had any plans to fund the Eglinton West LRT like the Finch West LRT portion being built now. After 2009, this was not the case. You can't simply say "they were going to do it, trust me guys!"

They deferred the funds and there is zero evidence they ever had any plan to refund it again. Theres no proof of that.
I was alluding to the fact that the Eglinton West LRT was on the provinces books up until John Tory put his hand up and offered to take it off of their hands. I'm well aware that the province deferred it, much in the same way the city has deferred $22+ billion of capital projects.

But like I said in my initial point:

Metrolinx never cancelled their agreement to pay for Eglinton West, they simply deferred it's construction much like they did with the Sheppard East LRT.

The city has not been involved with the planning for the Finch West LRT since Metrolinx has assumed responsibility
. Much like they did with Eglinton West up until Tory offered to pay for it.

Back