69     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 404     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.2K     4 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

DgAhdTKXkAUtvvb.jpg

From link.

There are a bunch of lawn signs around the area along finch calling for "subways not LRT" "commutor chaos" and "call Mayor Tory" etc. I didn't snap any pics. There also a bigger sign telling people to go to this meeting at islington and steeles.

It seems that this project may be in jeopardy, hopefully not but we will see.

^The way Ford has already instituted a hiring freeze with the Public Sector, it wouldn't surprise me if he freezes this project as well. That freeze of course ultimately leading to a cancellation.

In all honestly and with politics aside, I'm reading this as Metrolinx incompetence and not getting project out faster and under construction; instead of the last minute shenanigans that they have been pulling lately.

^The way Ford has already instituted a hiring freeze with the Public Sector, it wouldn't surprise me if he freezes this project as well. That freeze of course ultimately leading to a cancellation.

Meh, this project was already frozen by McGuinty/Wynne with the lengthy foot-dragging, so I wouldn't be phased if the Ford gov't does the same. Not to mention that the previous gov't already effectively 'canceled' it when they signed an MOU with Rob Ford to divert all Prov funds to an underground Eglinton Crosstown (i.e no Sheppard or Finch LRTs). This would just be a continuation of that.

Ignoring homeowners or mom+pop shops and focusing on the industrial properties north and south of Finch W, is there a real concern? I feel like there is. The logistics of bringing in tractor-trailers across intersections with a segregated rail line was possibly glossed-over in the past. Obviously Giorgio can be zany, but maybe he does have a point with this particular issue.

Ignoring homeowners or mom+pop shops and focusing on the industrial properties north and south of Finch W, is there a real concern? I feel like there is. The logistics of bringing in tractor-trailers across intersections with a segregated rail line was possibly glossed-over in the past. Obviously Giorgio can be zany, but maybe he does have a point with this particular issue.

It might be trickier but CityPlace showed beyond any doubt that doing so dozens of times per day is practical on a street like Spadina; and the Finch design at a glance looks friendlier than Spadina for trucks. Even extra long/wide loads (equipment transporters) didn't do anything particularly special when crossing the tracks.

They will have a concern with tall loads like a dump truck with the bed raised; those will have issues with bridges and streetlights too.

The LRT has a builder that is contractually obligated to complete this thing on time. Several hundreds of millions of dollars have already been spent. Huge fines would have to be paid by the government. Nothing is impossible, but stopping the project at this point seems highly unlikely.

The LRT has a builder that is contractually obligated to complete this thing on time. Several hundreds of millions of dollars have already been spent. Huge fines would have to be paid by the government. Nothing is impossible, but stopping the project at this point seems highly unlikely.

Could this become Ford's Gas Plant Scandal?

Could this become Ford's Gas Plant Scandal?

Only if he is foolish enough to make a bad decision. I’m not a fan, but I doubt he’s *that* foolish.

While Mammo may be a loyal soldier, he can’t actually deliver anything Ford needs. His talent is making noise, and comically. I doubt Ford owes him enough to help him out on this. It’s a case of one being the organ grinder ..... and the other being the monkey.

- Paul

Only if he is foolish enough to make a bad decision. I’m not a fan, but I doubt he’s *that* foolish.
I have no doubt he's that foolish. Or perhaps simply ignorant and unable to read at an appropriate reading level.

The question is, will those who understand the implications, be able to restrain him.

If I were Doug Ford, I would stand back and allow for the Finch West LRT to be built. That way, I show how bad the LRT service is and then state how subways are the better option.

It might be trickier but CityPlace showed beyond any doubt that doing so dozens of times per day is practical on a street like Spadina; and the Finch design at a glance looks friendlier than Spadina for trucks. Even extra long/wide loads (equipment transporters) didn't do anything particularly special when crossing the tracks.

They will have a concern with tall loads like a dump truck with the bed raised; those will have issues with bridges and streetlights too.

There are plenty of warehouses on both sides of Hurontario Street between Highway 407 and Matheson Boulevard. That LRT has had very little opposition apart from affluent NIMBYs in Downtown Brampton and the Mineola and Port Credit neighbourhoods in Mississauga.

If I were Doug Ford, I would stand back and allow for the Finch West LRT to be built. That way, I show how bad the LRT service is and then state how subways are the better option.

Yes. I’m sure users will be gasping in horror as they realize that nearly all of them will get a seat at peak hour. The crowded cattle cars were better.

Anyways you surely can’t believe that subways are a better option for Finch West, right?

Meh, this project was already frozen by McGuinty/Wynne with the lengthy foot-dragging, so I wouldn't be phased if the Ford gov't does the same. Not to mention that the previous gov't already effectively 'canceled' it when they signed an MOU with Rob Ford to divert all Prov funds to an underground Eglinton Crosstown (i.e no Sheppard or Finch LRTs). This would just be a continuation of that.

The FWLRT EA identified alternative routes for the trucks. They’ll be fine

Back