News   Apr 22, 2024
 806     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 271     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 683     0 

Metrolinx $55 Billion Plan

I think it won't divert trips from the highways because someone living along the line probably isn't going to use the Gardiner to get from Queen West to Yonge (for example). They would probably just stick to city streets.

My two cents anyway.

Building new transit lines downtown will most definitely divert people off the DVP and the Gardiner as their benefits extend far beyond those literally living along the line. Everyone forgets that many of the people riding transit lines downtown are the same ones riding lines in the suburbs; both ends of these trips need to be improved and GO lines can only do so much for so many people. A DRL or even the "downtown core" line would make downtown transit less of a total farce, would benefit the average suburban transit user as much as (or more than) moving their greenbelt-hugging local route from buses to busways or streetcars, and would divert umpteen thousand downtown-bound travellers off the highways.

Even while public meetings continue, internal progress on the RTP proposals is continuing. Some interesting points are in agenda documents for Friday's Metrolinx board meeting. Specifically, a review of Benefits Case Analysis progress on several major projects indicates the following:

SRT Replacement/extension
- conversion to grade-separated LRT is on the table. If so, extension past McCowan would be partially grade-separated.
- If not converted to LRT, there are options being considered to get to Malvern via the Sheppard East LRT. with the SRT only going to Markham/Sheppard.
- should get info at November board meeting and a decision in January

Yonge North Subway
- options for four or six stations being considered
- recommendation to board in November

Eglinton Crosstown
- Transit City, TC plus extended tunneled section, or fully-grade separated LRT all on table
- note that for subway/ALRT conspiracy theorists, the term "LRT" is used for all options.
- mentions bundling with SRT as a single line - presumably if SRT is converted to LRT as there is no discussion of building Eglinton using ALRT technology.
-decision in January

Sheppard / Finch
- options for keeping separate routes, continuous corridor via Sheppard West, continuous corridor via Finch East and Don Mills, or extending the Sheppard subway to Downsview and Consumer's Road and using on the ends.
- decision in January

Lakeshore GO electrification
- options to electrify existing service for improved train performance, or to electrify and expand to significantly improve service levels and capacity
- latter seems to be an early start for regional express
-decision in January

Analysis is being done by Steer Davies Gleave (SDG), a transportation consulting firm.

Overall, it seems as if Metrolinx is bringing some good options onto the table that were not fully considered by Transit City and other plans. The timelines are fairly tight indicating that these should not be massive additional planning exercises on top of the EAs. Of course, they are - in some cases - overriding decisions already made at the TTC level. We'll have to see what the City of Toronto reaction is to these things. In most cases, they are looking at sensible things - connecting Finch West and Sheppard East, converting SRT to LRT technology, and considering whether Eglinton should serve as a true crosstown route without reverting to local operations on the end segments outside of the proposed tunnel. All of these could be useful changes.

Good to see that Metrolinx is giving a sober second thought to the SRT extension, the City/TTC seemed dead set on retaining the SRT and extending it.

Sheppard / Finch
- options for keeping separate routes, continuous corridor via Sheppard West, continuous corridor via Finch East and Don Mills, or extending the Sheppard subway to Downsview and Consumer's Road and using the LRTs in between.

I don't quite understand the last option. LRTs in between where? Don't they mean on both ends of a Sheppard line extending from Downsview to Consumers?

I wonder if any of this funding is in jeapordy because of the economic slowdown....or if the province will work to accelerate it!

Lrt=alrv

"Eglinton Crosstown
- Transit City, TC plus extended tunneled section, or fully-grade separated LRT all on table
- note that for subway/ALRT conspiracy theorists, the term "LRT" is used for all options.
- mentions bundling with SRT as a single line - presumably if SRT is converted to LRT as there is no discussion of building Eglinton using ALRT technology.
-decision in January"

I wish that an Eglinton RT were only in the minds of conspiracy theorists, but..
Options 1 and 2 are what we refer to as "true lrt" (streetcars).
'Option 3: LRT (100 percent segregated right of way)' is in fact ICTS Mark 2 technology.
Toronto's SRT(Mark 1), Detroit's People Mover(Mark 1) and Vancouver's Sky Train(Mark 2) can all be technically described as Light rail, as they are by Metrolinx which causes a lot of confusion.

Likewise Metrolinx labels Eglinton 'rapid transit', a catch-all category that includes buses (like Viva), streetcars and Sky Train. In common speak only dedicated streetcars and Bombardier's Automated Rapid Transit (ART) Mark 2 are being considered for Eglinton and a response is currently expected in about 3 months. A look at decision making process
http://stevemunro.ca/?p=1208

There is a huge push for Mark 2, both for jobs in Thunder Bay and for helping promote Bombardier's proprietary tech abroad. These may be primarily Provincial (not Toronto) interests but the city can't afford to replace the SRT or build a true LRT on Eglinton without big help from Metrolinx (the Province).

Roger B

There is no need to keep using ALRT on the SRT or even on elginton. Bombardier will be building our subway cars for a long time, and they will likely get the order for new LRV's.

If eglinton needed something better than the planed LRT line (which it does not), then the tunneled section of eglinton could be extended, they could build elevated sections( as would happen with a ALRT line) or make use of the empty fields next to eglinton west.

ALRT technology actually came from some hair brained scheme by the province to run maglev trains along eglinton (hence the linear induction motors). When they realized that their technology is useless, they forced it upon the SRT line. Building the Eglinton line as ALRT would just be continuing the mistake of that technology.

I can't help but laugh every time some one mentions that the kennedy SRT station already points west. Since the new Mark II cars cant handle the curve into that station, plans for the refurbishment of the SRT include building a new station at ground level in a north south direction.

I wonder if any of this funding is in jeapordy because of the economic slowdown....or if the province will work to accelerate it!

When the original streetcar right-of-way on St. Clair West was removed in the depression of the 1930's, it was a make work project.

Metrolinx should be the make work project for this recession.

There is no need to keep using ALRT on the SRT or even on elginton. Bombardier will be building our subway cars for a long time, and they will likely get the order for new LRV's.

If eglinton needed something better than the planed LRT line (which it does not), then the tunneled section of eglinton could be extended, they could build elevated sections( as would happen with a ALRT line) or make use of the empty fields next to eglinton west.

Totally agree.

If Eglinton needs ALRT speed/capacity, it still can be implemented using LRT vehicles / track gauge / power collection, but tailored for faster / higher volume service compared to other TC lines. It can use off-road or elevated alignment for some sections east of Bayview and west of Black Creek, and perhaps even be tunneled between Kennedy and Vic Park. Stops spacing can be wider and a parallel local bus service retained.

Yet, the line will remain compatible with other TC lines, allowing emergency rerouting, common maintenance facilities, and cheaper procurement.

Toronto Star

Transit plan bolder than its budget
First six improvements evaluated will likely consume all of $11.5B committed to Metrolinx

October 25, 2008
TESS KALINOWSKI
TRANSPORTATION REPORTER

It's a record investment in public transportation in Ontario.

But, against the backdrop of a global economic decline, it is becoming increasingly clear how few of the dozens of transportation improvements outlined in last month's 25-year Metrolinx plan can be covered by the $11.5 billion the province has committed to spending.

It is also increasingly obvious that the municipal politicians on the Metrolinx board will be faced with the tricky prospect of selling their constituents on the regional rather than the local benefits of their plan.

Projects can't be divvied up politically, warned Mississauga Mayor Hazel McCallion at yesterday's Metrolinx board meeting.

"We have to support the projects that can have the most impact on gridlock," she said.

The first six projects Metrolinx will analyze include electrifying the GO Transit Lakeshore line; the Sheppard-Finch and Eglinton Crosstown portions of Toronto's Transit City light rail plan; the final phases of York Region's Viva bus rapid transit; expanding Scarborough Rapid Transit, and extending the Yonge subway. The six could easily consume the entire $11.5 billion committed so far, noted Durham Region chair Roger Anderson.

And Metrolinx hasn't begun tackling the issue of operating costs, also expected to run into the billions, said York Region chair Bill Fisch.

"All of us have agreed we have to come up with a strategy around operating," he said.

"Collectively or individually, none of us will be able to afford that on the property tax dollar."

While the province's funding plan, announced in June 2007, was based on the assumption that it would pick up two-thirds of the cost of the transit improvements, leaving the remaining third, $6 billion, to the federal government, municipalities are being told they will have to contribute if they want more than a bare-bones system, said Metrolinx chair Rob MacIsaac.

"I think that the board is starting to deal with the cold, hard realities of prioritizing money. Perhaps the economic downturn provides a backdrop, which makes the discussion even more clear," he said. "I think it's positive that the board is realizing there are limits and that there's going to be a real need to be prudent with these dollars and have a program that's going to make sure that nobody's gold-plating things and the taxpayer's getting good value."

The six projects being evaluated will still have to go through a cost analysis, after their scope is defined, and the board isn't obligated to support them, said Metrolinx general manager John Howe.

But all six are farthest along in terms of the required design, planning and environmental assessments.

"We want to be ready to put shovels in the ground. It so happens these six are ready for construction in 2009 or 2010," Howe said.

The board began yesterday considering the parameters of the Viva expansion, which would cost about $2.4 billion when fully built.

"I have to give York a lot of credit ... because they have realigned all their land-use policies along these corridors, Highway 7 and Yonge St., to be transit supportive," Howe said.

"I think it's one of the untold success stories in the GTA. If you go to the Markham City Centre area ... you can see the transformation."

National Post

Rob MacIsaac vs. gridlock
Posted: October 24, 2008, 6:19 PM by Rob Roberts
Kuitenbrouwer

Rob MacIsaac, the former mayor of Burlington, may be the most soft-spoken man on Earth, which is perhaps a good trait to have for his new job, which is to knit together the fiefdoms of greater Toronto’s transportation infrastructure, i.e., Brampton Transit, Missisauga Transit, the TTC, GO Transit, York Regional Transit, etc., into something that works. After what he calls “a generation of lost investment,” this will not be easy.

Mr. MacIsaac, chair of Metrolinx and pictured above, drove up to the National Post offices in Don Mills the other day to share with our editorial board his new plan, which he called The Big Move: Transforming Transportation in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area.

He usually takes the GO train from Burlington to his office at the foot of Bay Street, but, he says, “I drove today because you guys are so inaccessible.” Writ large, of course, this is the problem of Toronto: you can’t get easily to most places in town by transit, so you drive.

Mr. MacIsaac, who has a budget of about $14-million and a staff of 50 people, has lots of keen ideas, such as electrifying GO’s Lakeshore express rail line, extending the Yonge and Spadina subways, running rapid transit on Finch Street West, Sheppard Street East, and on Eglinton Avenue, and bringing rapid transit to Durham and York regions, to downtown Hamilton, Brampton and Mississauga.

We dearly need all these things, but the problem is cash; as for imposing road tolls to pay for all this, Mr. MacIsaac, in a word, chickened out.
“I do not believe that, as the Bloc Québécois says, that we have the winning conditions for that proposal,” he says. “I’m not naive, I don’t think the public will ever rise up and demand road tolls. But I do think that we can create a better set of conditions for a discussion of sustainability than we currently have. We are a brand new transportation agency. We haven’t really delivered on anything yet.”

So how do we get the first $11-million for the first projects? Easy: change the accounting rules!

“These dollars will be spent in accordance with accrual basis accounting, which is a relatively new advent of the province, which allows them to amortize these costs over the useful lilfe of the capital project,” Mr. MacIsaac says. “I expect that the money will be borrowed by the province and accrued over the life of the project which allows a favourable accounting treatment.”

Another courageous move, of course, would be to smush the seven transit systems in Greater Toronto into one big, seamless web of bus, streetcar, train and subway lines, but as Mr. MacIsaac points out, there remain ideological differences about the right way to run a railroad. He is in favour of private involvement, noting that Bombardier operates GO Transit on the heavy rail lines already, whereas in York, Veolia, a U.K. conglomerate, designed, built, operates and maintains the VIVA bus service.

“We are more than open to private involvement .... to design, build and — in some cases — finance, operate and maintain the systems,” he says. “But there are parts of the region and elements on my board who are very reticent about it. My view is that we need to use the private sector wherever it makes sense. York has shown itself quite open, and the City of Toronto has a pretty well-known reticence.” Councillor Adam Giambrone (Davenport), who is chair of the TTC, Councillor Norm Kelly (Scarborough-Agincourt), and Mayor David Miller, make up 3 of 11 Metrolinx board members.

In the meantime, Mr. MacIsaac has other plans, namely, to take over GO Transit and, in the process, get some “operational heft.”

“We’ve got 50 people today,” he says. “By pooling resources with GO Transit we can get some bench strength that will allow us access to project management expertise and just generally capacity that we don’t actually have. It could well be a reverse takeover because it would be 50 people taking over about 1300. Our legislation says that GO Transit would become a division of Metrolinx.”

I confess I’m a little troubled by this last bit. I swung by Union Station the other morning to watch the GO trains roll in. Pulled by sleek new MP40 locomotives, which look almost like big green bullet trains, three trains pulled in, bells clanging, in a five minute period, each disgorging a tsunami of workers. This is, today, already the regional bit of our transit network, plus it’s the fastest-growing and most successful component. It ain’t broke and it don’t need fixing.

Mr. MacIsaac would be better off to spend his time fixing transit in Mississauga, Brampton and York Region, and linking them to the TTC, than tinkering with the one bit that works.

---

The one bit that works? GO?

Don Mills road inaccessible? That's a bit bizarre. It's only about 20-25 minutes on the Don Mills 25 bus from Pape station. I'd think that MacIsaac would have been jumping at chances to take the subway and bus up there, given that this is one of the routes that Metrolinx is looking at upgrading. That proposed LRT is only going to shave a few minutes off the current service at peak.

Back