367     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 311     1 

McEwan

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Just a quick review/description of the City's newest 'food emporium'.

I dropped by McEwan on Friday for the grand opening.

The new food market from Mark McEwan of North 44, Bymark, One, Heat fame has opened up at the Shops at Don Mills.

Assorted observations:

Appearance: Looks fine, like an upmarket grocery store, but nothing that would blow you away.

Highlights: A very nice prepared food counter, they called it RMR (restaurant meal replacements) the place is staffed by his chefs from his restaurants and presumably some new hires.

Interesting offers: Duck Confit to go; Some succulent looking ribs; a Tuna salad with fresh, not canned tuna in it; a $13.00 version of mac n'cheese with blue cheese, real Parmesan, and sliced truffle.

Also the meat counter has a wide variety of steaks, including Australian Wagyu Beef (Kobe); that is $150.00 a kilo.

Lots of homemade pickled products and sauces.

Live Scallops (still in the shell)

Some very fancy truffles (as in chocolate)

And real TRUFFLE for sale too, I think it was $1.52 per gram.

Oh any any in search of a way to blow money; 100-year aged Balsamic Vinegar only $520.00! :eek:

On the whole not bad, but not as amazing as you would think. If you take out the prepared foods, and the one or two super flashy expensive items, it feels very much like Pusateri's or Whole Foods except with fewer organic options.

On price, taking out the absurdly expensive stuff........ not great, not terrible. I noticed they had Schneider's Bacon cheaper that most markets, and competitively priced milk/butter; then again they wanted up to a 50% premium on some other 'everyday' items you might get at a Loblaws or Sobeys. Coke was $2.69 a bottle.

Bottom line, worth it as destination trip for something really special where you were want the truffle or the the live scallops; but probably not a good every day shopping choice for most people's wallets.

So basically, this place is competition for Pusateri's.

Just a quick review/description of the City's newest 'food emporium'.

I dropped by McEwan on Friday for the grand opening.

The new food market from Mark McEwan of North 44, Bymark, One, Heat fame has opened up at the Shops at Don Mills.

Assorted observations:

Appearance: Looks fine, like an upmarket grocery store, but nothing that would blow you away.

Highlights: A very nice prepared food counter, they called it RMR (restaurant meal replacements) the place is staffed by his chefs from his restaurants and presumably some new hires.

Interesting offers: Duck Confit to go; Some succulent looking ribs; a Tuna salad with fresh, not canned tuna in it; a $13.00 version of mac n'cheese with blue cheese, real Parmesan, and sliced truffle.

Also the meat counter has a wide variety of steaks, including Australian Wagyu Beef (Kobe); that is $150.00 a kilo.

Lots of homemade pickled products and sauces.

Live Scallops (still in the shell)

Some very fancy truffles (as in chocolate)

And real TRUFFLE for sale too, I think it was $1.52 per gram.

Oh any any in search of a way to blow money; 100-year aged Balsamic Vinegar only $520.00! :eek:

On the whole not bad, but not as amazing as you would think. If you take out the prepared foods, and the one or two super flashy expensive items, it feels very much like Pusateri's or Whole Foods except with fewer organic options.

On price, taking out the absurdly expensive stuff........ not great, not terrible. I noticed they had Schneider's Bacon cheaper that most markets, and competitively priced milk/butter; then again they wanted up to a 50% premium on some other 'everyday' items you might get at a Loblaws or Sobeys. Coke was $2.69 a bottle.

Bottom line, worth it as destination trip for something really special where you were want the truffle or the the live scallops; but probably not a good every day shopping choice for most people's wallets.

I don't know why, but the "everyday" items are strange (such as Coke, ect.) in a store like this.

I'm sure as time goes on and he gets a feel for his consumers, Mark will make adjustments.

I seemed to notice a lot more Canadian produce and grocery items than at U.S.-based Whole Foods. Really good granola by La fourmi bionique, for instance. I also found some fresh black and white currants, something you don't see everyday.

I stopped in for a look around and pick up a sandwich until i saw it was $9.99 for tiny sandwich. I was thinking where is the rest of it? Store is nice size and has a large selection of meats, sea food and the prices were beyond ridiculous which was expected. I would rather eat out at North 44 for those prices, or buy the meat from Cumbraes. Lot's of people in there just looking around, Going by the Ferrari's and fancy cars in the parking lot some people wont care that he is over charging on a lot of products, It will be interesting to see how the store will do. I still think whole foods is a much better store.

Back