News   Jul 05, 2024
 2.6K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.8K     12 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 660     0 

MCC: Confederation Parkway Bridge

I still think the bike lanes should be separated from the street by a curb like they do in Montreal. Makes it safer for both car and bike.
Makes it impossible to plow. In Montreal they get a lot more snow, and they just abandon the bike lanes in the winter. However here, many cyclists keep going in the winter.

If it is possible to plow sidewalks and multi-use trails, why is it not possible to plow bike paths?
Because they are adjacent to the road. All the snow get's piled on the bike path. Now they do truck the snow away there after every storm (getting a lot more than here), but with the permanent installation, it's too narrow for the plows and snow blower to fit in.

snow will get piled up on non-segregated lanes anyway.

while a separated design may prove a little more troublesome, i don't think that snow removal should be a barrier if separated lanes are - as some attest - the only way to get numbers up.

i think its more an issue of will.
if there is a will to have year-round cycling, there can be.

maybe we should concentrate first - in mississauga anyway - on getting suitable cycling conditions for fair weather...

Oct 15-08
2945784560_6a1f7e88e6.jpg

Drive down Confederation Toward the city core

Mississauga News

Name of bridge honours former municipal councillor

Joseph Chin
November 20, 2008 09:12 AM

Mississauga's snazzy new bridge will be called the Thomas J. Dale Bridge.

The decision, by a unanimous vote of City of Mississauga councillors, was made yesterday at General Committee.

The Confederation Pkwy. bridge over Hwy. 403 was opened July 21.

Dale is the father of Ward 4 councillor Frank Dale, who serves the area where the $17-million gateway structure to City Centre is located. The councillor said the road played a special part in his family's life.

"In fact, our first family home in Cooksville was on what's known now as Confederation Pkwy. Also, the length of Confederation from The Queensway to Eglinton was all within the area that my father represented when he sat on Toronto Township Council," Dale said.

"Our family is very humbled and extremely proud that my father is being honoured," he added.

The motion was moved by Ward 11 councillor George Carlson.

"I didn't have the honour of knowing Frank's father, but I suspect the apple didn't fall far from the tree," said Carlson. "I can't think of a more appropriate thing to do to honour his legacy and (the Dale) family's commitments made over many decades to the City of Mississauga."

Ward 7 councillor Nando Iannicca said father and son share the same traits — an unassuming way and an unselfish sense of duty.

As a strong advocate of recreation, Thomas John Dale was instrumental in the development of Huron Park, Mississauga's first community centre. He was a founding member of both the Mississauga Real Estate Board (serving as its president) and the Cooksville Business Association.

Starting in 1971, the elder Dale was appointed by the Province as a returning officer for each provincial election for more than 20 years in the ridings of South Peel and Mississauga East.

Features of the four-lane Thomas J. Dale Bridge include multi-use walkways for pedestrians, bike lanes, landscaped walls and signage on Hwy. 403, innovative blue LED lighting, which can be seen from one kilometre away on the highway, and special aluminum handrails.

Meh ... I'd rather spend the money on something useful.

These are the type of things that make you feel cool when bringing a guest into town or something along those lines. Otherwise completely useless to everyone. Spend the money, on public spaces!

Meh ... I'd rather spend the money on something useful.

These are the type of things that make you feel cool when bringing a guest into town or something along those lines. Otherwise completely useless to everyone. Spend the money, on public spaces!

Most of the extra money put towards the bridge did go to public space... bike lanes, landscaping and an improved sidewalk for pedestrians. The lighting was a tiny portion of the cost.

Light up a park instead of a road ...

Anyway, you're right the lighting it self isn't a big deal.

It can bring a sense of grandeur to a city to have a few attractive bridges. One of the busiest highways could use a few in time. That's to say that it's not a priority, but something to remember if reconstruction or significant maintenance is necessary.

Back