News   Aug 02, 2024
 2.2K     0 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 4.1K     3 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 1.6K     2 

Mayor Olivia Chow's Toronto

You legally cannot confiscate a Canada Post van full of mail. It has to do with privacy laws.
Canada Post might be an interesting case because it's part of the federal government, but I'm pretty sure the provincial government could craft a law that provides for seizure of Canada Post vehicles for breaches of provincial laws.

There is a criminal charge of "theft of mail" (s. 365) but that requires someone to "steal" the mail, which a government seizure authorized by law is not. They'd surely have to give the mail back, though, since that's not the property of Canada Post.

You legally cannot confiscate a Canada Post van full of mail. It has to do with privacy laws.
Let's not seek out the exceptions as reasons to block an otherwise good idea. Leave the Canada Post vans, and for that matter WheelTrans, Waste Collection and other government vehicles, but grab the shredding trucks, etc.

Let's not seek out the exceptions as reasons to block an otherwise good idea. Leave the Canada Post vans, and for that matter WheelTrans, Waste Collection and other government vehicles, but grab the shredding trucks, etc.
Yes, one might as well say we should not try to deal with blocked bike lanes by seizing the offending vehicles because one day an ambulance may need to park there to deal with a cyclist having a heart attack or, god forbid, King Charles might make an official state visit and ordered his driver to stop so he could admire/critique our strange architecture.

Looks like another flash flood level storm is coming in today.

1722357202032.png

It's projected to enter the edge of the City at about 3:00.

Last edited:
Just on Friday, I watched a Purolator truck park in the eastbound Bloor bike lanes at the corner of Ted Rogers Way while I sat outside of Starbucks. The driver was inside the manulife offices for well over 20 minutes and he already had a ticket on his windshield (I think they keep them there to fool enforcement into thinking they were ticketed where they’re currently parked).

There were literally street parking spots available on Ted Rogers; almost the same distance from the offices. He was just a lazy ass who knew he could get away with it.

Not to mention, manulife has their own lot the dude could’ve parked in.

I see DHL delivery trucks illegally parked all the time with tickets. DHL is worth $51 billion. They don't care about a $60 dollar ticket. Maybe it's time to boot the trucks and have them towed away?

Also those white cargo Amazon drivers! These guys infuriate me. They don’t know the city so they’re constantly checking the GPS or map app on their on their phones while driving. They run red lights, turn without yielding to pedestrians. Traffic behind them grinds to a halt while they slow down to see if they’ve got the right address. I was stuck on a bus recently while this delivery truck crawled down the street at a snails pace causing a traffic jam in his wake.

Reactions: PL1
Most I see are South Asian. I assume TFWs or foreign students. Regardless, they’re all bastards blocking the sidewalks.
What on earth is their colour or ethnicity to do with a discussion on blocking bike lanes? I assumed (and assume) the 'white' comment above was to do with the colour of their vans not their skins.

What on earth is their colour or ethnicity to do with a discussion on blocking bike lanes? I assumed (and assume) the 'white' comment above was to do with the colour of their vans not their skins.

Yes i meant white cargo vans. Doesn't matter what race they are. But a lot of them are new to the country. These delivery drivers are appallingly treated. They are all over worked, underpaid and give no effs. Amazon is powered by slave labour.

Yes i meant white cargo vans. Doesn't matter what race they are. But a lot of them are new to the country. These delivery drivers are appallingly treated. They are all over worked, underpaid and give no effs. Amazon is powered by slave labour.
c.f. delivery app drivers/riders. The so-called gig economy has not been great for workers, IMHO. Also basically destroyed the taxi industry (though I think the idea of permanent plates that could be bought and sold disappearing is a good thing)

c.f. delivery app drivers/riders. The so-called gig economy has not been great for workers, IMHO. Also basically destroyed the taxi industry (though I think the idea of permanent plates that could be bought and sold disappearing is a good thing)
The taxi industry North America wide destroyed themselves. Uber filled a need for mobile hailing/payment, preset/advance ride costs, and clean cars that the industry ignored. There’s nothing Uber does that Beck Taxi could not have done beforehand.

There is a squadron of fighter jets circulating over downtown right now letting out red/white/green smoke. Anyone know what for? Is there some special even happening?
I know the CNE air show is coming up so they could be practising but they are here quite early if so.

EDIT: I found it

Reactions: PL1

Back