News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 409     0 

Mayor Olivia Chow's Toronto

"Quebec will get $100 million of that new money, he said Wednesday at a hastily organized news conference outside the House of Commons."

Since Ontario receives probably 3 times as many immigrants as Quebec, I guess that means $300M to Ontario, leaving -$40 for the rest of the country?

"Quebec will get $100 million of that new money, he said Wednesday at a hastily organized news conference outside the House of Commons."

Since Ontario receives probably 3 times as many immigrants as Quebec, I guess that means $300M to Ontario, leaving -$40 for the rest of the country?
"Immigrants" are different from "Refugees" (Or "Refugee Claimants") This money is for Refugee Claimants"

Chow will lower the tax increase to 9.5%, as per David Rider at The Star.

"Immigrants" are different from "Refugees" (Or "Refugee Claimants") This money is for Refugee Claimants"
You're right, I hadn't drawn that distinction. I wonder if there's a meaningful difference in terms of the proportion that goes to different provinces/cities.

Chow will lower the tax increase to 9.5%, as per David Rider at The Star.

From the same piece, we also see that the multi-residential class will see a rate hike of 3.5% instead of 4.5% to prevent triggering Above-Guideline Increases by landlords.

From the same piece, we also see that the multi-residential class will see a rate hike of 3.5% instead of 4.5% to prevent triggering Above-Guideline Increases by landlords.
It's interesting. Most people who are in rent-controlled units pay significantly below market rate (as they should), and might be the ones who could afford a little more. There's nothing that protects those in the post-2018 built units, who, logically, would be the ones already paying the most, and likely have even higher increases going forward.

It's interesting. Most people who are in rent-controlled units pay significantly below market rate (as they should), and might be the ones who could afford a little more. There's nothing that protects those in the post-2018 built units, who, logically, would be the ones already paying the most, and likely have even higher increases going forward.

Fair point; though, landlords have far less motivation to drive up a rent that is or is at the cusp of market pricing vs a long term tenant paying 50% of market.

Either way, the City, currently, has no mechanism for protecting post-2018 tenants, so they're making the only move open to them.

While :I'm waiting on the detailed budget revisions..............

Councillor Bradford, master of feigned outrage, LOL, appears to have gotten the mayor onside with, to be fair, a rather straight forward, sensible motion.

The motion deals w/the City putting up all these tobogganing prohibited signs this year, and deciding not to put up bails of hay around trees/poles that a tobogganer might hit, in parks where tobogganing isn't specifically sanctioned.

1706798914679.png

This is actually Bradford as his best; regrettably, something we haven't seen since he championed the Danforth Bike Lanes.

It's interesting. Most people who are in rent-controlled units pay significantly below market rate (as they should), and might be the ones who could afford a little more.
I doubt that. Most people I know, myself included, are stuck in the units they are in because they can't afford more. I doubt I'll ever be able to move unless I leave the city entirely.

... put up bails of hay around trees/poles that a tobogganer might hit, in parks where tobogganing isn't specifically sanctioned...
Is that a joke? I don't understand how anyone tobogganing could accidentally hit a tree. They would have to be aiming for it.

Last edited:
Is that joke? I don't understand how anyone tobogganing could accidentally hit a tree. They would have to be aiming for it.

Mmm if you hit a mound of snow you can catch air and go flying off in an unknown direction. You can also hit a patch of ice and slide off somewhere.

The point I am making is that things do not always go according to plan.

Mmm if you hit a mound of snow you can catch air and go flying off in an unknown direction. You can also hit a patch of ice and slide off somewhere.

The point I am making is that things do not always go according to plan.
But only if they were unbelievably dumb enough to be aiming themselves along a track with a tree close enough to hit in the first place.

But only if they were unbelievably dumb enough to be aiming themselves along a track with a tree close enough to hit in the first place.

Kids will be kids.

When I, like alot of us here were kids we all did stupid things and sometimes even ended up in the hospital. Some of us were smart and learned after the first time while others injured themselves so often Childrens Aid was called.

Kids play, kids get hurt.. things happen. It is better to minimize the injury than it is to say don't do something.

Back