News   Jul 09, 2024
 769     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 607     0 

Mayor Olivia Chow's Toronto

In 3 years there will also be a provincial election. Nothing worse than spending millions on an audit only to find nothing just before an election.

If this did happen, his opponents could turn it back on him and say HE is the one doing the wasteful spending.

I don't think his base cares about a null finding.

AoD

I noticed this sign at corner of Victoria and Shuter today:

IMG_1644[1].JPG

It actually dates from 2012 so might be best in the Mayor Rob Ford thread. Naturally the sign was never taken down and the website is dead BUT .... Thanks to the WaybackMachine...
See: https://web.archive.org/web/20130204211933/http://www.toronto.ca/sidewalkpilot/

Pilot project to evaluate sidewalk surfaces​

The City of Toronto is testing different sidewalk surfaces that will help blind and visually impaired pedestrians know when they are approaching an intersection.
The location for the pilot project is the intersection of Shuter Street and Victoria Street, near St. Michael's Hospital. Different materials are being used in different combinations at the four corners of this intersection. The pilot will help the city understand people's preferences, identify concerns with surfaces and compare installation and maintenance activities for each of the surfaces.
This evaluation will eventually be used to determine the policy, standards and specifications for use on city sidewalks. The construction of the pilot project was completed on November 8, 2012 and will be in place until July, 2013. All of the materials were installed to the manufacturer's specifications and a representative was on-site during the installation of the product.
The city chose this intersection for its evaluation of these treatments because it is a high traffic area and the intersection and sidewalks at this location are planned for reconstruction next year.

"A": Northwest Corner​

Access Tiles supplied by Engineered Plastics Inc., placed in two separate bands in a rectangular configuration:
swalk_01.jpg

swalk_02.jpg
Two different colours featuring two different construction applications were used at this corner:
swalk_03.jpg

Brick Red intelligent design cast in-place replaceable tiles supplied by Engineered Plastics Inc. and manufactured by Access Tile.
swalk_04.jpg
Onyx Black intelligent design surface applied tiles supplied by Engineered Plastics Inc. and manufactured by Access Tile.

"B": Southwest Corner​

Detectable 100 x 200 manganese ironspot warning pavers supplied by Thames Valley (Brick & Tile) and manufactured by Endicott, placed in a wrap around configuration:
swalk_05.jpg

swalk_06.jpg

"C": Southeast Corner​

Unilock 300 x 300 charcoal ADA pavers manufactured and supplied by Unilock Ltd., placed in a wrap around configuration:
swalk_07.jpg

swalk_08.jpg

"D": Northeast Corner​

Neenah Foundry cast iron detectable warning plates, curved and unpainted plates supplied by Crozier, placed in two separate bands:
swalk_09.jpg

swalk_10.jpg
Contact us and let us know what you think
We'd like to get your opinion. Please visit the sidewalks and provide your comments by e-mail at sidewalkpilot@toronto.ca or by leaving a message on the project comment line at 416-392-3760.

Let us know:​

• Which sidewalk surface do you think is most effective in serving as a warning?
    • Corner "A" is the northwest corner
    • Corner "B" is the southwest corner
    • Corner "C" is the southeast corner
    • Corner "D" is the northeast corner
  • What aspect of each product provides a safer walking environment for visually impaired pedestrians? (Was it the colour, the texture, the material, something else?)
  • Are there any drawbacks from these surfaces? (Issues with walkers, crutches, strollers, etc.?)
  • Any other comments?

I noticed this sign at corner of Victoria and Shuter today:

View attachment 495543

It actually dates from 2012 so might be best in the Mayor Rob Ford thread. Naturally the sign was never taken down and the website is dead BUT .... Thanks to the WaybackMachine...
See: https://web.archive.org/web/20130204211933/http://www.toronto.ca/sidewalkpilot/

Pilot project to evaluate sidewalk surfaces​

The City of Toronto is testing different sidewalk surfaces that will help blind and visually impaired pedestrians know when they are approaching an intersection.
The location for the pilot project is the intersection of Shuter Street and Victoria Street, near St. Michael's Hospital. Different materials are being used in different combinations at the four corners of this intersection. The pilot will help the city understand people's preferences, identify concerns with surfaces and compare installation and maintenance activities for each of the surfaces.
This evaluation will eventually be used to determine the policy, standards and specifications for use on city sidewalks. The construction of the pilot project was completed on November 8, 2012 and will be in place until July, 2013. All of the materials were installed to the manufacturer's specifications and a representative was on-site during the installation of the product.
The city chose this intersection for its evaluation of these treatments because it is a high traffic area and the intersection and sidewalks at this location are planned for reconstruction next year.

"A": Northwest Corner​

Access Tiles supplied by Engineered Plastics Inc., placed in two separate bands in a rectangular configuration:
swalk_01.jpg

swalk_02.jpg
Two different colours featuring two different construction applications were used at this corner:
swalk_03.jpg

Brick Red intelligent design cast in-place replaceable tiles supplied by Engineered Plastics Inc. and manufactured by Access Tile.
swalk_04.jpg
Onyx Black intelligent design surface applied tiles supplied by Engineered Plastics Inc. and manufactured by Access Tile.

"B": Southwest Corner​

Detectable 100 x 200 manganese ironspot warning pavers supplied by Thames Valley (Brick & Tile) and manufactured by Endicott, placed in a wrap around configuration:
swalk_05.jpg

swalk_06.jpg

"C": Southeast Corner​

Unilock 300 x 300 charcoal ADA pavers manufactured and supplied by Unilock Ltd., placed in a wrap around configuration:
swalk_07.jpg

swalk_08.jpg

"D": Northeast Corner​

Neenah Foundry cast iron detectable warning plates, curved and unpainted plates supplied by Crozier, placed in two separate bands:
swalk_09.jpg

swalk_10.jpg
Contact us and let us know what you think
We'd like to get your opinion. Please visit the sidewalks and provide your comments by e-mail at sidewalkpilot@toronto.ca or by leaving a message on the project comment line at 416-392-3760.

Let us know:​

• Which sidewalk surface do you think is most effective in serving as a warning?
    • Corner "A" is the northwest corner
    • Corner "B" is the southwest corner
    • Corner "C" is the southeast corner
    • Corner "D" is the northeast corner
  • What aspect of each product provides a safer walking environment for visually impaired pedestrians? (Was it the colour, the texture, the material, something else?)
  • Are there any drawbacks from these surfaces? (Issues with walkers, crutches, strollers, etc.?)
  • Any other comments?

Did you find the 'feedback'?

I'd be curious to know.

I can't speak to the efficacy of these for the visually impaired, but aesthetically, 'd' (Which they chose) had to be about the least appealing option. Not that any are particularly great

I really wonder if curb cuts and the lines they used to in-lay at them were materially insufficient.

and, yes, @Richard White these (d) are now standard in reconstructed sidewalks at crosswalks/traffic lights, select 'busy corners' and other like spots.

The 'yellow' strip version, identical to the one on the subway, more or less, is what's being used where cycle tracks share space w/streetcar and bus stops.

Did you find the 'feedback'?

I'd be curious to know.

I can't speak to the efficacy of these for the visually impaired, but aesthetically, 'd' (Which they chose) had to be about the least appealing option. Not that any are particularly great

I really wonder if curb cuts and the lines they used to in-lay at them were materially insufficient.

and, yes, @Richard White these (d) are now standard in reconstructed sidewalks at crosswalks/traffic lights, select 'busy corners' and other like spots.

The 'yellow' strip version, identical to the one on the subway, more or less, is what's being used where cycle tracks share space w/streetcar and bus stops.
No feedback found and all the tests have now been replaced with the new standard metal 'bumps'. "D"

Instead of curb cuts, Toronto should be going with raised sidewalks where the side street meet the main streets. That would force motorists (and cyclists) to slow down as they enter the residential streets, no need for stop signs (which are ignored by most anyways).

Away from the main streets, raised intersections should be at residential intersections. Again, it would force motorists to slow down entering and egressing the intersection. Also, no need for stop (or yield) signs, since they are ignored by most anyways.

(Would have included images, but I don't want to get banned if I do. So do a Google seach for raised intersections or sidewalks.)

Instead of curb cuts, Toronto should be going with raised sidewalks where the side street meet the main streets. That would force motorists (and cyclists) to slow down as they enter the residential streets, no need for stop signs (which are ignored by most anyways).

Away from the main streets, raised intersections should be at residential intersections. Again, it would force motorists to slow down entering and egressing the intersection. Also, no need for stop (or yield) signs, since they are ignored by most anyways.

(Would have included images, but I don't want to get banned if I do. So do a Google seach for raised intersections or sidewalks.)
There are raised crosswalks on several streets (e.g. The Esplanade west of Lower Jarvis) and I noticed the new Temperance Street (still being finished) has a raised crossing in mid-block. Though I like them from a pedestrain pov (no puddles in winter!) I do not understand why you think they force motorists to slow enough for it to really help, I see people driving fast and flying over the road bumps we have on many local streets and Lanes and they are similar. `

There are raised crosswalks on several streets (e.g. The Esplanade west of Lower Jarvis) and I noticed the new Temperance Street (still being finished) has a raised crossing in mid-block. Though I like them from a pedestrain pov (no puddles in winter!) I do not understand why you think they force motorists to slow enough for it to really help, I see people driving fast and flying over the road bumps we have on many local streets and Lanes and they are similar. `
Having speed humps mid-block are counter productive because most of the time pedestrians only cross mid-block to get to a parked car. They are needed if there was a pathway or park mid-block, otherwise most pedestrians would be at the intersections.

Having speed humps mid-block are counter productive because most of the time pedestrians only cross mid-block to get to a parked car. They are needed if there was a pathway or park mid-block, otherwise most pedestrians would be at the intersections.
I disagree with you. We have several streets in St Lawrence with speed bumps (e.g. George St S). The bumps DO slow cars down (a bit) and many people cross the street in mid-block. The Temperance St new raised crosswalk in mid-block links the new Bay-Adelaide North Tower to the open space south of it. Also in St Lawrence, many pedestrians cross Front between the north and south Market buildings though there is no official crossing. The neighbourhood is hoping to get a n official ( raised) crossing between the 2 buildings but ...

How to make deliveries to downtown stores or residents without blocking the streets? How do other other cities do it, where they banned motor vehicles completely?

That would be great here if bike delivery a-holes (let alone seated scooter delivery a-holes) didn’t already feel entitled to sidewalks.

I cannot count the number of delivery scooters and bikes that brush past me when I’m walking on Bloor — in an area with segregated bike lanes no less.

I’m pro bike, and I get riding on the sidewalk because sharrows, etc. don’t feel safe. But there’s a new class of cyclist who will use whatever route necessary, safety and laws be damned. And they always have a cube with reflective strips on their back.

That is, when they aren’t all parked in front of whatever’s popular for delivery at a given time, waiting for a ping on their app of choice.

Though this sign (on Lower Jarvis just south of the rail berm is warning about a Metrolinx project so it is probably a Metrolinx sign, it is all too typical to warn pedestrians of vehicles crossing their (our!) sidewalk while not reminding vehicles that pedestrians have priority!

IMG_1647[1].JPG

Though this sign (on Lower Jarvis just south of the rail berm is warning about a Metrolinx project so it is probably a Metrolinx sign, it is all too typical to warn pedestrians of vehicles crossing their (our!) sidewalk while not reminding vehicles that pedestrians have priority!

View attachment 495805
Reminds me of the quarries just in the south end of Caledon on Highway 10, with signs warning drivers that dump trucks might just suddenly decide to cross the highway in front of them.

Reactions: DSC

Back