News   Jul 11, 2024
 165     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 532     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 2.1K     1 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Who will be the "special guest" to introduce John Tory at his inauguration ceremony. Hopefully someone better than Don Cherry at Rob Ford's inauguration.

How about former hockey player, Hazel McCallian? I understand she went into politics in her later life.

Well, if it were all about "sweatshirt dad types" bonding with one another, if JT sought a Don Cherry equivalent, there's always Bill Cosby

Well, if it were all about "sweatshirt dad types" bonding with one another, if JT sought a Don Cherry equivalent, there's always Bill Cosby

I think Cosby would be a bit of a controversial choice at the moment. Maybe Ghomeshi is available, though.

My concern with Tory going forward is how he'll deal with issues like the Finch/Sheppard LRTs. As in, will he listen to idiots like Mammo and Crisanti?

http://torontoist.com/2014/11/the-uncertain-future-of-the-finch-lrt/

I think Tory wants to be liked and to seek "agreement" with everyone. I'm not sure whether he has the right instincts to tell the Finch and Sheppard subway dreamers that they're delusional obstructionists who'd sooner see Scarberians and Finch-ians on buses for the rest of their working lives than "sacrifice" some car lanes for ROWs.

That works both ways unfortunately.

Be prepared for the most boring mayor in municipal history. Tory is about as fun & creative as a root canal. Miller may have been a Harvard lawyer, but even he did that leather daddy cover of Fab.

On the lack of creative talent angle, does tory's election as mayor mean the province can pull him out off the Ontario Place renewal project, so it may have a chance at getting done? Because with Tory at the helm, nothing creative had a chance in hell of coming to life.

Ontario Place was a complete blunder by Tory and his ideas were outright rejected by the government, thankfully. Has Tory ever been successful at anything? All I see is a history of bad judgement and steady as she goes. I'm sure Tory will not take any chances, ruffle any feathers or try any new ideas. His term in office will be uneventful and without any real accomplishments. He's more or less just a place holder until a real leader comes along.

Who will be the "special guest" to introduce John Tory at his inauguration ceremony. Hopefully someone better than Don Cherry at Rob Ford's inauguration.

How about former hockey player, Hazel McCallian? I understand she went into politics in her later life.

David Suzuki? Margaret Attwood? Polkaroo? It should be someone local.

Ontario Place was a complete blunder by Tory and his ideas were outright rejected by the government, .

Where do you get your info? I swear, some of the stuff I read on these forums you really need to decipher the facts from peoples belief who purport those beliefs to be facts

Last I heard they took 19 recommendations from the panel.

The panel submitted 18 recommendations...doesn't mean the province is going to implement any of them. Far as I can tell, the only thing happening is some landscaping of a former parking lot....nothing to do with the former public space.

The panel had vague ideas about what to actually do. It used a lot of corporate references, and seemed obsessed with Millennium Park in Chicago. It even recommended using part of the site for housing (outright turned down by the Province). It was very ..."get the private sector to pay for it", corporate sponsorship, and charge fees for stuff. Exactly what you'd expect a empty-headed corporate shill like Tory to come up with. Add a monorail and a giant ferris wheel, and this plan could have been penned by Doug Ford.

It recommends keeping the Cinisphere & Pods, but has no clue what to do with them (we needed to pay a panel to take a few years to come up with that nugget? )

Basically, my guess is we will eventually end up with a glorified Corktown Common type park. Perfectly presentable, but hardly the very impressive, cutting edge, tour de force that Ontario Place was when it opened.

That would require.... the political will, tax dollars....and a cutting edge invention....not things John Tory is good at.

I do not understand how the City of Toronto can issue occupancy permits for units in L Tower which do not even have shower heads and running hot water
The City of Toronto and the department which issues occupancy permits must take care to ensure that the basic amenities for human existence in this frigid weather is available before issuance of any occupancy permit.
The builders PDI inspector says that missing shower heads and no running hot water are not warranty issues so no mention of it is required to be made on the PDI inspection Tarion warranty form I hope someone in CITY OF TORONTO & TARION wakes up and takes up this issue of grant of occupancy permits without proper basic facilities of running hot water at least in the right earnest or else a petition against Tarion and the City of Toronto would have to be filed in the Courts
Some units which do not even have the outer glass covering and are in fact boarded up with plywood have also been issued with occupancy permits.
It is the responsibility of the city to take care of its citizen and not toe the line of a developer I hope the Mayor Elect John Tory looks into this issue with some degree of responsibility

I think Cosby would be a bit of a controversial choice at the moment. Maybe Ghomeshi is available, though.

My concern with Tory going forward is how he'll deal with issues like the Finch/Sheppard LRTs. As in, will he listen to idiots like Mammo and Crisanti?

http://torontoist.com/2014/11/the-uncertain-future-of-the-finch-lrt/

I think Tory wants to be liked and to seek "agreement" with everyone. I'm not sure whether he has the right instincts to tell the Finch and Sheppard subway dreamers that they're delusional obstructionists who'd sooner see Scarberians and Finch-ians on buses for the rest of their working lives than "sacrifice" some car lanes for ROWs.

The LRT proposals, particularly Sheppard seem more and more absurd to me. I was stuck on a 190 bus for *1 hour* due to severe traffic congestion going west from Victoria Park to Don Mills in afternoon rush hour on Friday. Maybe there was an accident on the 401 or something but this seems to happen rather regularly. The traffic along Sheppard is always bad in rush hour and there are many condo developments and the Consumers Rd office park and so on and I can't imagine what traffic on the stretch west from Victoria Park to 404 would look like if you remove one lane each way plus forcing everyone to transfer at Don Mills is extremely inconvenient and just encourages people to drive. My impression is that the Sheppard subway is underused because most people who live and work near there drive not due to lack of demand. Sheppard and Don Mills is as densely populated as Yonge and Eglinton. Tory needs to kill off LRT lines, move the money to GO train electrification (should have been priority #1) and push the province and feds for more subway lines starting with the downtown relief line. Toronto has some of the worst traffic congestion in the world nowadays and we should be building large numbers of subway lines like big cities in China.

If we reduced a lane on Sheppard, drivers would stay on the 401 instead of electing to use Sheppard as their highway replacement. I think the inhabitants of Sheppard would only be grateful for that.

Something needs to be done around Yonge-Sheppard on the road configuration there, so all those condo-dwellers are not stuck using the same side-streets to leave the area.

The LRT proposals, particularly Sheppard seem more and more absurd to me. I was stuck on a 190 bus for *1 hour* due to severe traffic congestion going west from Victoria Park to Don Mills in afternoon rush hour on Friday. Maybe there was an accident on the 401 or something but this seems to happen rather regularly. The traffic along Sheppard is always bad in rush hour and there are many condo developments and the Consumers Rd office park and so on and I can't imagine what traffic on the stretch west from Victoria Park to 404 would look like if you remove one lane each way plus forcing everyone to transfer at Don Mills is extremely inconvenient and just encourages people to drive. My impression is that the Sheppard subway is underused because most people who live and work near there drive not due to lack of demand. Sheppard and Don Mills is as densely populated as Yonge and Eglinton. Tory needs to kill off LRT lines, move the money to GO train electrification (should have been priority #1) and push the province and feds for more subway lines starting with the downtown relief line. Toronto has some of the worst traffic congestion in the world nowadays and we should be building large numbers of subway lines like big cities in China.

"Big cities" in China are on the order of 8-10 million people, and they weren't built with suburbs oriented toward single-family detached housing. It is not a relevant comparison.

Anyway, haven't you been arguing for an expensive Sheppard subway extension for ages now? It's readily apparent that providing for a transit ROW - underground/grade-separated or not - will allow transit vehicles to bypass this congestion, and that is what is needed now. Traffic is just as bad west of Don Mills, probably because buses are still necessary in light of the absurdly wide stop-spacing on the Sheppard line. It is simply not feasible to build a subway further east on Sheppard - it would also be considerably more disruptive for present drivers on Sheppard to excavate subway stations and tunnelling staging areas than it would be to install a ROW.

What's all the worse about this attitude is that the sky has not fallen on Hwy 7 where - wait for it - Viva buses now operate down the centre of the street. LRT just expands upon BRT to bring even higher capacity and better headways.

Spending billions on suburban subways is expensive and irresponsible. We do not have unlimited resources, funds, and time to build transit and holding out for the most expensive, most impractical option is fucking stupid and indefensible.

To take your reasoning, York Region should have held out for a Hwy 7 subway rather than building a busway that "removed" some lanes for traffic. So instead of having infrastructure in place now (as the Sheppard LRT would have been), they'd still be waiting for some politician to promise the world for nothing.

And, for the record, making a simple transfer is not "extremely inconvenient" (unless you're one of those people who think it's more convenient to go from, say, Eglinton to Spadina station by going all the way around the loop). People transfer to buses now - they can certainly manage to transfer to a faster LRT with much better headways.

"Big cities" in China are on the order of 8-10 million people, and they weren't built with suburbs oriented toward single-family detached housing. It is not a relevant comparison.

Anyway, haven't you been arguing for an expensive Sheppard subway extension for ages now? It's readily apparent that providing for a transit ROW - underground/grade-separated or not - will allow transit vehicles to bypass this congestion, and that is what is needed now. Traffic is just as bad west of Don Mills, probably because buses are still necessary in light of the absurdly wide stop-spacing on the Sheppard line. It is simply not feasible to build a subway further east on Sheppard - it would also be considerably more disruptive for present drivers on Sheppard to excavate subway stations and tunnelling staging areas than it would be to install a ROW.

What's all the worse about this attitude is that the sky has not fallen on Hwy 7 where - wait for it - Viva buses now operate down the centre of the street. LRT just expands upon BRT to bring even higher capacity
and better headways.

Spending billions on suburban subways is expensive and irresponsible. We do not have unlimited resources, funds, and time to build transit and holding out for the most expensive, most impractical option is fucking stupid and indefensible.

To take your reasoning, York Region should have held out for a Hwy 7 subway rather than building a
busway that "removed" some lanes for traffic. So instead of having infrastructure in place now (as the Sheppard LRT would have been), they'd still be waiting for some politician to promise the world for nothing.

And, for the record, making a simple transfer is not "extremely inconvenient" (unless you're one of those people who think it's more convenient to go from, say, Eglinton to Spadina station by going all the way around the loop). People transfer to buses now - they can certainly manage to transfer to a faster LRT with much better headways.

Holy Hali! The passion is palpable while I now live in Muskoka a great part of why I left T.O. had to do with quality of life issues and a huge part of that was traffic. I could not afford real estate downtown and I was not willing to throw away 20% of my waking hours in traffic. I took a huge pay cut to relocate and I have never regretted it.

I was sent on a training course last week at bayview and 7. I witnesses the centre lane transit and I have mixed feelings about it. It was a bad weather week so I am aware it was not an ideal trial run but the incredibly long times for a left turn were brutal. The combination of through traffic buses and side road pick ups left both sides of the road visibly blocked for drivers. I felt like I was in a video game with signage the only clue how to proceed. I got caught in traffic calming measures that took me several km out of my way. There was nothing intuitive about the whole experience. Further, the shelters were often on the opposite side of prevailing winds. As unpleasant as the driving was the transit looked to offer small comfort to those of us who are willing to get out of our cars and ride.

Where do you get your info? I swear, some of the stuff I read on these forums you really need to decipher the facts from peoples belief who purport those beliefs to be facts

THere's a pretty strong anti Tory sentiment on UT.

Back