News   May 17, 2024
 2.2K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 9.9K     10 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Just wondering how long the delivery trucks that were towed were actually parked there. It had to have been more than a few minutes unless the tow trucks were literally around the corner. Even then, it takes a minute or two to hook up the truck for towing and in both pictures no sign of the driver. Looks like it may have been a long delivery.

Canada Post has said that they will be changing their delivery times.

On Jan 12, Canada Post will implement later pick-up times for street letter boxes on major arteries in the designated area.

“We also understand that our own delivery vehicles contribute to traffic congestion,” Canada Post said in a media release.

“To help reduce traffic congestion and gridlock in the downtown core, we recognize that changes to operating procedures must be made by everyone who serves the downtown core.”

http://globalnews.ca/news/1754977/canada-post-changes-delivery-operations-in-downtown-toronto/

Ah, that explains why the Canada Post truck was doing a pickup on King @ Jarvis tonight at 7.

Right... so lets inconvenience the entire city because a courier cannot walk a little bit more during the day. Considering that most buildings in the core get more than 30 parcels/packages per day, I doubt it would be an issue for any couriers in the downtown core where this initiative is taking place.
Well thirty deliveries also means 30 pick ups. Most of what is being shuttled around are time sensitive, "must be original copies" type of documents. If it could be faxed or emailed it would have been. Hence most packages require signatures. If you think of 60 trips where one parks, runs up to whatever floor to grab or give a parcel and back to the car in an 8 hr day,you start to see why it will cost more and take longer. Im not advocating leaving it as it is, I'm simply pointing out that there will be costs. I also think the junctionist is correct about obsolete loading docks etc. Some of the fault (and hence the solution) falls to those buildings that have poor systems for accepting deliveries. Its a tired horse I've been flogging but new builds should have drive through drop zones with notarized concierges so these transactions are seamless. Its grudge money,but new thinking is required.

Not sure if it's directly because of the traffic crackdown, but the perennial line-up of delivery trucks sitting on Adelaide waiting to get into the First Canadian Place loading dock also seems to have gone away this week.There was usually three-four trucks sitting there during the AM rush, waiting their turn to get onto the lift down into the loading dock. As one would enter, another would often join the queue. Perhaps a change in timing has been implemented here too.

I also think the junctionist is correct about obsolete loading docks etc. Some of the fault (and hence the solution) falls to those buildings that have poor systems for accepting deliveries. Its a tired horse I've been flogging but new builds should have drive through drop zones with notarized concierges so these transactions are seamless. Its grudge money,but new thinking is required.

I agree as well. If the crackdown on delivery trucks has done anything, it's forced the delivery companies and facility owners to think harder about where and how deliveries are made. Perhaps all buildings in the downtown core with institutional or commercial use should be designed with a delivery lane, and we could have endeavoured on some big planning study to make the necessary bylaw changes, and a program to make changes to legacy buildings without. But is that the best way?

I think Tory is in the mindset that the free market will help correct this issue, and to an extent I agree. If you own an office building, and you don't have a delivery lane, it's now more difficult to get stuff delivered if a truck is at risk of being towed. This could increase the cost of deliveries, or delivery companies could simply refuse to serve you. That's going to force you as a building owner to a) make a delivery lane, or b) look at attracting tenants that don't really require delivery trucks. On the other hand, the tenants themselves are also going to face more difficulty, and it will make them think harder about, "Does this really need to be physically delivered?" It may just be a simple change in business operation to solve that.

Considering all that facets, do we want to spend money on a big complicated planning exercise if the free market may solve the problem itself depending on what certain people need? I don't think we do in this case.

Well thirty deliveries also means 30 pick ups. Most of what is being shuttled around are time sensitive, "must be original copies" type of documents. If it could be faxed or emailed it would have been. Hence most packages require signatures. If you think of 60 trips where one parks, runs up to whatever floor to grab or give a parcel and back to the car in an 8 hr day,you start to see why it will cost more and take longer. Im not advocating leaving it as it is, I'm simply pointing out that there will be costs. I also think the junctionist is correct about obsolete loading docks etc. Some of the fault (and hence the solution) falls to those buildings that have poor systems for accepting deliveries. Its a tired horse I've been flogging but new builds should have drive through drop zones with notarized concierges so these transactions are seamless. Its grudge money,but new thinking is required.

The truck using couriers, FedEx/UPS/Purolator/DHL, do not do time sensitive deliveries. They also do not require a signature of a specific person if an office or company name is listed. Even if it is requested for such a person is required to sign, they will let a receptionist or any random person who opens the door sign every single time from every courier.

Time sensitive downtown Toronto is done by specialty couriers and they don't use trucks. They send people to collect in person, either by walking or biking, and have a central office to sort and send things out again. Example would be this company http://www.themessengers.ca/showPage.asp?id=7

Regular
Our average regular service delivery is between 2-3 hours in the downtown core area & between 3-5 hours in the suburbs.

Super Rush
Our average super rush delivery is between 60-90 minutes in the downtown core area & between 120-180 minutes in the suburbs.

VIP
Our average VIP delivery is under 30 minutes in the downtown core area & between 60-90 minutes in the suburbs.

Lightning Service NEW!!!
The fastest service of any courier service in Downtown Toronto with an average of less than 11 minutes from the phone call order to delivery. We guarantee 15 minute service but we are actually averaging 10.5 minutes. Wow

I agree as well. If the crackdown on delivery trucks has done anything, it's forced the delivery companies and facility owners to think harder about where and how deliveries are made. Perhaps all buildings in the downtown core with institutional or commercial use should be designed with a delivery lane, and we could have endeavoured on some big planning study to make the necessary bylaw changes, and a program to make changes to legacy buildings without. But is that the best way?

I think Tory is in the mindset that the free market will help correct this issue, and to an extent I agree. If you own an office building, and you don't have a delivery lane, it's now more difficult to get stuff delivered if a truck is at risk of being towed. This could increase the cost of deliveries, or delivery companies could simply refuse to serve you. That's going to force you as a building owner to a) make a delivery lane, or b) look at attracting tenants that don't really require delivery trucks. On the other hand, the tenants themselves are also going to face more difficulty, and it will make them think harder about, "Does this really need to be physically delivered?" It may just be a simple change in business operation to solve that.

Considering all that facets, do we want to spend money on a big complicated planning exercise if the free market may solve the problem itself depending on what certain people need? I don't think we do in this case.

We take all deliveries at our receiving dock at work. If you cannot back up into the dock, the driver has to walk the package around the vehicle to the dock. We take deliveries from DHL, Purolator, FedEx, UPS, Canada Post, a company called Ten4, and our own internal mail van. If all of these companies are capable of making a dock work for them, I do not see how other companies cannot make it work for them. It's definitely in the hands of the delivery companies to solve, as so many companies are doing just fine with the new rules.

If a delivery company isn't capable of adjusting, then perhaps it should no longer be used by buildings that cannot accommodate them?

I work in construction and have to adapt to parking regulations all the time. Sometimes I have to park around the block (and believe me, our customers' costs did not go up because I have to drop my material and tools off at the site and then park elsewhere and walk back). Sometimes we need temporary permits. Sometimes we have to pay to park. We adapt. If a courier company can't adapt to existing regulations (not new ones, mind!) then they shouldn't be in business. They're obviously too rigid. Get smaller delivery vehicles for central areas, for example. No, f*ck it, that makes too much sense.

Why are the CBC giving that windbag the time of day? I, personally, wasn't even sure he was still alive.

He did admit to feeling like crap.

Well, coming from the most ridiculous ex-mayor ever.

AoD

Tory needs to get drunk at a Raptors game.

There is a noticeable lack of Ford related news on CP2Ford. They are actually focusing on Tory...

I'd get drunk with Tory. I'd probably have an interesting conversation. Ford? There ain't enough Pimm's in the world.

"'We’ve been doing that for years,' Ford said of the Toronto Police ticketing and towing blitz launched this week."

Sour grapes. Can't take someone else doing a job you failed at for four years? And then there's the traffic thing.

Rob Ford not impressed with Tory decisions
http://www.torontosun.com/2015/01/08/rob-ford-not-impressed-with-tory-decisions

LOL Did he not get photographed illegally parking in front of First Canadian Place one day while he went to the LCBO just under the lobby?

Back