News   Jul 30, 2024
 246     1 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 950     1 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 554     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

A motion requesting a report on a legal drinking in parks pilot, which would run Aug 5/23 - Oct 9/23 to the July meeting of Eco. Dev. Ctte has passed 19-5.

This would seem to suggest the actual pilot will pass when the time comes; but what an odd thing to start a pilot in the second half of summer.
Meanwhile in reality, people have already been doing this for years.

Would someone mind terribly logging on to FB and calling BS on this:

LOL

The idea that 'designating land as protected' is an accomplishment, when it is, in fact, already protected; and that is simply being 'counted' by another level of government profoundly offends me for its non-accomplishment.

The link above only takes you to the group, not the post, so I'll offer a screenshot of the post:

1684371403183.png

I just got an auto-dial from Giorgio Mammolitti's campaign.

I let it go on long enough to hear the opening pitch.........

I kid you not....

"I am committed to stopping 'readings' by drag queens at Libraries without parental consent"

This is an issue? Seriously? (shakes head) .......

I kid you not....

"I am committed to stopping 'readings' by drag queens at Libraries without parental consent"

Mammolitti's gonna Mammolitti.

I kid you not....

Presumably parents are the ones taking their children to story time so ... Mission Accomplished?

Official rules for Victoria Day at Woodbine beach:

- no personal fireworks allowed
- no bonfires allowed
- no alcohol allowed
- no music allowed

Toronto, the city that hates fun 😂

Official rules for Victoria Day at Woodbine beach:

- no personal fireworks allowed

Regrettably, a small number of people thought it was ok to set off fireworks facing other beach and park goers, rather than aimed out over the water, and some people even used them as purposeful weapons. While such conduct shouldn't result in punishing people who behave themselves, the situation each of the last two years was severely challenging for police and parks staff, I understand the choice.

- no bonfires allowed

You have never been allowed to set up random fires on the Beach.

- no alcohol allowed

This has also never been allowed, sure lots of people have been drinking, but its never been permitted.

- no music allowed

While this seems a bit much, its also about irresponsible people who put their stuff on blast and annoy everyone around them, and even those living 3 blocks away.

Toronto, the city that hates fun 😂

Toronto can be overly restrictive at times; but in this particular case, I think it reads the same way as provincial parks banning alcohol at most campgrounds on Victoria Day weekend (but not the rest of the year); there's just been too much bad behavior and there are finite resources to control that. Sigh.

Last edited:
They've had a few issues at the Beach in the last few years, so not surprised they just ban everything. It would be great if they could tailor it, but that hasn't really worked for the last few years. I think not only Victoria Day, but also Canada Day and Labour Day.

Reactions: DSC
Regrettably, a small number of people thought it was ok to set off fireworks facing other beach and park goers, rather than aimed out over the water, and some people even used them as purposeful weapons. While such conduct shouldn't result in punishing people who behave themselves, the situation each of the last two years was severely challenging for police and parks staff, I understand the choice.

You have never been allowed to set up random fires on the Beach.

This has also never been allowed, sure lots of people have been drinking, but its never been permitted.

While this seems a bit much, its also about irresponsible people who put their stuff on blast and annoy everyone around them, and even those living 3 blocks away.

Toronto can be overly restrictive at times; but in this particular case, I think it reads the same way as provincial parks banning alcohol at most campgrounds on Victoria Day weekend (but not the rest of the year); there's just been too much bad behavior and there are finite resources to control that. Sigh.

I have a friend who works for a councillor's office, and he says that his inbox following any "firework holiday" is a living hell.

It also explains why a lot of councillors are often parochial when it comes to booze in parks. I know from personal experience that Ashbridge's Bay and Riverdale Park are riddled with empty beer cans and takeout containers, while many nearby residents complain of public urination and fights (the smart ones leave the city).

Toronto can be overly restrictive at times
Oh yeah!! It was quite a culture shock when I moved from Amsterdam to Toronto :oops:

There's gotta be a middle ground though, where people can still let their hair loose a bit.
Alcohol should be allowed in parks IMO.
Of course you're gonna get some drunk idiots, but you'll get that in any nightclub as well.

And why no bonfires??
In California you have bonfires at every beach.
Just set some rules: https://www.google.ca/search?q=cali...DiAGoF5IBCDIuMTkuNC0xmAEAoAEB&sclient=gws-wiz
I dont see how why thats so hard

Parking fines in Toronto are too low and they go "easy" with offenders. In Amsterdam, for example, you get a parking fine on an expired meter or parking illegally you have 24 hours to pay the fine, or it increases or worse.

From link.
If you have paid an insufficient amount for parking (or haven't paid at all), Parking Services Amsterdam will leave a sticker on your vehicle informing you of the fine. Incorrectly parked cars that form an obstacle to other traffic will be towed by the City Street Patrol.

A wheel clamp will be put on your car if you have too many unpaid parking tickets (2-5 tickets depending on your country's agreement with the Netherlands). The clamp will only be removed when all outstanding fines have been paid in full, plus the fee for the wheel clamp (€ 192). The fines must be paid within 24 hours, or the vehicle will be towed away.

The hourly rate can be added to the fine more than once, depending on how long a car is parked in an area without paying.

Some may be deeply offended by the two participants, but here is a Jordan Peterson interview with Furey.

The bike lane opposition is a bit more nuanced, but I'm generally in disagreement. I think we would have more room for broad consensus government if we used more high rung thinking. I think part of the problem is ignorance about the set of possible solutions, and people embracing confirmation bias rather than resisting it.

I do think our parking fines are absurdly low, and we should at the very least have an income-based sliding scale. I also think we should have occupation-related additions to that. Delivery people should be fined even higher, unless otherwise having a special permit.

But this photo was taken in Los Angeles County. The palm trees a dead giveaway that it’s nowhere in Canada, let alone on Ontario.
On my street, I've seen cars overhanging the sidewalk many times. Sometimes after a winter snowfall, the sidewalk snowplows would have to detour out onto the road to pass them. We can also get a parking fine for parking on the grassy verge or boulevard, or even the grass next to the driveway.

(Could have gone with a drawing to make the same point of cars taking over the sidewalks from pedestrians
.)

Back