News   Aug 14, 2024
 382     0 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 696     1 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 2.5K     3 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

I think Canada is notably less individualistic than the US, which was demonstrated by how we responded to the pandemic.

Since Tokyo was mentioned, I thought I'd share this video I recently watched showing what a Japanese neighbourhood is like, made by a Canadian who immigrated to Japan. He talks about why Japanese neighbourhoods tends to be safer, largely due to urban form.

The main problem with Toronto, and most North American cities, are the zoning by-laws. Toronto powers-that-be looks down on the mixing of residential, office, and commercial establishments, even though most people would prefer establishments closer together within walking distance.

The main problem with Toronto, and most North American cities, are the zoning by-laws. Toronto powers-that-be looks down on the mixing of residential, office, and commercial establishments, even though most people would prefer establishments closer together within walking distance.
Further:

EDIT: "Not Just Bikes" is the channel of a London, ON YouTuber who's travelled extensively and now lives in the Netherlands. The channel often compares North American urban planning to the rest of the world. A good channel to watch if you want to see a better way of doing things.

Last edited:
Request for Proposal
ecblank.gif
Solicitation
number:
Doc 3127184935
Commodity:Professional Services, Consulting Services
Description:RFP - Dundas Renaming Project
This RFP is an invitation by the City of Toronto (the “City”) to prospective suppliers to submit Bids for Public Engagement Services for City of Toronto Recognition Review and Renaming of Dundas Street

LINK TO PUBLIC POSTING ARIBA DISCOVERY:

Public Posting: http://discovery.ariba.com/rfx/11064776
Issue date:August 26, 2021
ecblank.gif
Closing date:September 20, 2021
at 12:00 Noon
Notes:Attachment
pdf.gif
NOIP Doc 3127184935.pdf (236 Kbytes) - Posted on 08/26/2021 10:50:36 AM
Buyer:Forbes, Lynda
ecblank.gif
Phone number:416-338-5577
Email:lynda.forbes@toronto.ca
ecblank.gif
Client Division:Social Development, Finance & Administration
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif

Scope of work:
The purpose of this Request for Proposals (RFP) is to select a qualified consultant or consultant team (the Supplier) to deliver public consultation and engagement services for the Recognition Review Project being carried out by an interdivisional team of City of Toronto staff. The Supplier will support public engagement and feedback on three key elements of the Recognition Review Project (the Project):

Request for Proposal
ecblank.gif
Solicitation
number:
Doc 3127184935
Commodity:Professional Services, Consulting Services
Description:RFP - Dundas Renaming Project
This RFP is an invitation by the City of Toronto (the “City”) to prospective suppliers to submit Bids for Public Engagement Services for City of Toronto Recognition Review and Renaming of Dundas Street

LINK TO PUBLIC POSTING ARIBA DISCOVERY:

Public Posting: http://discovery.ariba.com/rfx/11064776
Issue date:August 26, 2021
ecblank.gif
Closing date:September 20, 2021
at 12:00 Noon
Notes:Attachment
pdf.gif
NOIP Doc 3127184935.pdf (236 Kbytes) - Posted on 08/26/2021 10:50:36 AM
Buyer:Forbes, Lynda
ecblank.gif
Phone number:416-338-5577
Email:lynda.forbes@toronto.ca
ecblank.gif
Client Division:Social Development, Finance & Administration
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif

Scope of work:
The purpose of this Request for Proposals (RFP) is to select a qualified consultant or consultant team (the Supplier) to deliver public consultation and engagement services for the Recognition Review Project being carried out by an interdivisional team of City of Toronto staff. The Supplier will support public engagement and feedback on three key elements of the Recognition Review Project (the Project):
What a waste of money when the city has bigger issues to deal with.

Waste money re-naming a street while the City is going through basically it worst homelessness crisis ever.
I agree wasting money during a homeless crisis is a problem. Over-policing is a major waste of money; as is maintaining the Gardiner. So much more a waste than $1.50 total per Torontonian.

I agree wasting money during a homeless crisis is a problem. Over-policing is a major waste of money; as is maintaining the Gardiner. So much more a waste than $1.50 total per Torontonian.

Toronto actually has far fewer police per capita than Montreal, and a number than has steadily decreased over time.

The number of uniforms is well below historic highs, while the population has increased substantially.

While I happen to think officer compensation is excessive; and that we ought to legalize most forms of drug possession and some of the residual drug trade where a drug can be produced in a comparatively safe manner. I don't think its reasonable to suggest that the total police budget is grossly excessive. I would certainly support freezing officer pay for 3 years; though I expect that would meet with intense opposition. Still, a worthwhile idea.

Have a look at this chart from last year showing the percentage of Canadian City budgets expended on policing:

1630334590347.png

You'll notice Toronto's is among the smallest.
Vancouver spends just over $500 per person on policing
Toronto spends $400
Needless to say, U.S. cities almost all expend far more on policing than does Toronto.
But so does Sydney, Australia at $430 per capita

On the subject of the Gardiner, most here agree that money shouldn't be expended on the hybrid option, and the that boulevard option which is cheaper would be preferable.
So no one here is saying don't rename Dundas but waste money on the Gardiner.
Your argument is therefore invalid.

The correct position is not to waste money on the Gardiner, OR on renaming Dundas Street.
Its also to take those savings and actually reduce inequity, and poverty.
Less symbolism, more substance.

View attachment 344938

You'll notice Toronto's is among the smallest.
Vancouver spends just over $500 per person on policing
Toronto spends $400
Needless to say, U.S. cities almost all expend far more on policing than does Toronto.
But so does Sydney, Australia at $430 per capita
Note: It's a bit misleading. Toronto has a 10-year $2.2B Gardiner repair plan. That's not including cost overruns.

And while we may be lowest in that group, it doesn't mean the other cities aren't spending way too much in policing either. Policing seems to be the only budget conservatives *won't* make decisions about based on "results and efficiency". If they did, the police would be begging for handouts, like we force our healthcare and education systems to do.

In addition to that, police are often used in response to issues with homelessness, even aside from encampment raids.

So, rightfully, defunding police would benefit homeless help by both freeing up money, and potentially removing one of the largest antagonists to the homeless community. Treating the homeless like criminals does not, and has never worked, and yet it's still one of the go-to "solutions" used by government agencies.

Last edited:

Back