News   Apr 24, 2024
 205     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 2.3K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 614     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

I don't know.....not wasting loads of money on stupid shit like rebuilding the Gardiner? Just a guess.

I think they may have their priorities straight, unlike us here.
Australia and Switzerland are both considerably higher income than Canada, for one thing. I don’t know about CHF, but Australia certainly takes a far different approach to resource development, immigration and government debt than Canada does. I suspect that these factors account for some of the prosperity gap.

Australia and Switzerland are both considerably higher income than Canada, for one thing. I don’t know about CHF, but Australia certainly takes a far different approach to resource development, immigration and government debt than Canada does. I suspect that these factors account for some of the prosperity gap.

First off, I think its incredibly important to only compare GDP per capita, with a PPP adjustment.

(purchasing power parity)

To do otherwise creates an illusion where someone may have more money, but also may have to spend more of it to purchase the same things.

Looking at this list (3 lists really) we see a range of data that does suggest Australia is better off, but not by as much as the raw data might make you think. The gap is between 2 and 5 spots and between 1-3k per capita in international dollars.

A second thing I would suggest is that Australia's minimum wages are a huge factor.

The Australian minimum wage is 17.51CAD (19.49AUD) per hour.

But above that there are mandatory premiums for evening, weekend and overnight work.

4 weeks of paid leave is also the minimum by law which is a de facto 4% raise vs 2 weeks here and results in greater leisure spending.

An excellent piece in this morning's Star, by Jennifer Pagliaro on the need to properly fund our Libraries, and in particular, the 'Open Hours' Plan.

This Tweet from the Star's JPags says a lot.

1579724859395.png

Let me throw a couple of numbers in for added context.

The City Operating Budget is 11.585 Billion.

Fully funding the above would represent an increase of 0.023%

Less than that when the capital budget (unimpacted) is considered.

She then tweeted re-tweeted this statement from the Mayor:

1579725298761.png

I find a problematic incongruity here.

This Tweet from the Star's JPags says a lot.

View attachment 226872

Let me throw a couple of numbers in for added context.

The City Operating Budget is 11.585 Billion.

Fully funding the above would represent an increase of 0.023%

Less than that when the capital budget (unimpacted) is considered.

She then tweeted re-tweeted this statement from the Mayor:

View attachment 226874

I find a problematic incongruity here.

Don't you see? By "studying" and "approving" a myriad of feel-good paper initiatives at council, despite not funding them or deferring the funding to an undetermined future budget, our politicians still get to publicly grandstand and congratulate themselves on their valiant efforts without making the actual hard commitments that result from spending real dollars to make a difference in the present.

It's all smoke and mirrors.

Don't you see? By "studying" and "approving" a myriad of feel-good paper initiatives at council, despite not funding them or deferring the funding to an undetermined future budget, our politicians still get to publicly grandstand and congratulate themselves on their valiant efforts without making the actual hard commitments that result from spending real dollars to make a difference in the present.

It's all smoke and mirrors.

That would be the precise reason I juxtaposed those 2 items.

I was told, by a candidate from the 47 Ward non-election, that the cheques were coming 'in January" but ....

UPDATE: I just emailed City Clerk and was told "Thank you for contacting Election Services. Payments for Contribution Rebates are now being processed and should be released in the next month or so. If you have not received your rebate by March, please contact our office again. "

Further update from today: "The contribution rebate payment has been processed and the cheques will be mailed out this week."

?

Ravine Strategy has been passed by council w/operating funds to flow this year. Vote 24-0

Mayor Tory moved a motion for budget Ctte to explore advancing capital funds to this year, that also passed.

Had a chance to speak w/some pols and senior City officials tonight.

It looks like there will be at least a report, just maybe the political will to pass a Vacant Homes Tax, but it appears not in time for this year's budget.

I'm hearing a report due in March?

There is some money in play for smaller priorities......if you have an unfunded wish list, get on the horn to your councillor. Don't expect any big items, but there's at least a few million in play, or at least that's my impression.

There will be a new pricing strategy for Green P very soon, which will raise prices to market-rates.

There is some money in play for smaller priorities......if you have an unfunded wish list, get on the horn to your councillor. Don't expect any big items, but there's at least a few million in play, or at least that's my impression.

Excellent! I wish they'd pay Perks to stop writing any articles or otherwise giving his opinion on anything in any media.

I shall contact my councillor with this idea for funding immediately!

?

Back