News   Apr 24, 2024
 958     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 620     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

I have a digital thermometer in my living room; I've seen it reach 28C in the summer.
I’m on the 19th floor of a gargantuan concrete monolith. With the shades down, windows slightly open and a fan creating a cross breeze (corner unit), I used to have it hit 27 before the building turned on central air in late May. They replaced the windows last year with full height, ultra efficient ones and now I’ve seen it hit 30 in our apartment—random points measured around the apartment with an infrared thermometer.
Tenants have fought with the landlord to have the option to turn it on earlier, but they’ve always declined.

I’m on the 19th floor of a gargantuan concrete monolith. With the shades down, windows slightly open and a fan creating a cross breeze (corner unit), I used to have it hit 27 before the building turned on central air in late May. They replaced the windows last year with full height, ultra efficient ones and now I’ve seen it hit 30 in our apartment—random points measured around the apartment with an infrared thermometer.
Tenants have fought with the landlord to have the option to turn it on earlier, but they’ve always declined.

They can't. It's the law in Toronto. From 15th day of September in each year to the 1st day of June of the following year, the heat MUST be on. Even with global warming, the heat must be on in May. Bet you the A/C is on in May on the buses, streetcars, and subway.

Only the right wing councilors are deplorable cockroaches eh
get a grip buddy

Only the right wing councilors are deplorable cockroaches eh
get a grip buddy

Hold on, did he say the list was comprehensive?

LOL

Let me add, I know 2 of the those 4 personally and take no issue w/their being on that list. Its not the exact choice of words I would use........I've rarely been one for casual vernacular.........but he 's not wrong....

The only one I might find that a bit extreme for is Holyday, because while I think he's wrong about most things; rather myopic; and broadly lacking compassion and foresight, I think in his case its without intentional malice.....

As to 'lefties' on Council here, many do indeed have their faults...........but few are as openly opposed to treating others w/fairness and decency as those cited above; and most are less nakedly schilling for those who lobby them or for their own self-interest, than some others on council......

Last edited:
^An eminently reasonable comment that wins me over. But that's sort of my point. The difference between your comment and his (and mine too, I suppose) couldn't be more stark. Often, it's not the content of a given comment that raises ire (believe me, I have no love lost for politicos of any stripe), but the tone.

To be fair, and as @Northern Light already mentioned, there're jokers on all sides of the proverbial aisle.
I see your Minnan-Wong and raise you a Perks.

It's a fool's game arguing about that particular collection of fools.

Anyway, @Towered's biggest mistake there was really failure to include Grimes. :p

Fine, in the interests of being as non-partisan as possible, Grimes and Perks deserve to be mentioned as well, though even they are not quite as outwardly offensive as the others I mentioned.

They offend my sense of propriety at least as much as the aforementioned.

Perks is actually the only councillor I've ever head the displeasure of speaking with. By "speaking with" I mean talked to. By "talked to" I mean some nonsense that was hostile to my very own self being spouted at me in some misguided effort to make himself seem he had my best interests at heart and was my friend.
A bit of the ol' "I love you man, give me all your money, you don't deserve it because you worked too hard for it".

Aaaaanyway.....I can't believe my bum neighbours re-elected him.

Don't forget that the city is a "child" of the province. The province can and did veto or change decisions made by the city.

Yeah, but Tory was mostly useless under Wynne as well.

On top of that, he's been mostly useless with intracity affairs as well- stuff like the King Street Pilot were pushed largely by the planning department, while his actual policies (i.e. Vision Zero, Smarttrack) have all failed- he's no Miller, that's for sure.

Personally I don't think he shows much excitement about his position.

They offend my sense of propriety at least as much as the aforementioned.

Perks is actually the only councillor I've ever head the displeasure of speaking with. By "speaking with" I mean talked to. By "talked to" I mean some nonsense that was hostile to my very own self being spouted at me in some misguided effort to make himself seem he had my best interests at heart and was my friend.
A bit of the ol' "I love you man, give me all your money, you don't deserve it because you worked too hard for it".

Aaaaanyway.....I can't believe my bum neighbours re-elected him.

Sort of like an Adam Vaughan?

A sort of lesser, more petty version of C.S. Lewis's quote on tyranny?
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

- C.S. Lewis

Last edited:

Back