News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 557     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 849     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Sure, done. Here's a graph of (basically) upward mobility over the past several decades:

Achieving-upward-mobility-has-become-more-challenging-in-Ontario.png

(Source: Statistics Canada Longitudinal Administrative Databank custom tabulation and FAO.)

Notice its relative stability during the Bob Rae years (even despite a recession!)? And then the decline during the Harris years? Followed by a modest rise during the Liberals?

Greater job numbers mean squat if those jobs pay less, and there's regression of the middle class.

The stats went down from 2003 to 2010 when the liberals were in charge.

The stats went down from 2003 to 2010 when the liberals were in charge.
Each bar is a 5-year span. The 2003 to which you refer is the 1998-2003 period, during which (for all but two months), Mike Harris and Ernie Eves were in charge. The crossover periods (where both parties were in charge at some point are 1998-2003 through 2002-2007. That said, based on the first 5-year that is completely recent liberals is 2003-2008 through 2011-2016, and you will note that the percentage went up by about 3.5% during that time; and you will also note that is during a major recession ("The Great Recession"). That ought to be commended, regardless of whether you agree with the party.

I am not a Liberal voter by any means, but they created more upward mobility in this province than any other party on this graph.

You'll also note that during from the point it was all Harris/Eves PCO (1995-2000+) it did nothing but go down. Worse yet, that was during what seemed on paper to be an economic boom (you can guess what socioeconomic class was benefiting from that!).

If you want to cite GDP or Jobs numbers, great. But this graph is a far better realization of what's actually happened on the ground level, and how real people's lives were affected by those holding the reins of power.

Last edited:
That would be quite the political journey for Tory (ONPC-Mayor of Toronto-ON Liberals), but I bet he'd rather retire than put himself back into the political arena of provincial politics.

This discussion sort of has me wondering when we'll start seeing the rumblings of potential ON Liberal leadership candidates.

I had the thought in the past that it would not have been the worse thing for Ontario (and by extension, Toronto) if Tory jumped in the PC leadership race after Patrick Brown got canned.

Steven Del Duca has already announced his candidacy for the ON Liberal leadership.

A typical Toronto solution - just give up!

I wrote to Toronto Hydro (a City-owned agency) to complain that the flag and flag-pole had been removed from on top of their transformer station at Adelaide and George. Apparently it's not the only flag-less building! Here is Hydro's response!

"I’ve been in contact with our facilities manager and he’s advised that for safety reasons we’ve removed the flags from our buildings. I wasn’t aware of this recent change, but he’s advised that the flag poles and structural supports were installed a number of years ago and did not meet current codes. During our replacement review, it was also determined that often the location of the flags on our buildings makes it very dangerous for our crews to maintain – as I mentioned, we’ve always been very conscientious to ensure the flags were in a good state and regularly maintained. For these reasons and to reduce risks, we’ve decided not to replace the structural supports and poles."

We MAY be getting sidewalk snow clearing throughout the City.

About time, it's not rocket science!

Funny how the survey results are aggregated at the city level and the policy changes is about the old city,. I am sure that's great way of looking through the "equity lens". :rolleyes:

We shall see how long it will take the city to figure it out - there is a tendency for it turn everything into interstellar travel.

AoD

Note that the report only recommends testing existing equipment on a small sub-set of currently unplowed sidewalk in the 2019-2020 winter season.

There is a suggestion that a full harmonization request will be forwarded this time next year; but that is not spelled out here and there is no budget commitment for that attached.

What they do propose is lowering the amount of snow that triggers plowing on sidewalks where plowing already occurs, where there are low volumes of pedestrian traffic.

Note that the report only recommends testing existing equipment on a small sub-set of currently unplowed sidewalk in the 2019-2020 winter season.

There is a suggestion that a full harmonization request will be forwarded this time next year; but that is not spelled out here and there is no budget commitment for that attached.

What they do propose is lowering the amount of snow that triggers plowing on sidewalks where plowing already occurs, where there are low volumes of pedestrian traffic.
…Meanwhile the high-trafficked downtown streets remain in a permanent winter state of personal injury minefield.

Back