News   Jul 12, 2024
 592     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 611     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 281     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Hahaha. .........I just read about that today. No chance. If I'm wrong I may feel the need to get drunk and do something stupid like I may or may not have done when I was 19.
How old is that joker?
Mid Forties. Super bad judgement. I'd hope his political careers was over.

Since Desmond is going to split the progressive vote and Thug will run from the alt-stupid, it looks like I am going to be forced to vote for John Tory...

This sucks.
It's sad that state of affairs when we are forced to vote "anyone but them" in an election.

Since Desmond is going to split the progressive vote and Thug will run from the alt-stupid, it looks like I am going to be forced to vote for John Tory...

This sucks.

If by election day it becomes obvious that Tory will win anyway (just like last time), then don't vote for him.

This sucks.
Desmond will likely do about as well as Andray Domise - remember him - the last so called up-and-coming progressive.

Desmond will likely do about as well as Andray Domise - remember him - the last so called up-and-coming progressive.

I can't see a scenario where Cole wins more than 12%, which Joe Pantalone got in 2010. I can see Cole being the 2018 Pantalone - the left-wing standard-bearer who card-carrying New Democrats can support but who fizzles out city-wide.

For the council's left, Cole also acts as a placeholder so that when Tory retires in 2022 they can annoint a bigger name like Layton or KWT.

If by election day it becomes obvious that Tory will win anyway (just like last time), then don't vote for him.
That attitude is responsible for Trump getting elected in US so be careful. What seems like a sure-thing from polls etc can unravel. (Similarly to Plante being elected Mayor in Montreal, though that is probably a better result than predicted.)

I had friends who came to that conclusion last election.

They were terrified and regretted terribly not voting for Tory when they saw how close Doug was.

I fully respect whichever way you decide to vote. For me personally, I am desperately trying to avoid casting my vote for someone that I oppose for so many reasons, who I fully expect will run another unbearable election campaign and continue pushing regressive policies when re-elected. It would bother me to no end if I voted for this, so I would need to sense a serious thread from Doug Ford before I do such a thing.

Either way, our options are just miserable.

That attitude is responsible for Trump getting elected in US so be careful. What seems like a sure-thing from polls etc can unravel. (Similarly to Plante being elected Mayor in Montreal, though that is probably a better result than predicted.)

If you look past some of the mainstream media narrative, the polls weren't all that wrong. Toward election day they pointed toward a competitive race, where Clinton's lead was often within the margin of error. The national polls in particular were quite close to where the race ended up.

That being said, the voter should also consider where they live. Unless you're in a swing district, voting against her was perfectly safe since it would have had no influence on the result under the electoral college.

I see people on Twitter being quite critical of Tory over the warming shelter issue. What is your take on this?
Real social issue, invented political crisis.

Homelessness is a complex issue and there needs to be better support in general. There was an ECW alert last week and armouries could have been a short-term solution. The challenge is that armouries aren't made for long-term support and the presence of homeless folks interferes with the primary use of the building - and these are in use every day of the week. They are also a federal asset, which is different from, say, a community centre. Why don't we use community centre gyms as emergency shelters? For pretty much the same reason why we don't use armouries.

In short, not clear why Tory is catching all the blame here.

In short, not clear why Tory is catching all the blame here.

Because he is supposed to lead? He could have whipped the vote if he see this as an issue that matters, and frankly he doesn't. Short-term solutions are still solutions to acute crisis - not to say it is ideal, but I am fairly certain someone homeless will take it over -20C exposure.

In any case, the best way to control Tory's agenda is through council - things are the way they are now because of the sycophants on it.

AoD

Last thing Toronto needs is a downtown focused hard left liberal conuncillor...

Will be the inverse of Rob Ford, who will just cause resentment in the suburbs.

Tory for his faults, balances both parts.

Back