News   Jul 12, 2024
 570     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 584     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 279     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Let's run it up the ($5 million!!) flagpole and see if anyone salutes it.

0jmYlHUq_normal.jpg
Giorgio Mammoliti@mammolitiward7
12 mins ago
I invite them to directly accuse me of doing something illegal & outside my jurisdiction as Cllr so I can sue their sorry asses for slander.

How can there not be a mandatory straight forward process for valuating and acquiring land? The negotiation is never simple but appraising land and assets on the land should be quite straight forward with approved professionals.

The discussion between Sixrings and OneCity illustrates the degree to which our current municipal structure doesn't work for anyone. Our municipal governments have changed over the years, and as our city-region grows, there's no reason to think that our current structure must be cast in stone for all time. It's crystal clear that people in the suburbs want a radically different city than people in the core, because they keep electing councilors who have a fundamentally auto-centric view of what a good city should be. So a modest proposal to improve abysmal streetcar service on King will be decided by councilors like Karygiannis, Holyday and Pasternak, to the detriment of anyone who actually relies on the King streetcar. Conversely, my Councilor, KWT, has a (minority) voice on what happens in Scarborough, even though I, and I suspect most Ward 27 residents, never go there and have zero interest in the place. It doesn't have to be this way. Other, vastly more successful cities than Toronto have relatively local councils that deal with local matters, while uploading major regional functions like transit to higher-level bodies insulated from local politics. Sydney and London are two examples. When every single thing we attempt in the core to make ourselves more of a safe, walkable, transit-positive city is stymied by Council's suburban brain trust, it's time to call bullshit on the whole system. As OneCity notes, the suburbs and the core are radically different places with completely different aspirations. We are not one city. We can debate individual issues until we're blue in our collective face, but the root cause of every single one of these intractable UT yelling matches is that the amalgamated city makes no sense and will never serve the wildly conflicting aspirations of its widely diverse residents. Sometimes it's best to admit the relationship is at a dead end and file for divorce. No fault, it's just that we'd be better off without each other.

The whole Metro concept should be brought back in a certain way- perhaps more similar to New York and its boroughs.

The whole Metro concept should be brought back in a certain way- perhaps more similar to New York and its boroughs.

The problem is scale - bringing back a Metro with the old boundaries makes no sense from a GTA perspective - it's something the Golden Report of the mid-90s covered. Besides, a lot of our current problems ultimately came from politics of the old Metro (esp. transportation planning) - so I wouldn't take it as a panacea.

AoD

3. Im on the Wrong side of history?

I live in one of the most beautiful underrated suburbs which happens to neighbour this big City that we all enjoy. Im good thanks.

"Suburbs" are not the diseased land full of people living a foreign lifestyle some Torontonians are led to believe. They are just another great part of an ever evolving landscape within the City and Province which happens to have unique needs for growth compared to Downtown. Its great to love the way you live, just have respect for others as well.

Actually, your problem isn't that you're defending the suburbs. It's that you're defending them in the terms that one might defend McMansion rebuilds, EIFS refacings, etc.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/lif...ough-neighbourhood-to-action/article26313613/

Actually, your problem isn't that you're defending the suburbs. It's that you're defending them in the terms that one might defend McMansion rebuilds, EIFS refacings, etc.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/lif...ough-neighbourhood-to-action/article26313613/

No its much more simple than that. Im defending the larger context of complete disrespect as @W. K. Lis said "...People in the center (AKA downtown) seem to be moving forward in the 21st century, while those in outer fringes of the city (AKA suburbs) seem to be stuck in the mid-20th century"

And after I responded its not a fair or respectable statement

@sixrings came in with this:
..."The suburbs haven't been hip to anyone since leave it to beaver. Sure it's cheap but so are American made cars. Guess what... no one wants domestic cars either. One city is on the wrong side of history"

Ill defend both Downtown or the Suburbs from anyone who has a divisive marginalizing POV. I personally like aspects of the evolving downtown urban-ism lifestyle, many aspects of current suburban lifestyle and the gradual shift toward suburban-urban lifestyle. But the idea that only one area, Politicians or residents within POV is right or all that matters is disturbing. Thats what I called out. Not "latte-sippers" Not "anti-bikes Pinko" or any other standard crap which follows when this rhetoric is questioned. These type of comments are very disrespectful.

So tell me what my problem is again? Its that I respond to these types of posts from a handful here and in this forum if you call out this type crap, you become the troll.

Last edited:
No its much more simple than that. Im defending the larger context of complete disrespect as @W. K. Lis said "...People in the center (AKA downtown) seem to be moving forward in the 21st century, while those in outer fringes of the city (AKA suburbs) seem to be stuck in the mid-20th century"

And after I responded its not a fair or respectable statement

@sixrings came in with this:
..."The suburbs haven't been hip to anyone since leave it to beaver. Sure it's cheap but so are American made cars. Guess what... no one wants domestic cars either. One city is on the wrong side of history"

Ironically, the article which I offered
*is* an article on behalf of mid-c20 Scarborough, Leave It To Beaver-ism and all. But on behalf of *its embrace* (and yes, even with a touch of "hip" appeal) as a means of moving forward--not its obliteration.

Ill defend both Downtown or the Suburbs from anyone who has a divisive marginalizing POV. I personally like aspects of the evolving downtown urban-ism lifestyle, many aspects of current suburban lifestyle and the gradual shift toward suburban-urban lifestyle. But the idea that only one area, Politicians or residents within POV is right or all that matters is disturbing. Thats what I called out. Not "latte-sippers" Not "anti-bikes Pinko" or any other standard crap which follows when this rhetoric is questioned. These type of comments are very disrespectful.

So tell me what my problem is again? Its that I respond to these types of posts from a handful here and in this forum if you call out this type crap, you become the troll.

Your problem isn't that you're defending the 'burbs. It's that you're defending the mentality which'd consider this
motel6a11.jpg

to be a freshening-up improvement over this.

motel6m9b.jpg

Ironically, the article which I offered
*is* an article on behalf of mid-c20 Scarborough, Leave It To Beaver-ism and all. But on behalf of *its embrace* (and yes, even with a touch of "hip" appeal) as a means of moving forward--not its obliteration.

Your problem isn't that you're defending the 'burbs. It's that you're defending the mentality which'd consider this
motel6a11.jpg

to be a freshening-up improvement over this.

motel6m9b.jpg

No I'm defending anything close to that. I'm calling out the rhetoric in this forum that is divisive and not helpful to move anyone in this City into the "21st Century". If anything being arrogant and not listening (not you personally) is what is making things worse and dragging us all out so we can move ahead in a timely manner.

There is no blanket solution to City evolution and "urbanism", or revitalization. Some areas should transform fast and other gradual or be urbanized only within in specific parts. As someone who didn't grow up here I can say undoubtedly we have a politically narrated media in this City that takes any differences and flames it into a divide and also tell people what is "right". This is not helpful in a diverse City that's been heavily underfund and left without proper planning from upper Government levels for decades.

We are a City clearly transitioning and a key boiling point. In 25-50 years things will be far from perfect but the landscape should be so different it will be easier to transform other remaining areas, and have greater consensus on both public transit growth and operational concerns as urbanization will be making gradual inroads. I just think until these inroads are made we need to be more respectful, and find compromise to get thru this time quicker without giving opportunity for enough residents to want to hire a polarized leader.

Being equally combative to the Politics that have arose over apathy or keeping an "I'm right" "you're wrong" mentality, will only piss off more voters and prolong the pain. This mentality will continue to produce opposite results given the strong climate we are in. I feel there are misunderstandings in this City that will never be fairly reported but a bit of compromise and respect for the residents will be the fastest way to alleviate the support for these figures. While I don't like some of Tory's details in his plans, I like that he just wants to get the City moving forward and isn't trying to blanket approach the transformation in areas of differing needs

Last edited:
I think a core reason Toronto is at this breaking point is that there is a sizable part of the city, post-amalgamation, in communities in Scarborough, North York and Etobicoke, who see the government's only role as curbside garbage pickup and installing stop signs. For better or worse, these are people who are concerned about their front lawns, their grandchildren, and their RRSPs.

Most importantly, these are the people most likely to vote on election day.

I think a core reason Toronto is at this breaking point is that there is a sizable part of the city, post-amalgamation, in communities in Scarborough, North York and Etobicoke, who see the government's only role as curbside garbage pickup and installing stop signs. For better or worse, these are people who are concerned about their front lawns, their grandchildren, and their RRSPs.

Most importantly, these are the people most likely to vote on election day.

People are concerned with their lawns the same way others are concerned with their balconies otherwise everyone should care about their families and RRSP's and should vote on election day. You only have to go a few KM's east, west or north on the subway from bloor/yonge to see swaths of SF homes in abundance, with grassy lawns. You don't have to drive far in Scarborough to see large rental building lining the main roads with large numbers without the lawn you generalize about.

These generalizations are useless, we certainly have differing needs mainly based on lack of investment and poorly planned previous investment(s) to spur growth in the suburbs or lack of investments to deal with growth from caused by investments from a previous era in the Citys core. We need to be more supportive of both and help connect people better. There is really no other way that will work. People are not that different anywhere, and many live in certain areas based on circumstance of employment, or family and not that they hate others way of life.

Last edited:

Back