News   May 03, 2024
 615     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 392     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 214     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

SmartTrack is destine to the waste bin of other discarded transit ideas. The problem isn't his lacklustre or piecemeal ideas, but the fact that any bold, ambitious, or visionary plan always requires large and stable amounts of funding. Other cities have the power to tax gasoline or impose road tolls and other sources to fund transit projects, but in Ontario we're subject to the whims of who's in Queens Park to hopefully give us funding to fund any projects with the hopes that they don't cut and run like the Harris government did in the 90's. If Toronto ever wants to move forward it needs the power to generate it own tax revenue funding without Queens Park interfering.

Is there a Transit Authority that doesn't operate at the whim of it's State/Provincial authority?

Is there a Transit Authority that doesn't operate at the whim of it's State/Provincial authority?

Good question, I would have to say yes and no, Transit Authorities that do have some autonomy from State/Province like TransLink in B.C. can still have an indirect influence. But my point wasn't that provincial authorities shouldn't be totally excluded from being part of transit or regional planning, my point was if your giving cities like Toronto authority to plan it's own transit, they should have the proper tools like fuel or sales tax to carry it out without fear that in four years time, a change in government later can take it all away. If you like or hate the idea of an fuel/sales tax on the municipal level that's something that should be directed at elected city officials, not the province.

Amalgamation could be undone, but it won't be easy: Fraser Institute report
Undoing the shotgun wedding of municipalities like Toronto may not be easy but it's possible, a new Fraser Institute report says.

But de-amalgamation, like divorce, can cost plenty if not handled properly, the report cautions.

The authors of De-Amalgamation: Breaking Up Is Hard To Do, to be released publicly Tuesday, examined the cases of Montreal and Winnipeg.
[...]
"John Tory won votes mainly in downtown and mid-town Toronto, whereas Doug Ford won most of the polls in the city's suburbs in the former municipalities of Etobicoke and Scarborough."

The report found that amalgamation can lead to governance headaches as cities are too large to respond effectively to individual citizens but too small to address regional concerns such as public transit.
http://www.torontosun.com/2015/07/0...e-but-it-wont-be-easy-fraser-institute-report

Amalgamation could be undone, but it won't be easy: Fraser Institute report

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/07/0...e-but-it-wont-be-easy-fraser-institute-report

I have more chances of winning the Lotto Max jackpot twice than the possibility of Toronto de-amalgamating, and it's unlikely you'll ever see the province allowing a binding referendum on the issue, unless they can be guaranteed it won't result in de-amalgamation. So it doesn't matter in the end, love it or hate it, the megacity is here to stay.

Rob Ford gives John Tory a failing grade
Asked to give his successor a report card on his mayoralty so far, the ex-mayor said he’d give Tory “an ‘F’ right across the board.

“I can’t find anything that he’s done that’s positive. If you have, let me know,” Ford told reporters Wednesday. “Everything he’s campaigned on, he’s switched or he’s dithered or he’s completely hasn’t done what he said he was going to do.

“I don’t believe he’s been a very good mayor at running the city.”
[...]
“This is a man who, I think, the second day I was sworn in said he was going to run against me for mayor, so I treat his comments accordingly,” Tory said. “What would I expect him to say? I would take interest in the fact that his nephew (Trustee Michael Ford) gave me a B in the Toronto Life magazine.

“I don’t pay much attention to these grades no matter who is giving them. I’m doing my best. I’m working as hard as I possibly can for people in Toronto.”
http://www.torontosun.com/2015/07/08/rob-ford-gives-john-tory-a-failing-grade

And Tory responded by saying he doesn't really care what Rob Ford thinks, especially since Ford has already said he's planning to run for mayor again in 2018.

And Tory responded by saying he doesn't really care what Rob Ford thinks, especially since Ford has already said he's planning to run for mayor again in 2018.

Unless Rob runs for both Mayor and Councillor (for Ward 2), running just for Mayor will get rid of Rob for sure.

I dunno, Doug Ford still made inroads around Old Toronto, excluding North York. If Ford pulls off another clean sweep outside Old Toronto. Then it's another four years of chaos.

I don't see how he can do another clean sweep outside Old Toronto - he might be able to hold onto Etobicoke and Scarborough, but I think North York is going to be beyond his reach.

AoD

Two things would be against Rob Ford. One is John Tory, two is ranked ballots. Rob Ford would never be my #1, nor my #2, nor my #3 choice. John Tory on the other hand, could be my #2 or my #3, and even my #1 if there is no one else better.

I don't see how he can do another clean sweep outside Old Toronto - he might be able to hold onto Etobicoke and Scarborough, but I think North York is going to be beyond his reach.

AoD

Etobicoke probably, but after the transit, re Scarborough Subway, failing to be funded by Harperville after his buddy went fishing with him and all... IMHO, I don't think either Ford will be to much of a lock in Scarborough, especially if we adopt a ranked ballot system.

Of course the Fords could dust off the plans for a Light-Metro under Bay Street.

Last edited:
Two things would be against Rob Ford. One is John Tory, two is ranked ballots. Rob Ford would never be my #1, nor my #2, nor my #3 choice. John Tory on the other hand, could be my #2 or my #3, and even my #1 if there is no one else better.

This is setting the bar low, but for all of the griping I hear, Tory doesn't make a total fool of himself like Rob still does. I mean, Rob admits to breaking the HOV laws, supports carding (despite his base being multicultural) and wears track suits to Council. He is basically is a has-been at this point.

Having ranked ballots doesn't necessarily mean Rob Ford couldn't win, an assumption that people seem to think that this system will always only guarantee only progressive candidates can win.

Back