News   Oct 01, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Oct 01, 2024
 644     0 
News   Oct 01, 2024
 1K     2 

Marriott & Area - Photo Update

New Hotel at the CNE

Speaking of hotels, the CNE got three proposals from our RFP. I can't name them (they are big), however we have invited two of the companies to move forward in the process.

The site selected will be parking lot directed west of the Automotive building and south of the Trade Centre.

An architect is being hired as we speak and public consultations will begin this summer. Construction is slated to begin in November of 2007.

With the trade centre, soccer, hockey and all these summer events on site the hotel will be successful in this location.

Louroz

Re: New Hotel at the CNE

FutureMayor:

Do you work for CNE? If so do you know anything about the Exhibition Grounds master plan/revitalization effort supposedly being led by Ontario Place? There is brief mention of it on the TWRC site.

Is this hotel part of some larger strategy? I would imagine the master plan is in early stages, as there is little publicly released information, but thought you might have some insight.

What will happen to the barracks?

The barracks now contain Canada's Sports Hall of Fame.

bengaijin:

I sit on the board of the directors of the CNE and we get updates from the board of govenors of exhibition place, i'm also good friends with the general manager, so she gives me the inside track on new developments.

We approved a master plan for the ground way back in 2003. In the strategy it did include the hotel, however intrestingly enough didn't include a soccer stadium, which actually goes against the vision of protecting the view corridor between the fountain and the gates. I have a copy of the plan somewhere that I can e-mail to you if you like. Just e-mail at futuremayor@Hotmail.com.

Exhibition Place and Ontario Place was suppose to merge as one last year, one of many attempts over the decades, that plan has since fell off the face of the earth.

Archivistower, any plan will have to incorporate the barracks.

42: it's only a temporary measure for the Sports Hall of Fame. There are provisions to move it into the new soccer stadium.

Louroz

I agree - he seems like a great guy. He sees an untapped market and moves in. I for one am glad he's in the mid-scale hotel market, adding more affordable rooms that will attract people to stay downtown from places like Michigan, New York State and central Canada, the ones that will fill the SkyDome, the musicals, the museums.

So he's the one behind Easton's at 401 and 28. I always thought that place was a gold mine. (I go to Belleville often enough).

He is a nice guy. I wasn't sure what to expect with his new hotels in the core, but this black one looks alright. I hope the base is good too. From what I remember the one in the Entertainment District isn't going to be bad either.

the front entrance
100_0001.jpg

100_0002.jpg

I'm very pleased with this.
The project kinda snuck in, was built quickly, and turned out fairly good.

Indeed this one didn't get a lot of attention initially yet turned out to be a notable addition to the area. The only thing I'm not sure about is the yellowish southern facade, is that the completed colour or are they going to cover that up?

It also does a good job of hiding that new building to the west of it that also snuck in, was built quickly and turned out pretty bad.

Back