News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 439     0 

Malls get the 'destination' makeover

All Woodbine needs is some sort of good/unique anchor store to keep it open/successful. The Promenade was pretty much dead before T&T moved in.

prosperegal, DHLawrence85..

Woodbine.. the Zellers used to be a Eatons, right? The Bay is still there, but down at heels looking.

The funfair was THE place in the early 90s; jampacked on weekends. The McDonalds was filled with toddler birthday parties.

Last week 'The General Store' - a kind of gift and nick-nacks store closed. This was a place where small vendors could consign their merchandise. One vendor sold CR123 battery powered flashlights - the kind of battery used years ago to power the flash in film cameras - these 50$ flashlights are like 60watt lamps that you can carry around. I bought them as gifts. Now I have no place to buy them:eek:

They've also turned down the lights in this mall - to save electricity I suppose - It's always gloomy inside; quite sad.

Woodbine.. the Zellers used to be a Eatons, right? The Bay is still there, but down at heels looking.
There's never been an Eatons in Woodbine Centre. The mall opened with a Simpson's and a Bay (yes, both HBC). What is now Zellers used to be a Toys 'R' Us (I think). Sears took over the Simpson's location as there was already a Bay in the mall when Simpson's was mothballed.

They've also turned down the lights in this mall - to save electricity I suppose - It's always gloomy inside; quite sad.
Sad indeed, but I think we've heard speculation on this forum that the mall's days are numbered and that it will be replaced by some sort of new shopping 'experience' across the street at Woodbine Live.

There's never been an Eatons in Woodbine Centre. The mall opened with a Simpson's and a Bay (yes, both HBC). What is now Zellers used to be a Toys 'R' Us (I think). Sears took over the Simpson's location as there was already a Bay in the mall when Simpson's was mothballed.

Sad indeed, but I think we've heard speculation on this forum that the mall's days are numbered and that it will be replaced by some sort of new shopping 'experience' across the street at Woodbine Live.

Thanks. This mall should be doing better. There are several condos nearby. Some of the Woodbine goers must be detouring here to shop.. There are no malls nearby. There's a movieplex inside. I don't get it. :eek:

There's a river valley separating Woodbine Centre from Humber College to the north. To drive down from the college to the Woodbine Centre and return would have meant loosing your parking spot.
Walking? Forget it... too far.
TTC? A transfer of buses would require too much waiting.
If the proposed Finch West LRT running to Humber College Blvd. could be extended south to the Centre and racetrack, it may help, but it may already be too late for it by the time its built.

Thanks. This mall should be doing better. There are several condos nearby. Some of the Woodbine goers must be detouring here to shop.. There are no malls nearby. There's a movieplex inside. I don't get it. :eek:

As I've suggested before, if you want to blame anything, blame changing neighbourhood demos. Anchor-stored hub malls like the Woodbine Centre have an inherent Cold War "white middle"-ness to them; it was the Woodbine Centre's misfortune to be built right as N Etobicoke started its plummet into its present-day multihued ghettoness. Presto: instant anachronism.

If you want today's neighbourhood mall-equivalents, there's the power centre built on the site of Rexdale Plaza; there's the persistence of Albion Mall (where the multiplex was Bollywoodized ages ago); and there's *ahem* Dr Flea's.

There's never been an Eatons in Woodbine Centre. The mall opened with a Simpson's and a Bay (yes, both HBC). What is now Zellers used to be a Toys 'R' Us (I think).

I believe it was an independent toy store; don't remember the name. I think there was a panda in the logo.

Sears took over the Simpson's location as there was already a Bay in the mall when Simpson's was mothballed.

I remember the days of Simpson's there. I remember the store being stripped to the shelves during the transition period. Those were the days...

As long as the Funfair's preserved, I'll be happy. That's the only redeeming part of the mall, anyway. I remember being there and that all you could smell was the sugar from the candy store--and the grease from McDonald's. Even today I can smell it sometimes when I close my eyes.

I believe it was an independent toy store; don't remember the name. I think there was a panda in the logo.

I remember the days of Simpson's there. I remember the store being stripped to the shelves during the transition period. Those were the days...

As long as the Funfair's preserved, I'll be happy. That's the only redeeming part of the mall, anyway. I remember being there and that all you could smell was the sugar from the candy store--and the grease from McDonald's. Even today I can smell it sometimes when I close my eyes.

It was called Toy City, and there were several of them spread throughout the Toronto area, including one at Dixie and Dundas, which is now a Value Village. I remember how depressed I was as a kid when the one in Woodbine closed. That was the first sign to me that the mall was possibly going down the tubes. That fear was confirmed when the comic shop, Games-A-Lot closed.

I last visited Woodbine a few months back and was pretty shocked by its decline. I think I counted something like 50 vacant shops, with most of the ones remaining being utterly uninspiring, no-frills discount shops filled with cheap, crappy products (like independent, baby versions of Walmart). And the Funfair was utterly dead too. It used to be brimming with kids and families, and also had a few small, independent toy shops inside, which are now either vacant or exciting nail salons or law offices. Blarg. What kid wants to hang around that? Even the McDonald's is long gone, and how often do you see a McDonald's close?? I remember thinking it was the only cool one I'd ever seen because of the faux historic architecture and interior design.

Last edited:
It was called Toy City, and there were several of them spread throughout the Toronto area, including one at Dixie and Dundas, which is now a Value Village. I remember how depressed I was as a kid when the one in Woodbine closed. That was the first sign to me that the mall was possibly going down the tubes. That fear was confirmed when the comic shop, Games-A-Lot closed.

I remember Toy City too. Their mascot was a panda, right? He always looked like he was soooo chill :) I don't remember one at Woodbine Centre though. We used to go to the one at the Chuck E. Cheese on Sheppard and Vic Park.

I last visited Woodbine a few months back and was pretty shocked by its decline. I think I counted something like 50 vacant shops, with most of the ones remaining being utterly uninspiring, no-frills discount shops filled with cheap, crappy products (like independent, baby versions of Walmart). And the Funfair was utterly dead too. It used to be brimming with kids and families, and also had a few small, independent toy shops inside, which are now either vacant or exciting nail salons or law offices. Blarg. What kid wants to hang around that? Even the McDonald's is long gone, and how often do you see a McDonald's close?? I remember thinking it was the only cool one I'd ever seen because of the faux historic architecture and interior design.

That's really sad...I think the funfair was really popular when malls used to be closed on Sundays when it was pretty much the only thing open.

Back