1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 393     0 

Malibu Developments: Good? Bad? Ugly?

Urban Newbie

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey Guys:

Can anyone give me some background on the developer Malibu? A friend is considering buying a unit at Gramercy Park (the one up at the Wilson subway station) and I want to do a bit of recon for him.

I've seen Malibu's ads etc. etc, but haven't heard much chatter that can tell me if they're a good builder or not. Are they solid? Do they have a decent track record? Has anyone bought into their projects and been happy, sad, regretful or otherwise?

Any honest input of the non-snarky variety is appreciated ;)

UN

Not a good builder in terms of finish and delivering on time. Read the Malibu project thread... I believe there was some discussion there about the builder

Horrible Builder

Hey Guys:

Can anyone give me some background on the developer Malibu? A friend is considering buying a unit at Gramercy Park (the one up at the Wilson subway station) and I want to do a bit of recon for him.

I've seen Malibu's ads etc. etc, but haven't heard much chatter that can tell me if they're a good builder or not. Are they solid? Do they have a decent track record? Has anyone bought into their projects and been happy, sad, regretful or otherwise?

Any honest input of the non-snarky variety is appreciated ;)

UN

Hi Urban Newbie,,you mau want to start reading up on another thread...bottom line is...The builder is horrible...

http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=727&page=18

Keep in mind though, the folks on the thread i sent you seem to be pro-malibu and tend to justify everything, even the obvious. They are also very ignornant to our feedback and tend to frown at credible negative feedback. I'll post some of my concerns shortly on this "real estate" thread because the folks on the ohter thread aint budging.

My Feedback

Im not sure why a few people think the Toy Soliders are a great add-on to the building. This building is supposed to take after a stylish, upscale, california like condo! Adding two soliders, one that looks like its been dismantled by and knocked down by mistake, doesnt portray a calming "malibu" atmosphere. I'll admit, I was laughing when i saw those things. I have to agree, the other statues around the city look much better. Not that Im not patriotic or anything, but i think we have enough of
Fort York Around us.

On another note, i've noticed a few people pretty content and happy with the development, but I also read a few posting with people upset. I have to agree with the "upsets." I wouldnt refer anyone to these builders. If anything I'd let them know to be aware and go with someone else. The quality of workmanship is horrible, and the response times on repair requests is even worse. The other day we saw 2 beer cans in a construction area of the condo, by the Pool. No wonder why its taking so long. That's not professional at all.

Bottom line is: they are robbing us of our maint fees and occupancy for horrible workmanship and sub par customer service. Its been over 3 years, and they have yet to register the building and transfer units. yes i understand it takes long, but im sure the process could have been quicker.

I'm sorry but i have to disagree with this comment left by another member... "Most of the world will never ever venture inside the building, so it doesn't really matter in that sense."

My repsonse: When your paying 100's of thousands of dollars, It better matter how the inside of the building is constructed and completed. As social as I may be, I could really care less about how the building "interacts with the streets" and how the outside world views our condo. You shouldnt be concerned about how other people see our condo, they are not spending money on it, nor do they see it as their home. So Im very surprised that you're not concerned about the inside of the building.

In regards to my comments regarding "enough fort york"...only 5 mins away do we have Fort York, with Canons going off every saturday morning. Trust me I can hear them from my unit. And as mentioned earlier, this is supposed to be a "modern" style condo portrayng a nice waterfront building. Read the presales description in the brochures if you still have them from 3 years ago. How do toy soliders play into all that? Not too sure.

Does anyone know if the condos on fort york blvd have soliders on the doorstep? If not, im sure they would love ours. Plus someone on the other thread wrote "this neighbourhood is so historic"..I beg to differ, which is why they develop a new condo on every site they can possibly get their hands on. If its so historic, im sure they would want to preserve the land around us. They should keep that old food bank across the street too. Its pretty historic. Im being sarcastic about that one. Oh wait, thats what the toy soliders are for. Nonetheless, I'll leave our poor statues alone. But it is funny that no one from that thread has replied to the real issues going on with the inside of the condo. If they have have no complaints about the actual buliding on the inside..well, I must respect their honesty. (or passion for dealing with horrible builders and settling for low standards) or Maybe i just have higher standards.

The issues that concern me more are those that have impact on the tenants and owners of the units.

-Delayed or Lack of response from Customer Service regarding repairs and unit issues. At times, no responses at all. Sometimes even solutions that are not even worth mentioning (ie..I asked about a repair to a crack in one of my main kitchen cabinets that was there from the beginning...they came and tried to put brown Pastelle on it to cover the crack! I was amazed at that attempt.) They actually thought this would do.

-Building entrance: this may be beyond their control, but ther is no viable entrance into the building, unless your coming down fort yr blvd, onto bathurst, making a right into the
building.

-Not sure about other units, but some of the doors within the units have formed sloaped indentations in them...no response from the builder to date.

-Not too sure what they will do in the winter months about the flooring. Huge concern for me due to the marble like material used for the main floor. A Big hazard for both tenants and visitors.

-A small issue, nothing too concerning but some of the elavators are still malfunctioning a bit.

-I've been keeping an eye on the games room and multipurpose room. If i recall, i remember first seeing the structure of the rooms at least 3 months ago. Till date, seems like they have a long way to go. Im sure they have their reasoning behind the slow progress, but we're not talking huge rooms here. Ive seen rooms like that go up in less than a month.

I dont want to go on too much because i do respect the form here. To sum it up, I dont think the diligence is being given to a project of such magnitude. As a owner I do think we deserve a little more credit for our concerns, and I dont think a detailed oriented approach to building is asking too much. All im saying is that the longer they take to complete, the longer we wait for the builing to be registered, and the longer we wait for transfer of unit owenrship, the more we get screwed.

P.S the comments in the elavator walls are pretty entertaining. Some left by construction workers I would think. thats real professional. I guess they have time on their hands.

Last edited:
In regards to my comments regarding "enough fort york"...only 5 mins away do we have Fort York, with Canons going off every saturday morning. Trust me I can hear them from my unit.

Those are actually pretty tame. The various tour boats (pretty sure it is a 3 mast sailing ship) also sets off canons regularly. In the summer day during a long weekend you can hear a canon shot every hour or so in this neighbourhood.

Not very loud in Atlantis unless the windows are open.

I looked at Malibu but opted not to buy there when they mentioned the Loblaw's which had already been cancelled as a selling point.

Oh, and the builder wants to register much more than you do. They don't get paid until registration day. Be prepared for them to walk away the day they register though, whether the building is finished or not.

You'll get used to the Cannons, and it's a neat detail to explain to guests; I used to live at Carleton House in Halifax (Just down the street from the Citadel - much closer than Fort York is to you) and it was never an inconvenience. I'd look forward to it actually :)

Also, the Toy Soldier sculpture, as much as I usually loathe Douglas Coupland's dilettante art is actually really clever. I can't think of a single piece of Condo Art that could compete (Haaaaaaate the CityPlace works)

Im not saying it not a nice piece, im just saying it could have been used elsewhere considering the "modern" idea behind malibu. I dont think it goes with the concept of the rest of the building.

Back