News   Jul 12, 2024
 753     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 691     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 301     0 

Magazine article -- "Toronto : Justice Denied"

Well, what allowed Pier 27 to wander over and join the conversation was the variable definition that you and u2 have over the meaning of "superblock". One describes a smaller block as a superblock, the other describes a neighbourhood of much bigger blocks as not a superblock. The common link is that they're about housing.

toronto justice denied

In particular, he was talking about the influence of Jane Jacobs, and what a double-edged sword her legacy has become for the city--in that being civic-minded in post-1970s Toronto has often been equated with saying 'no' to things, rather than articulating any real vision. It's an interesting thesis, and it definitely brought me around to the idea that maybe it's time to let some--though by no means all--of Jane's ideas rest.

I agree that Kingwell's piece, while well written, had no real thesis, but I also strongly agree with allabootmatt with regard to Jane Jacobs. She may not have said many of things she's been quoted as saying, but, and it's a big but, she is a touchstone for the conservative spirit of this city which stands in the way of improving the image of the city as a whole. It is a hard thing to describe but Toronto is highly resistant to change and remarkably uninterested in its visual image. The attitude is if it's worked well enough for us to this point, whether it inspires us or not, it's good enough. This accounts for the mediocrity of much of our architecture (the new stuff conforming to the consistently low standards of much of the older that it replaces) and our shabby main streets.

Back