News   Apr 16, 2024
 271     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 711     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 485     3 

M1 + M2 + Metropolis + Parkside Condos (Liberty Development) - Real Estate -

The Management office is telling me that there will be a meeting scheduled for this regardless of the sign up sheet . I think a notice will be sent out and it sometime this month with management, the board and the buildings accountant answering the questions that residents have about the Special Assessment.

Looks like Wednesday November 26 at 7pm.

Looks like Wednesday November 26 at 7pm.

but the meeting is in 2 years time, they wrote 2016 on the paper by mistake instead of 2014, lol

Even though a meeting is scheduled there is no guarantee that they will cancel the special assessment. They aren't holding the meeting to cancel the assessment but to explain why they are going ahead with it. I took the checks back but I am putting them away in case it has to be paid after all. Special Assessments are for unexpected costly repairs and not for Utility costs which are supposed to be covered by the monthly maintenance fees.

but the meeting is in 2 years time, they wrote 2016 on the paper by mistake instead of 2014, lol

Even though a meeting is scheduled there is no guarantee that they will cancel the special assessment. They aren't holding the meeting to cancel the assessment but to explain why they are going ahead with it. I took the checks back but I am putting them away in case it has to be paid after all. Special Assessments are for unexpected costly repairs and not for Utility costs which are supposed to be covered by the monthly maintenance fees.

Oh yeah they definitely won't cancel it, thats for sure. They are just having this meeting to calm everybody down and explain things. But I totally agree that special assessments are not for utility costs and repairs of flooring before the standard unit bylaw came into effect (as the letter stated) They wanted to make it a special assessment because they already raised fees over 8% , they would of had to raise it over 17% if they didn't have this assessment to cover the shortfall. Going forward they should be more diligent with raising hydro costs in order to budget adequately and we will not be on the hook for anymore flooring repairs as thats no longer included in the "standard unit" description.

So new neighbour moved in and is a heavy cigar smoker.....causing the smell to enter into my suite. Any ideas what I can do to stop the smell from entering?

Are you in M2? I am in M2 3rd floor and god damn did that hallway stink of smoke over the weekend!!! Good luck ... I have a neighbour who I share a balcony with who is a heavy weed smoker and I always smell it in my unit and in the hallway, i've notified mamangement in the past but nothing has come out of it.. I just deal with it. But I gotta say that hallway was pretty bad this weekend...

Last edited:
If the board of directors is in charge of managing building funds, and we came up waaaay short this year, shouldn't there be a special assessment levied on the board? Should they not be held responsible? Perhaps not to pay it, but why should they keep their position if they have failed us? And if there are special repairs required, they had better be ready to itemize each one and explain why they were not accounted for in our budget.

Also, they've covered our "fountain" in the shared park in front of the buildings for the past 3 winters, yet they have not yet done so this winter. Does anybody want to wager how much the special assessment will be this spring to fix that fountain after water freezes in the lines and they bust?

One other note, with all these special assessment and raised maintenance notices in the elevators here and with 1 of 3 elevators in M2 constantly out of service AND with all the weed and cigarette smokers in the building stinking up the halls, MAN OH MAN is it hard to sell a unit for a reasonable price.

I know if I came here for a showing and saw:
1. maintenance is going up, drastically
2. there are special assessments being levied on tenants
3. there is construction in our basement due to "builder deficiencies"

I wouldn't even bother looking at the condo I came to see.

This place has turned into a shit-show, and I haven't even started going into the neon lights emitting from several units in our building after 11PM screaming "we are selling sex services"

Are you in M2? I am in M2 3rd floor and god damn did that hallway stink of smoke over the weekend!!! Good luck ... I have a neighbour who I share a balcony with who is a heavy weed smoker and I always smell it in my unit and in the hallway, i've notified mamangement in the past but nothing has come out of it.. I just deal with it. But I gotta say that hallway was pretty bad this weekend...

No way! I am on the same floor as you and in M2. Cool! Are you right by the elevators by any chance?
Anyways, I went to Homedepot and bought some adhesive foam weatherstrips and taped all along the door. Hope that'll stop the smell.

No way! I am on the same floor as you and in M2. Cool! Are you right by the elevators by any chance?
Anyways, I went to Homedepot and bought some adhesive foam weatherstrips and taped all along the door. Hope that'll stop the smell.

Yeah close to the elevator along the wall, not in the little nooks. I sent you a private msg telling you exactly where.

thats a no no....the reason there is air circulation is for safety reason.

thats a no no....the reason there is air circulation is for safety reason.

The reason for that is because if there is a fire in a unit the smoke needs to go out the door. If the door is sealed then the pressure will build up from the smoke and the unit will explode. This is the reason that we have to put up with the smell and not only from cigarette smoke but cooking odors as well .

One other note, with all these special assessment and raised maintenance notices in the elevators here and with 1 of 3 elevators in M2 constantly out of service AND with all the weed and cigarette smokers in the building stinking up the halls, MAN OH MAN is it hard to sell a unit for a reasonable price.

I know if I came here for a showing and saw:
1. maintenance is going up, drastically
2. there are special assessments being levied on tenants
3. there is construction in our basement due to "builder deficiencies"

I wouldn't even bother looking at the condo I came to see.

This place has turned into a shit-show, and I haven't even started going into the neon lights emitting from several units in our building after 11PM screaming "we are selling sex services"

but isn't it the same in all Condo buildings and not just here , for example there was a Meth lab at Liberty Village condo's, causing an explosion, which blew the doors off the elevator, it was in the news

Back