1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 620     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 299     0 

LuminaTO

R

rdaner

Is it possible to start a thread on Luminato? This event is tentatively looking to be the big event of 2007 and the announcements are beginning to role in about happenings. This is on top of the planned openings of the ROM, AGO, RCM, etc. Here is the link:

www.luminato.ca/home.html

The news about the creators of Spamalot having an opening in town is a good start.

This sounds amazing. I may have to book some time off work for this.

Well it sounds like there is also a definate deadline for the Crystal now too.

CLASS OF 2007: THE ARTS
WILL JANICE PRICE HATCH THE NEXT GREAT FESTIVAL?
Another year, another set of great expectations. Can we solve the waterfront (finally)? Can we make the urban vote count in the provincial elections? Can we embrace arts mega-festival with outsize ambitions? Here are five movers and shakers who will leave a footprint - hopefully a good one - on the city in 2007

VAL ROSS

When Janice Price, 51, was growing up in the suburb of Agincourt, her Scottish immigrant parents' idea of performing arts was party pieces at family get-togethers. Janice's specialty was singing The Northern Lights of Auld Aberdeen. The big theatre highlight for the Agincourt MacDonalds was to go once a year with their four children to the White Heather concert at Massey Hall.

So, Toronto wasn't a city of artistic surprises back then. It is now. And it's about to become even more so this June with Luminato, the arts festival of which Ms. Price is CEO. The 10-day, multi-venue extravaganza will bring together international and Canadian artists to produce an ambitious array of weird synergies, creative collaborations and world premieres.

What happens when you link composer Philip Glass and poet Leonard Cohen? Armenian Canadian filmmaker Atom Egoyan and Turkish video artist Kutlug Ataman? Monty Python and Handel? "The home run, for me," she says, "will be when things happen in Luminato that are genuinely new, that could not have been created or replicated anywhere else."

Ms. Price has the credentials. In university, she landed a summer job at CTV's Toronto station. Within five years, she was the programming director. She moved on to marketing jobs at Roy Thomson Hall, then Stratford, the Hummingbird Centre and New York's Lincoln Center. After becoming interim director of the Lincoln in 2001, Ms. Price left to become CEO of Philadelphia's newly-opened Kimmel Center. The Kimmel's first season produced a deficit of $3.8-million (U.S.). By the time Ms. Price left last year, she'd announced a surplus.

What brought her back to Hogtown? She's a fast-talking optimist, a romantic who fixes you with her wide eyes while spilling out a stream of exciting possibilities. In this she's not unlike financier David Pecaut, the man who dreamed up Luminato along with Tony Gagliano, CEO of St. Joseph Media.

When Mr. Pecaut approached her this past May, she told him she was happy in Philadelphia. But Mr. Pecaut out-Priced Ms. Price, barraging her with visions of what the festival could do for her home town. She'd done arts centres and big-ticket festivals. How about taking arts into the streets . . . art without walls? She couldn't say no.

Since Ms. Price moved back to Hogtown this fall, she has been sprinting with the project's schedule. "We're thrilled so far --she has terrific international connections and can deal directly with people, on a basis of trust, in the global arts producing scene," Mr. Pecaut says. But he cautions that Luminato is far more complex than running the Kimmel or Lincoln Center. "This a tissue of events she's producing . . . the whole city is the festival."

Inflatable horses

Luminato arts fest takes to the air Inflatable horses?
This summer, Toronto will play host to a floating art happening
VAL ROSS

From Monday's Globe and Mail

The Toronto art scene will be in a state of suspends this June -- because Luminato, the ambitious arts festival, plans to turn sites throughout the city into showcases for art that hangs from above.

"It's floating art, an outgrowth of the mobiles of Alexander Calder. But these are not mobiles, these are sites," explained Art Gallery of Ontario director of exhibitions Bruce Ferguson, reached in New York over the weekend. Art is no longer just what's on walls: "There's something in the air," he said. "It's not so much a style of art as an inevitable direction."

And like a good portion of Luminato's programming, the floating art will be free to the public, and will make use not only of traditional performance and exhibition spaces but of the city as a whole.

Toronto-based artist Max Streicher, who has designed weird, haunting inflatable works for sites in Siena, Stockholm and Venice, is fashioning inflatable horses that will float through the vastness of Union Station's Great Hall.

Related to this article
Follow this writer
Add VAL ROSS to my e-mail alerts
Latest Comments
Start a conversation on this story
The great pale arcade designed by architect Santiago Calatrava that towers above the interior of BCE Place has inspired Belgian artist Xavier Veilhan to plan a series of large black orbs, whose motors will cause them to spin delicately through the white spaces.

And for a location still to be finalized, William Forsythe, the Frankfurt Ballet choreographer who organized the closing ceremonies of the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games, is working on a dance of helium balloons.

Accompanied by a soundtrack, these balloons will ascend and, as they gradually lose their air, drift downwards.

All this floating art is expected to be part of the lineup to be announced at a press conference later today by Luminato's CEO, Janice Price, at the Design Exchange. She is also expected to confirm that the Lizt Alfonso Dance Cuba all-woman troupe of dancers will give a world premiere of their work Vida at the Royal Alexandra Theatre (one of Luminato's ticketed events). The New York Times and the Washington Post both used the word "dazzling" to describe this troupe, but the Cubans are currently barred from performing in the U.S.

It's hoped that they will be one more draw the Toronto festival has to offer to international tourists and cultural promoters (Luminato has been aggressively publicizing its ambitions in the United States).

As for funding the 10-day, $10-million festival, Luminato has strong support ($2-million worth) from the province of Ontario. Its organizers say they have had very positive meetings recently with federal finance minister Jim Flaherty. But today's press conference is unlikely to produce any announcement of Ottawa money. However, new private sector sponsors will be named and thanked.

Re: Inflatable horses

I've seen Streicher's giant balloons in Fredericton and in Winnipeg. They are a delight.

A couple of years ago he had a big cloud in the AGO atrium.

He should've designed the Varsity bubble on Bloor; it didn't require foundations, supporting columns, or retaining walls - just someone with a modicum of creative imagination to turn it into a landmark.

Fantastic and exciting stuff! I can't wait!

Luminto looks like a day-time version of Nuit Blanche spread over 10 days.

The Conservatives in Ottawa better cough up their $2 million. I also hope that the festival launches an agressive international promotions strategy and not just focus on the United States alone.

Louroz

The events are out. The line ups look fine.

www.luminato.ca/blog/

- So what happen to that ugly thingy that's located at Queen W. and University Ave.? Guess they are not involved with the event eh? Way to go to be part of Toronto's cultural renaissance!

- So where are the advertising and marketing of this event to the US/Asia/Europe? Oh I forgot. Our tourism is run by a bunch of incompletents. Maybe we will see some ads sometimes in July or Sept to promote the past events.

pitfever:

The National Ballet are already booked to perform in the Four Seasons Centre for most evenings and several matinees during Luminato. That's probably why Roy Thomson Hall has booked most of the top Canadian opera singers that week and - along with the TSO - they will be a stellar part of Luminato. The lineup for their June 8th concert looks fabulous!

Visitors to Luminato will probably still be able to snap up any remaining tickets to the ballet at the FSCPA, and attend the free lunchtime events in the City Room, so both venues will be in use.

Luminato Update

I'm surprised nobody has been posting the updates on this new festival. There has been a flurry of announcements about the new festival over the last couple of days:

2.7 Million Dollar Art Installation Lights Up Harbourfront

Luminato and L'Oréal, Partners in Creativity

Millions in new sponsorship dollars actually pushes the budget for this year’s festival UP from $10 million to $12 million.

New Programs Annouced for 2007 and 2008 Festival

I was skeptical at first about creating a new festival from scratch at a time when Toronto’s other major festivals were struggling for funds. However, those festivals were not forgotten when the provincial government created the “Celebrate Ontario Fund†and major festivals like Pride, the new Comedy Festival, Caribana, the CNE and the Film Festival will be getting millions in new funding this year.

The strategy for the inaugural Luminato appears to be go BIG now or don’t bother competing, which I feel is the right strategy.

My fear was that we were competing against other international cities like Edinburgh, Venice and Sydney with an insignificant regional arts festival. Those fears are put to rest when I’ve been tracking articles on the festival from across the globe and when comparing annual budgets from those established festivals to Toronto and we are spending roughly the same amount in our inaugural year.

On that note, it’s time for Toronto to embrace the festival. Harbourfront is already promoting the festival aggressively, a new website will be launched mid-April, so do ticket sales and if anyone is interested – volunteers are being accepted now.

Louroz

Re: Luminato Update

Thank goodness this thing hasn't degenerated into a glorified Taste of the Danforth. It'll strengthen us, by situating the city on the circuit of festivals that showcase leading international artists and performers, joining the film festival in that regard, with Nuit Blanche later in the year presenting local artists.

The problem about this project is that it lacks advertising. The campaign's not aggressive enough.

STILL NOBODY KNOWS ABOUT IT!

If no Torontonians have heard of it, how do you expect people from outside of Toronto will come in June?

Once again, a failure in terms of attracting tourists. The campaign should have gone out few months ago, when people start planning their summer vacation. But no, I think we will see advertising coming soon maybe in May. Ya, that will bring ALOT of tourists in town eh? Their mindset is so small, so limited, only think of out of towners from Buffalo or Ottawa. Too difficult for them to think something beyond the boarder.

Shame.

Plenty of Torontonians who enjoy theatre, music and visual art have known about it for months, as have people in other countries who travel to such events.

Luminato premieres original, commissioned works and is a newsworthy event that has garnered editorial coverage: BBC news featured Eric Idle's Not The Messiah ( He's A Very Naughty Boy ) within the context of our new festival, for instance - as have online British newspapers such as The Times, and the Philip Glass/Leonard Cohen collaboration has been covered too - to name just a few.

I'm not so sure.

I visit tripadvisor.com website everyday. A site where people ask quesitons about what to do/see in a city when they come visit. In the Toronto forum, NONE has ever heard of it.

yelluwskys:

I’ve been tracking news reports and articles on LuminaTO since it was first announced.

A quick search on Google and Yahoo and you will find dozens of international publications/articles that mention LuminaTO dating back to even last summer.

I’m confident that organizers of the festival have done their international and domestic marketing and are now focused on making headlines with this inaugural edition.

Louroz

Back