Toronto Love Park | 3m | 1s | City of Toronto | CCxA

Presentation from the July WT DRP:

The pond is still there, now edged by ceramic tiled seating. The pavilion as originally envisioned is gone - it is now a trellis structure. The design is still lovely and haven't lost much.

AoD

Personally I find it greatly amusing that Cormier has predicted that Parks Department's ugly bins will inevitably show up, and proposed a decoration scheme for them on page 67.

So is the budget $7 million, $10 million, or $12 million?

Screen Shot 2019-07-26 at 5.00.58 PM.png

Northern Light, you're the expert. Can this really be built for $10 million?

Ty for the compliment, but this exact type of work is a bit outside my area of expertise. (large-scale soil remediation in particular).

FWIW, based on my experience, and what I've seen of costs for other projects; the vast majority of the base elements, subject to how much is being spent on planning/presentations etc. is within the do-able range, albeit without that much wiggle room.

Remediation costs have come down a lot in recent years, but that's still a very large volume of soil to be removed and I'm somewhat skeptical as to fully covering that cost inside the allotted budget.

My gut instinct is 12M and don't make any mistakes or exceed moderate contingencies and your fine.

Anything less requires some very good material sourcing and very tight labour management.

But that's very much guestimating on my part, since I haven't seen the line-item estimates here.

Let me offer this comparison.

Cormier-Designed Berczy Park ran just over 7M on 0.8 acres.

This site is 2.0 acres.

Assuming you simply scaled to size, you'd be at 17.5M

Clearly this design will not have some of the costs associated w/the ceramic dogs, and the water feature, while larger is somewhat simpler to execute.

However, designing it to hold ice all winter, and have heated steps, amongst other features also add some costs back.

You do have some fixed cost irrespective of size as well, so scaling is an oversimplification.

In then end, 12M would be do-able to me, but challenging and the open question on remediation costs.

I'd really struggle to see it come in much cheaper.

2 years for construction to start? I know government (arms length organizations) work at a snail's pace but I'm constantly astonished at how long it takes to get things done. This is a tiny little park. Some people have lawns bigger than this.

2 years for construction to start? I know government (arms length organizations) work at a snail's pace but I'm constantly astonished at how long it takes to get things done. This is a tiny little park. Some people have lawns bigger than this.

Well for one, it's probably not even designed yet so how could construction possibly begin? The competition was for a concept design - now the real work has to happen to bring a full, detailed design together. That includes coordination with various city services/departments which of course is bureaucratic and time consuming. And then tendering/bidding process before any sort of construction can begin.

Back