News   Jul 26, 2024
 133     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 879     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 727     0 

Lost Toronto

And who says we didn't have any historical buildings to begin with? We've destroyed them all!

:D

rather like the wooden pole. Somehow it portends changing times and the coming age. In a pre-First World War streetscape festooned with ornamental pippypoos and doodads that are leftovers - even then - from an earlier time, and interchangeable with those found in most North American or European cities of the day, the plain wooden pole is the only thing that feels like it looks forward in time. Electricity is in the air! The Modern age is almost upon us!

...they also call to mind the profound spirituality of the Haida peoples of the western coastal rainforests, the whole cycle of life and death really.:rolleyes:

In honour of all this lame freezing rain, and super-wintery weather: Blasting ice on the Don River c.1904

s0376_fl0004_it0001.jpg

A tragic loss...

f1257_s1057_it2037.jpg

f1244_it2057.jpg

f1244_it10093.jpg

Click here to see how the rest of King West, Toronto's grandest street, was devastated:

http://www.urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=6602&page=2

ganjavih ... my 1st post here.

The last photo of the Star building shows a pair of big lamps flanking the front entrance.

These are now installed at the Star printing plant in Vaughn.

I remember staring at the lamps when sitting in traffic on a streetcar.

-Moose

... and the metalwork doors you see in the photo of the entrance lobby are now installed at the entrance to an office building on the east side of Bay, just south of Richmond.

... and the metalwork doors you see in the photo of the entrance lobby are now installed at the entrance to an office building on the east side of Bay, just south of Richmond.

Cool, thanks. I'll go hunt for then next time I'm at the Richtree restaurant in BCE Place.

In the last photo of the Star Building, what's the much cuter 10-story, 4-window wide, building? Is that still standing?

Back