News   Apr 24, 2024
 992     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 633     0 

London (Ontario) vehicular terrorist attack

As far as London being a racist capitol, that is complete bunk.

LOL NOPE. That is what is. Oh, sure, somewhere between Peterborough and Ottawa in Randy Hillier territory could give it a run for it's money, but among urban areas it is. Everyone there right now is even coming out and admitting it. You can see confederate flag bumper stickers on cars in London daily. It's a white supremacist capital of Ontario. And it's been tolerated that way for a century, or almost. As I said earlier, it's not new or news. It's like those silly white supremacists in Peel times 100. It's visceral hatred there.

Last edited:
London was basically the birthplace of the Canadian KKK. And Southwestern Ontario had Confederates settle there from the US. Guess some of that has filtered through....

Sounds like distant history until you read stuff like this:

"It’s about pride in your heritage, not hate"

Uh huh.

AoD

LOL NOPE. That is what is. Oh, sure, somewhere between Peterborough and Ottawa in Randy Hillier territory could give it a run for it's money, but among urban areas it is. Everyone there right now is even coming out and admitting it. You can see confederate flag bumper stickers on cars in London daily. It's a white supremacist capital of Ontario. And it's been tolerated that way for a century, or almost. As I said earlier, it's not new or news. It's like those silly white supremacists in Peel times 100. It's visceral hatred there.

While it is important not to exaggerate (that is, to apply the very real issue, with a large minority (white racists in this case) to all or most of London.)..........

You are quite right that this is a known problem in the area.

This was a very high profile incident a while back. (2011)

Then there was this, in 2018:

And this in 2020:

I remember a couple of others too...........

For a community of London's size...........the number certainly seems inordinate.

I swear to god, if the allegations of racism were fabricated, I'm gonna lose my faith in society
The Toronto school board has already decided.

Capture.JPG

I don't believe racism is common. I do think certain people at certain times want to lash out and hurt for no apparent reason. This person was angry and wanted to hurt someone, anyone, and he found this family. I think prejudice is real and crosses all ethnicities, healthy people should challenge themselves first, not last. All the energy taken up with hatred and division could be redirected to exercising your brain to hear and see the opposite of your own surroundings/opinions, you might still disagree but at least you would learn to respect others.

I don't believe racism is common. I do think certain people at certain times want to lash out and hurt for no apparent reason. This person was angry and wanted to hurt someone, anyone, and he found this family. I think prejudice is real and crosses all ethnicities, healthy people should challenge themselves first, not last. All the energy taken up with hatred and division could be redirected to exercising your brain to hear and see the opposite of your own surroundings/opinions, you might still disagree but at least you would learn to respect others.

You sound awfully sure this is some non-targeted attack, followed by comments that vaguely place the onus of reflection on those who actually had to deal with racism (especially violent racism) instead of those who commit them. I mean geez, if only those at say the Quebec mosque attack challenged themselves first.

AoD

Last edited:
Here's the thing about "not common", while the number is open to interpretation, what if it is only 4% of the population, or 1 in 25 people? That percentage alone in a city probably guarantees you a daily interaction with someone who is racist, if not multiple times every day. It's worse in a workplace where you will interact with that person or persons every day.

According to Toronto cops...

Hate crime complaints and arrests in Toronto jumped sharply last year, with Jewish and Black people the most common targets, according to an annual police report released on Thursday. The service called the increase unprecedented.

In all, 210 complaints were reported to police, up from 139 in 2019 — a 51 per cent jump — and well above the average of 152 incidents per year noted over the past decade.

The report from the hate crimes unit says police arrested 41 people, almost twice as many as the 23 suspects taken into custody the previous year.

The Jewish community was the most victimized last year, followed by the Black, LGBTQ and Asian/Chinese communities. While the most common offences related to vandalism and criminal harassment, members of the Asian/Chinese and South Asian/Indian communities were frequently assaulted.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...andemic-toronto-police-report-finds-1.5998703

Racism isn’t always as blunt as “I hate _____ people”. It’s more often subtle and systemic.

Violent racism isn't the only kind, it's just the only kind white people seem to notice, and even then conversations devolve into questioning whether the motives were racially driven like on this thread. Racism is everywhere. Quite literally everyone in western society (including people of colour) has racial biases, wether they know it or not. Once you can learn to recognize racism in everyday life, in design, in everyday conversations, and in policy, you'll find it much easier to believe people are capable of such horrible crimes motivated by racial prejudices.
Maybe mental health is part of the issue afterall:

But "he is not a bad kid" :rolleyes:

AoD
Whenever there are even pretty crimes committed by say a Muslim person, they are portrayed as a religious extremist. Black people are often portrayed as some kind of drug addict thug. As soon as a white person kills 4 Muslims, court documents portray him as “peculiar and challenging.”! Gee what a surprise. Mental illness doesn't equate to white supremacy or Islamophobia,

Back