News   Apr 25, 2024
 57     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

London (Ontario) vehicular terrorist attack

Racism isn’t always as blunt as “I hate _____ people”. It’s more often subtle and systemic.

Yep, overt public racism - particularly by those in positions of power - is now relatively rare because of social opprobrium and ostracization - but even then it isn't exactly hard to find these fringes manifesting themselves (F. Goldy and K. Johnson at GTA area mayoral elections, for example).

AoD

Last edited:
Violent racism isn't the only kind, it's just the only kind white people seem to notice, and even then conversations devolve into questioning whether the motives were racially driven like on this thread. Racism is everywhere. Quite literally everyone in western society (including people of colour) has racial biases, wether they know it or not. Once you can learn to recognize racism in everyday life, in design, in everyday conversations, and in policy, you'll find it much easier to believe people are capable of such horrible crimes motivated by racial prejudices.

Whenever there are even pretty crimes committed by say a Muslim person, they are portrayed as a religious extremist. Black people are often portrayed as some kind of drug addict thug. As soon as a white person kills 4 Muslims, court documents portray him as “peculiar and challenging.”! Gee what a surprise. Mental illness doesn't equate to white supremacy or Islamophobia

The general bar for behaviour is so much higher if you are a POC from certain groups.

AoD

Never heard shoplifting or blowing a stop sign described as jihadist attack.
not necessarily portrayed as a terrorist, but often in news articles and in conversation, their religion or the fact that they are very religious will be mentioned when it makes absolutely no difference to the incident.

Maybe mental health is part of the issue afterall:

But "he is not a bad kid" :rolleyes:

AoD

Taken from the above link

1623340134841.png

and

1623340322380.png

(plus more in the article)

No attempt here to excuse or less culpability or pre-determine what role 'mental illness' played here.......
But that sure as hell sets off alarm bells.

According to Toronto cops...

Hate crime complaints and arrests in Toronto jumped sharply last year, with Jewish and Black people the most common targets, according to an annual police report released on Thursday. The service called the increase unprecedented.

In all, 210 complaints were reported to police, up from 139 in 2019 — a 51 per cent jump — and well above the average of 152 incidents per year noted over the past decade.

The report from the hate crimes unit says police arrested 41 people, almost twice as many as the 23 suspects taken into custody the previous year.

The Jewish community was the most victimized last year, followed by the Black, LGBTQ and Asian/Chinese communities. While the most common offences related to vandalism and criminal harassment, members of the Asian/Chinese and South Asian/Indian communities were frequently assaulted.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...andemic-toronto-police-report-finds-1.5998703
I agree that anti-Black and anti-Asian racism is a sadly growing problem, as seen in the sharp increase in hate crimes against their people. I do wonder, however, why the mainstream isn't talking about all of the anti-semitism. People usually dismiss the existence of such large amounts of anti-semitism or don't understand how big it is. Why is it that Jews are the most targeted people in our city, but we don't see any protests or conversations. We mostly see Jewish people talking about it, and the mainstream ignores it or gives it a passing mention. Is this not incredibly hypocritical? I don't see any Jewish Lives Matter (you get my point) with vocal politicians at their side, and I don't see constant reporting on TV about assaults on religious Jews. The oppression of and hate experienced by Jews continues to be something only Jews genuinely care about, with no allies at their sides. So my question is, why?

I agree that anti-Black and anti-Asian racism is a sadly growing problem, as seen in the sharp increase in hate crimes against their people. I do wonder, however, why the mainstream isn't talking about all of the anti-semitism. People usually dismiss the existence of such large amounts of anti-semitism or don't understand how big it is. Why is it that Jews are the most targeted people in our city, but we don't see any protests or conversations. We mostly see Jewish people talking about it, and the mainstream ignores it or gives it a passing mention. Is this not incredibly hypocritical? I don't see any Jewish Lives Matter (you get my point) with vocal politicians at their side, and I don't see constant reporting on TV about assaults on religious Jews. The oppression of and hate experienced by Jews continues to be something only Jews genuinely care about, with no allies at their sides. So my question is, why?

I think there are some differences in the nature of the issue, especially in relation to how communities are being treated by the authorities (which is what the protests were about). Anti-Asian racism rarely gets air-time for the same reason - until the recent uptick due to COVID.

This is not an excuse for not talking about anti-Semitism of course; and fundamentally there is a significant overlap between that and racism against other communities.

AoD

Last edited:
That's great. But still, there is no actual movement (there is, but it's not very big) to protest against anti-Semitism.
I think there are some differences in the nature of the issue, especially in relation to how communities are being treated by the authorities (which is what the protests were about). Anti-Asian racism rarely gets air-time for the same reason - until the recent uptick due to COVID.

This is not an excuse for not talking about anti-Semitism of course; and fundamentally there is a significant overlap between that and racism against other communities.

AoD
I agree, it's different. Black people experience racism from the authorities, and from people. Jews are mostly subjected to random attacks, and most of the affected Jews are visibly religious... because it's often hard to identify a Jew without religious clothing.

I agree that anti-Black and anti-Asian racism is a sadly growing problem, as seen in the sharp increase in hate crimes against their people. I do wonder, however, why the mainstream isn't talking about all of the anti-semitism. People usually dismiss the existence of such large amounts of anti-semitism or don't understand how big it is. Why is it that Jews are the most targeted people in our city.....
I'm not dismissing it, but is it true that Jews are the most targeted people in Toronto? How is that verified?

I'm not dismissing it, but is it true that Jews are the most targeted people in Toronto? How is that verified?

I would not be surprised - in terms of credible threats to Jewish orgs for one. The hate crime stats also have Jews being the most targeted group for the last few years as well I believe.

And really, when we have a bona fide Toronto mayoral candidate blantantly cozying to, if not engaging in coded Anti-Semitic messaging (14 words) on air...

AoD

Last edited:

Back