2.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 851     0 

London (Ontario) Snaps, Part II

D

Darkstar416

It took me eight long days to get back into the spirit of posting pictures about London, Ontario, but here's the remainder of our little trip (as continued from Part I).

This St. Jamestown-esque collection of buildings is called the Colborne Centre Apartments and they were completed in 1987 (although I think they look a tad older).
DSCN0418.jpg

This Hamilton-esque building is named London Towers North.
DSCN0419.jpg

This newish project -- The City Place Apartments -- wouldn't be acceptable for downtown T.O., but seems alright enough for downtown London. The massing of the towers is o.k., but the podium is a little squat..and bland. Also note the lack of retail tenants and the fact that the two-storey storefronts are actually disguised above-ground parking (on the second floor).
DSCN0420.jpg

Easily one of the finest London has to offer. The original TD Building (which still houses a TD Canada Trust branch).
DSCN0421.jpg

Fancy signs are great, but the frequency is anything but.
DSCN0448.jpg

We then headed north to the University of Western Ontario for a quick walk-around. Nothing much has changed from my last visit save for a few new buildings that are made to look (or at least mimic) some of the older buildings. I only took pictures of the original buildings.
DSCN0422.jpg

Western is definitely beautiful, but the lack of variety doesn't offer much to urbanists nor architecture aficionados. We also couldn't help but wish that Western was a little closer and more integrated into the downtown.
DSCN0424.jpg

We were going to check-out more of the campus, but this sign had us reconsider.
DSCN0425.jpg

Back downtown we finally find something interesting in this town. London City Hall! Yes, we're serious.
DSCN0439.jpg

The building was completed in 1971.
DSCN0447.jpg

We found the City Hall to be well built out of a nice choice of materials and of a unique late modernist design.
DSCN0426.jpg

Amazingly, it is near impossible to find any info about this building. There's nothing of note on Emporis, the City's website, Wikipedia or even via Google.
DSCN0431.jpg

Perpendicular to City Hall (and also flanking the public square) is a rental building whose best days are long behind it. It is pretty cool though in a Birmingham-esque way and adds for a touch of gritty modernism. Note the cheap new concrete sidewalk doesn't align with the original tiles, nor the building's overhang.
DSCN0432.jpg

In a desperate attempt to get more info on City Hall, I e-mailed the London Mayor's Office and amazingly got a response saying they weren't sure about the architect or history of the building, but that there should be plenty of information if I go to the Central Library and speak to one of the librarians in the "London Room." Unbelievable!
DSCN0433.jpg

I get the sense London has no love for its City Hall and may be plotting something new in the not-so-distant future.
DSCN0434.jpg

Miesian-type stairs.
DSCN0436.jpg

Cool tiles and grate.
DSCN0437.jpg

Nice gentle curve.
DSCN0440.jpg

Curvature meets linear.
DSCN0441.jpg

Desolate public squares make for bad urbanity, but great picture taking opportunities!
DSCN0442.jpg

The square was completely empty for the hour we spent there (not even skateboarders) and isn't in the best of shape. I don't think it's even programmed for the summer, but I could be wrong.
DSCN0443.jpg

Flanking the other side of the square is Centennial Hall which was likely a 1967 centennial project for the city and is a multi-purpose facility offering space for concerts, dances, banquets, meetings, etc. It's also home to one of the world's worst web sites.
DSCN0444.jpg

One final shot of City Hall...and of London.
DSCN0446.jpg

Hope you enjoyed...sort of.

Re: London, Ontario (Snaps), Part II

Thanks for the images. The London city hall reminds me a little of the previous city hall of Ottawa on Sussex Drive. The Ottawa building is in the international style, was built in 1958 and designed by Rother, Bland and Trudeau. There is an addition by Moshe Safdie. I believe Foreign Affairs now uses the building.

Too bad the London building has been allowed to become so rundown.

I wrote the Mayor's Office back saying it was pretty ridiculous that they didn't know anything about their own City Hall and that it should at least be featured on the City's website somewhere. Anyway, I just got back the following response from London's Office of Corporate Communications:

===================================
Sorry, you were unable to find the information you were seeking … but your suggestion of having some information about the City Hall building on our website is an excellent one. Thank you.

It is going to take a bit of time sorting through archive files before something can be written for www.london.ca. Meanwhile hope the following is of some help:

The architects were Philip Carter Johnson and Patrick J. Coles and the contractor was Ellis-Don Limited. A 12-storey structure, City Hall was designed as a symbolic concept and consists on two interlocking buildings. A document from the year of its opening – 1971 – notes the following:

The base is a black granite oval-shaped section which represents the elected people. The northerly projection, overlooking the civic square houses the two-storey Council Chambers, while the southerly projection suspended over the main entrance, houses the Mayor’s Office on the second floor and the Clerk’s Office on the third floor.

The curving white administrative tower represents the administrators and other staff whom it houses.

Philippa Crawley
Corporate Communications
===================================

Thanks for the nice pics! I've wondered for a while what London looks like... whether it has got that 'big city vibe'. Up til now, I get the impression that it hasn't got that.
And cool of them to email you that info and to even update their website with some architectural info. It's rediculous though, that it wasn't anywhere to be found before you asked them!

Has the city hall gone through any restorations recently? The building itself looks pretty good for 1971... new windows maybe?

Good pictures again. Thanks for posting them. I agree with your impression of the Western campus (quite nice-looking, but bland, all in one style), although I admit I haven't seen it for about 5 years now and I think there are a couple of new buildings.

Some people in London, as in Toronto, need to start demanding better of the architecture and the public spaces. The city is "OK" but could be so much better if they demanded better.

They haven't made the best use of the Thames River, IMHO. This is their equivalent of the Toronto waterfront, and as in Toronto, there are a couple of nice spots and a good deal of wasted potential.

Re: Demanding better architecture in smaller towns. I guess it has to start somewhere, but the voices would be so...lonely. Thinking of Windsor, i feel overwhelmed when i'm there because it would be a feat just to start a public conversation about this stuff, let alone get something done.

That said, i moved away...i quit my hometown for the big city, so i should be quiet.

--

My friend's X-GF lives in the building attached to city hall. he has to go there a lot to drop off the dog, as they have joint custody of it. Poor Flash, but she gets to live attached to City Hall for months on end.

Has the city hall gone through any restorations recently? The building itself looks pretty good for 1971... new windows maybe?
I have no idea, but I think it likely has as it looks quite good for its age. I doubt anything has been done on the square though.

Great pics, esp. around city hall. Thanks!

Back