News   Apr 26, 2024
 118     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 413     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.2K     4 

Loblaws Redevelopment (10 Lower Jarvis Street, Choice Properties REIT, ?s, ?)

I'd think something like a 'loblaws' independent market would be included in one of these developments, no need to worry about not having groceries in proximity.

The existing store has a footprint of ~60,000ft2 which is really large for a high-value site.

Typically, downtown grocers are on footprints less than 1/2 that size.

If you look at the existing site area; the area not occupied by the current building, at the north end, would easily allow a ~45,000ft2 site, while the existing store stands, and would not be in the way of a Harbour Street extension.

That's not the only option, but I merely point out, there's ample room for phased redevelopment including retail.

Last edited:
The existing store has a footprint of ~60,000ft2 which is really large for a high-value site.

Typically, downtown grocers are on a footprints less than 1/2 that size.

If you look at the existing site area; the area not occupied by the current building, at the north end, would easily allow a ~45,000ft2 site, while the existing store stands, and would not be in the way of a Harbour Street extension.

That's not the only option, but I merely point out, there's ample room for phased redevelopment including retail.
Given the plan for a phased approach they've proposed at Dundas West in order to ensure the area never loses having a Loblaws, this feels like the most likely option here as well.

I think it was brought up in another thread of recent to which I cannot recall which one, that indicated they are no longer interested in developing this sight. Something about making too much money off of it as is...

...anywhoose, if anyone out ther can look up that themselves, to least correct me on this, feel free to do so. And sorry if I wasn't paying too much to the thread in question to recall it properly. :(

They just finished renovating the store from top to bottom. It would be surprising to see it get redeveloped so soon after a complete overhaul of the interior.

They just finished renovating the store from top to bottom. It would be surprising to see it get redeveloped so soon after a complete overhaul of the interior.
I do not think anyone sees (or saw) this site being redeveloped in next 4-5 years but I bet it WILL be re-developed within a decade, possibly in two phases so the store can keep on operating.

They usually renovate the Loblaws stores at around a 7 year lifecycle. So that could possibly be a timeline to think of. Would definitely give the ret of the area time to build out and build a replacement store in the area buildings as well before this one gets demolished. (I used to work on Loblaws store renovations).

Back