News   Apr 25, 2024
 286     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Liberty Village

Sure, streets like Ossington, Gerrard, etc are 40 km zones with parking on both sides, but the demographics and overall makeup of those neighbourhoods are quite different from East Liberty. When you enter Liberty Village off of Strachan on East Liberty, it is strictly a residential area of the Village. Tall condo buildings on the south side, townhouses on the right side, and then more condos on the north side the further you get. There is no commerce in this area, it's strictly residential. You don't hit the commercial area until you're down the hill between the Liberty Market Building on the south and Metro, et al, on the north.

The other major difference in my opinion is that other 40k streets in the City have many other streets running perpendicular to them. While they may be minor streets, there's still an option to exit/enter from more than one street. And most of the surrounding side streets simply don't have the density that East Liberty does. East Liberty is the only easterly exit from the Village given the Village is locked in from the train tracks in the north, and tracks in the south. There are simply no other options to get in or out. Same goes for the west side of the Village at Dufferin. If indeed there were additional east-west streets allowing entrance/exit from the Village, then I think the situation would be very different, and the sheer volume of traffic on East Liberty would be reduced.

I know that there is a proposal into the city to create a new east-west street in Liberty Village to help with traffic flow. It's meant to be built along the south side of the Village running parallel to the train tracks. When I walk to the end of all of the north-south roads in the Village it's not clear to me where exactly the City will get the land to build this road, but the idea is appealing. There was recently an open house to review the details of this proposal however I wasn't able to attend. Does anyone else have any further information on this development?

If indeed the City will not put in a stop light at this intersection until 2015 due to the MetroLinx work going on, I do wonder why there isn't a single pedestrian crossing on the east side of the Village. In addition to a lack of pedestrian crossings, standard road markings should be made asap along East Liberty: yellow middle line, white lines/pedestrian crossings at stop signs, a line which would create a left and right turn lane at the East Liberty/Strachan intersection when exiting the Village, and proper signage showing where cars can and cannot park. Most importantly for pedestrians and cyclists, at least 2 pedestrian crossings on Strachan between King and Fleet Street. I believe all of these actions would help the situation, but I haven't heard about any plans as of yet to improve the overall safety.

King West tower

Does anybody know the history / status / future of this tower on King West by the rail overpass?

King%20West%20tower%20%28Medium%29.jpg

Is this definitely not still in use? There is a functioning railroad there...I've seen others around town too.

I went to that proposal meeting this evening for the new road in LV. This is going to be a LONG process. I wouldn't expect it to be done anytime in the next 5 years if ever.

The real good news I found out is all of the other improvements being done now. They are beginning construction of the temporary Go track overpass on Strachan. Once that is done, they are going to start lowering the Tracks down below grade and build the permanent overpass. Once the overpass is complete, they are going to put in that traffic light at East Liberty St and Strachan that everyone has been waiting for. At the same time when all this is complete, they are also going to be putting in a pedestrian bridge at Douro street. There was a lot of talk of having the Shaw street pedestrian bridge but it's actually at Douro street.

I was told that the overpass is expected to have a 2014 completion.

when all this is complete, they are also going to be putting in a pedestrian bridge at Douro street. There was a lot of talk of having the Shaw street pedestrian bridge but it's actually at Douro street.

Wow..3 more years of construction and no traffic light at East Liberty St and Strachan, its going to be total traffic chaos with events happening at Exhibition Place and also when people start moving into the many new buildings being completed...Crazy:eek:
Regarding the pedestrian bridge, its most likely to be at the Douro and Shaw street intersection. .

Regarding the pedestrian bridge, its most likely to be at the Douro and Shaw street intersection. .

That's been happening in the last 10 years.... How much can this bridge possibly cost, considering the amount of development that has happened, you would think there is more than enough money through the section 37 fund to build this bridge... Me thinks it's being routed to a slush fund for local politians and the like...

That's been happening in the last 10 years.... How much can this bridge possibly cost, considering the amount of development that has happened, you would think there is more than enough money through the section 37 fund to build this bridge... Me thinks it's being routed to a slush fund for local politians and the like...

They said that the bridge couldn't be built until they lowered the tracks. That's why they haven't started it. Of course, it could all be one big lie that we will never know the truth about. But it did seem like a logical sequence of events to me!

Back