News   May 02, 2024
 596     1 
News   May 02, 2024
 202     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 261     0 

Lesbians with Dogs Looking to Move to Toronto

I'm pretty late coming to this discussion, but a couple of random thoughts:

I like the idea of renting rather than buying, at first, as you can check various neighbourhoods before making the big commitment of buying. You will find Toronto real estate prices high by comparison to Florida, especially now.

The most important advice I can think of: Assuming that one or both of you will be working, get your jobs in place first, then your permanent residential arrangements. In my conversations with newcomers to Toronto, the theme I hear repeatedly is surprise at how long it takes to commute, so the obvious thing is to minimize that by living reasonably close to your job(s).

Check restrictions on pets before renting. Some places (condominiums) limit the size of dogs, and a few do ban them outright.

Just wondering if you have any experience living in a snowy winter. Not meant to be sarcastic, but it's an adjustment.

I would poke my eyes out before living in St. James Town as someone has suggested. On the other hand some neighbourhoods in close proximity are nice.

I agree with the suggestion that High Park would be a nice area, especially for dog lovers. The off-leash area in the park is well known as a place to socialize for dog owners.

Sorry, already have a pair of lesbians with dogs in Toronto. Try Mississauga.

The comment is humourous / cynical, referring to the tendency of some Toronto residents (including several on this forum) to look down on Mississauga and to miss its obvious appeal :D The reference may go over the heads of those from outside the area.

Best wishes.

I'm also late to the conversation, but I'll second (or third, or fourth) the Leslieville suggestion. Lots of lesbians, more so than Church/Wellesley, lots of great little shops and restaurants, houses with yards instead of highrises and pavement.

But almost anywhere in Toronto would be more gay friendly than Florida, from what I've heard anyway.

I don't know if you are looking to rent or buy. In terms of Leslieville and High Park and buying, these areas are not cheap (by Toronto standards) to purchase in. Of the two, being a Lesbian with a dog myself, I would choose Leslieville.
Most of the rentals in Leslieville will be flats in houses because there are very few apartment buildings in the area (comparatively speaking).
I'm a real estate agent in Toronto and I take my dog with me to go look at open houses, etc. all over the city. Before I go I decide what off leash are my little fur ball is going to visit during our travels. Hence, we've visited many dog areas in this city.
Toronto is a very green city and therefore there are lots of places to take her. Personally, I live in Cedarvale (Bathurst/St. Clair) and I take her mostly to Cedarvale Park, where a large number of fellow dog owners go. People are friendly there and many people drive out of their way to bring fido to this place. It has an off-leash area.
I don't know if you know but you could contact a real estate agent to help you buy or rent. The seller or landlord pay us, not you.
Of the many comments here: toronto is a pretty gay friendly place so I would concentrate more on the following:
- where will you work
- will you drive or rely on public transit
- what can you afford to pay
- apart from being gay what lifestyle do you want (outdoorsy, eat out alot, stay home and cuddle, etc.)
Good luck.

I don't know if you are looking to rent or buy. In terms of Leslieville and High Park and buying, these areas are not cheap (by Toronto standards) to purchase in. Of the two, being a Lesbian with a dog myself, I would choose Leslieville.
Most of the rentals in Leslieville will be flats in houses because there are very few apartment buildings in the area (comparatively speaking).
I'm a real estate agent in Toronto and I take my dog with me to go look at open houses, etc. all over the city. Before I go I decide what off leash are my little fur ball is going to visit during our travels. Hence, we've visited many dog areas in this city.
Toronto is a very green city and therefore there are lots of places to take her. Personally, I live in Cedarvale (Bathurst/St. Clair) and I take her mostly to Cedarvale Park, where a large number of fellow dog owners go. People are friendly there and many people drive out of their way to bring fido to this place. It has an off-leash area.
I don't know if you know but you could contact a real estate agent to help you buy or rent. The seller or landlord pay us, not you.
Of the many comments here: toronto is a pretty gay friendly place so I would concentrate more on the following:
- where will you work
- will you drive or rely on public transit
- what can you afford to pay
- apart from being gay what lifestyle do you want (outdoorsy, eat out alot, stay home and cuddle, etc.)
Good luck.

At least for the first year I think we'd like to rent. I would definitely go through a realtor in renting being that my father is one and I am going through the licensing program myself :) Speaking of real estate do you know what I would have to do to transfer my licensing and etc? I would imagine I would need to have that finished before I apply for a position up there? As for Leslieville, do many of the rentals there have fenced backyards? And for transit I would really prefer walking distant type areas just because we lack that here in Daytona. Outside of being around a friendly gay lifestyle we're looking to be around it all. We're really active in outdoorsy stuff, but I imagine that will change quite drastically between Daytona and Toronto, lol. But going out to eat, shops, book stores, walking distance to community activities, etc sound ideal. We are currently stuck in suburbia and are looking for quite the opposite really when it comes to class.. lol. Thank you so much for the help!

Transferring Real Estate

I'm not sure how licensing works in Daytona but I will call OREA on Monday and find out what is involved in a transfer. I'll get back to you tomorrow with that. Sounds like Leslieville would be ideal for you. Many of the rentals do have yards.
Some, of course, won't take a dog (can't imagine this myself - no taste I guess). Many neighbourhoods in Toronto are gay friendly and alot of neighbourhoods are situated such that you can walk to cafes, restaurants, etc.
I'll write again tomorrow. Buy long underwear for the move!

I'm not sure how licensing works in Daytona but I will call OREA on Monday and find out what is involved in a transfer. I'll get back to you tomorrow with that. Sounds like Leslieville would be ideal for you. Many of the rentals do have yards.
Some, of course, won't take a dog (can't imagine this myself - no taste I guess). Many neighbourhoods in Toronto are gay friendly and alot of neighbourhoods are situated such that you can walk to cafes, restaurants, etc.
I'll write again tomorrow. Buy long underwear for the move!

That is so kind of you! Thank you!

Riverdale is crawling with homosexuals, but we can always fit in a few more if you want to join us - we're up a bit and slightly to the left of Leslieville. There are two nice big parks and the doggie crowd are out in force at all hours.

Riverdale is also nice

Yes, Riverdale is also good (and closer to the subway).
As to real estate, if you are registered as a real estate agent elsewhere, you need to take the Challenge Program. If you are not yet registered you will probably have to take all of the courses. Apparently you need to talk to the Registrar. That phone number is 1-800-245-6910. If you want a more private conversation about all of this, email me at mipowell@trebnet.com.
OREA runs real estate courses here. There tel. number is 1-800-265-6732
and their website is www.orea.com. This website will tell you about courses, costs, schedules, etc.
Hope this info helps.

Back