News   Apr 19, 2024
 618     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

Legacy Art Project - Inspired by Terry Fox

reteequa

Member Bio
Reaction score
Couldn't find anything in my quick search but there's a little Reno coming to half the open space in the Toronto Music garden on the water.

It will be on the north side so will still leave some open space. Not sure how much the area is used but not too much lawn space around so hopefully not too much of a loss.

Looking forward to having a Terry Fox memorial right downtown. Considering how inspirational he was to all Canadians

Haven't heard of any other memorials in the city.

It is an incredible experience going to the Terry Fox memorial in Thunder Bay. Brings back a lotto memories from when I was younger as my family is from Tbay. Hopefully this will be just as good.

Most recent doc from WT here

Was mentioned on the Waterfront BIA's twitter today, that's how I found out about it.

Done by Jon Sasaki and DTAH

Jon Sasaki has done some interesting stuff including this installation at the Bentway

1631646100874.png

From here

1631646173149.png

From project site

Couldn't find anything in my quick search but there's a little Reno coming to half the open space in the Toronto Music garden on the water.

It will be on the north side so will still leave some open space. Not sure how much the area is used but not too much lawn space around so hopefully not too much of a loss.

Looking forward to having a Terry Fox memorial right downtown. Considering how inspirational he was to all Canadians

It is an incredible experience going to the Terry Fox memorial in Thunder Bay. Brings back a lotto memories from when I was younger as my family is from Tbay. Hopefully this will be just as good.

Most recent doc from WT here

Was mentioned on the Waterfront BIA's twitter today, that's how I found out about it.

Done by Jon Sasaki and DTAH

Jon Sasaki has done some interesting stuff including this installation at the Bentway

View attachment 348922

From here

View attachment 348923

From project site

IT appears to be sited to the east of the Music Garden and to the west of the Spadina Wetlands.

So long as it isn't disturbing The Music Garden, which it doesn't appear to be, then I'm fine with it.

Though, at first blush, the render leaves me a bit underwhelmed.

Its a relatively small parcel for this too. Ah well.

Last edited:

There's the "Terry Fox Miracle Mile", which loops around Canoe Landing park in Cityplace (two loops = one mile). There's ten lightboxes along the route that have photos of meaningful objects/people/moments from the Marathon of Hope (his arrival in Toronto, one of his worn-through socks, the amount of food he'd eat in a typical day, his daily mileage log, the champagne bottle he never got to open, Terry himself, etc). It's not dramatic, but it's contemplative and I've always liked the idea that it incorporates a distance you have to cover.

Official Opening:

Legacy Art Project Official Opening Event​

On October 5, the Legacy Art Project commemorating the legacy of Canadian athlete, humanitarian and activist Terry Fox will open. The partially citizen-funded park opens in partnership with the City of Toronto, the Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario (FedDev Ontario), Legacy Art Project Toronto and the Waterfront Business Improvement Area.

Please check back here for additional details closer to the event.

Read more about the Legacy Art Project in this interview with Craig Jarvis, president of The Legacy Art Project Toronto

From: https://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/events/legacy-art-project-official-opening-event

See more at: https://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/news/legacy-art-project-honouring-terry-fox-aims-to-inspire-visitors

Back