News   Aug 09, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 785     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 3.5K     3 

Leaside Bridge

1100 people per set is the TTC's standards rating. If trains average beyond that number, than the TTC adds another train.

Correct 1100 is what TTC gets in practice in Toronto before people decide to wait for the next train. If you can't convince the person to squeeze in, you've hit your upper limit.

Capacity is highly dependent on culture. Toronto trains at capacity would be considered spacious in Japan.

A single manufacturer number doesn't cut it. The amount of stuff people decide to bring with them (heavy winter coats, backpacks, briefcases, etc.) also makes a big difference and can be location dependent.

Next time someone takes the next elevator because the current one is full, count the number of heads and look at the maximum capacity posted on the wall. I often see people skipping it at between 8 and 10 heads when the posted capacity is closer to 20.

Last edited:
Correct 1100 is what TTC gets in practice in Toronto before people decide to wait for the next train. If you can't convince the person to squeeze in, you've hit your upper limit.

Capacity is highly dependent on culture. Toronto trains at capacity would be considered spacious in Japan.

A single manufacturer number doesn't cut it. The amount of stuff people decide to bring with them (heavy winter coats, backpacks, briefcases, etc.) also makes a big difference and can be location dependent.

Next time someone takes the next elevator because the current one is full, count the number of heads and look at the maximum capacity posted on the wall. I often see people skipping it at between 8 and 10 heads when the posted capacity is closer to 20.

Although I agree that capacity depends on culture, I think the culture of Montreal and Vancouver is about as close as you can get to Toronto. Comparing Tokyo or Korea numbers would not be realistic, but there is no reason that numbers for capacity from the rest of Canada should not be applicable here.

Although I agree that capacity depends on culture, I think the culture of Montreal and Vancouver is about as close as you can get to Toronto.

Probably.

Translink is claiming a customer density of about 2.7 passengers per square meter is achievable on the Canada Line. This includes the full train length (couplers, etc.). Floorspace is measured to the outer dimensions and divided into the 167 per car.

TTC achieves about 2.55 per square meter on Toronto Rockets with open gangways, 2 cabs per train, etc. Floorspace was measured to the outer dimensions and divided into the 1100 per train peak capacity figure.

This makes a 10% capacity difference (adjusting for train internal designs) for the same equipment between the two different cities; or Translink's numbers are optomistic rather than actual.

10% is 3000 pphpd on the Yonge line, so a fairly sizable number.

This makes a 5% capacity difference (adjusting for train internal designs) for the same equipment between the two different cities; or Translink's numbers are optomistic rather than actual; or TTC numbers are pessimistic and they actually achieve higher.

5% is fairly sizable; 1,500 pphpd on the Yonge line.

Of course the TTC's numbers are pessimistic - they are simply planning numbers and have no bearing on the actual carrying capacity of the train.

Once again, the actual maximum capacity of a 6-car TTC subway train is north of 1800 people. That is the direct comparison with Translink's 167 passengers per car.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Of course the TTC's numbers are pessimistic - they are simply planning numbers and have no bearing on the actual carrying capacity of the train.

Once again, the actual maximum capacity of a 6-car TTC subway train is north of 1800 people. That is the direct comparison with Translink's 167 passengers per car.

So your saying the Yonge line has a current peak capacity of 46,000 pphpd?

So your saying the Yonge line has a current peak capacity of 46,000 pphpd?

If everything works as it should, yes.

The problem is that when you get into the territory of 1800 per train, station stops take longer as it is harder for people to get on and off each train, and thus you shove fewer trains through the tunnels. So that number is nice but not realistic over the long run.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Last edited:

Back