L Tower Condos (Cityzen, Castlepoint Realty, Fernbrook Homes) - Real Estate -

My unit is affected by the crane and the closing date is in a week. The developer promised to phone us about the PDI day, but she never got back to us. Is PDI necessary? Do we need to point out all the deficiencies of the unit on PDI or closing day? How do we contact tarion? Clueless first time condo buyer here.

Oh yes it is necessary. You better make sure you go to that pdi and record every deficiency..it's your best chance to get things dealt with.

My unit is affected by the crane and the closing date is in a week. The developer promised to phone us about the PDI day, but she never got back to us. Is PDI necessary? Do we need to point out all the deficiencies of the unit on PDI or closing day? How do we contact tarion? Clueless first time condo buyer here.
Oh yes it is necessary. You better make sure you go to that pdi and record every deficiency..it's your best chance to get things dealt with.
But you also have the chance to add deficiencies when you submit your 30 day form (online) to Tarion with a copy to the builder.

But you also have the chance to add deficiencies when you submit your 30 day form (online) to Tarion with a copy to the builder.

You do but it's even harder to get them to make the changes. Getting a builder to make changes that aren't included in the 30 day form after the fact can be very difficult. Basically, go to the PDI.

Welcome to the neighbourhood L-Tower. And thank you for making the roof of the Sony Centre your personal ashtray. As you can see from the attached pictures, L-Tower tennants have no issues throwing cigarettes, lighters and other trash off their balconies and onto the roof.

Not only is this a fire hazard and illegal; it's disgusting. If you actually live in this building and live on the east elevation, you might say something to the current building management (if there is any). Those lit cigarettes and other trash stand just as much of a chance blowing back onto your balconies as they do ending up on the roof of the Sony Centre. And this trash reflects very poorly on the building, it's reputation, and likely future resale values. Speak up and be good neighbours.

IMG_3393.JPG IMG_3396.JPG
IMG_3393.JPG
IMG_3396.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3393.JPG
    IMG_3393.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 658
  • IMG_3396.JPG
    IMG_3396.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 669
Unfortunately I think this happens pretty much everywhere. I know it's a problem at my condo - it subsides when notices gets posted, but then it comes back, notices are posted again, rinse and repeat.

It gets worse in the spring, slackens off in the winter when it's too cold to smoke outside, but yes, it's an issue in many condos all over the city. Fires have been started because of it.

I posted these images specifically to encourage L-Tower residents to take charge of this issue. I am certain it happens in condos with balconies all over the city - but that doesn't mean we have to accept it. In this case, "...just let the Sony Centre clean up the mess - what's the big deal?"

I have watched lit cigarettes tossed of balconies at the L. Lit cigarettes.

So to all current residents: If you don't mind someone throwing lit material and garbage into your home, then enjoy the mess, but you might want to keep a fire extinguisher handy when it blows back into your unit.

If you DO mind - say something, and DO something about it.

Better is always possible - isn't that what our new PM said?

I don't think that would fly. The corporation isn't responsible for idiot owners, tenants and their guests tossing cigarette butts. Most condo corps pull their hair out over this issue and despite numerous communications about it, some people continue to think tossing a butt is no big deal. One condo in City Place went so far as to install signage on all balconies, which really ticked off owners, but it did nothing to solve the problem.

The corporation isn't responsible for idiot owners, tenants and their guests tossing cigarette butts.

Why not? That's who a lawyer would likely sue, if not the condo corp and all of the unit owners facing east.

I am being somewhat facetious. I get that this is difficult to control. But if this adds to the Sony Centre's costs, it would be great to see them to take action.

Last edited:
How is the corporation responsible? If they have taken reasonable measures to stop it from happening including covering it in their rules, sending out communications about it? Condo corps have no authority to fine owners for doing this type of thing, so their ability to control it is limited.

As a condo board director, this is one of those problems that drives us nuts because it is so difficult to enforce. How do you identify whose butts they are short of requiring all owners and guests to provide DNA samples? (which would be totally unenforceable).

This is one of those situations where the few ruin it for the many!

Personally, I'd love to see smoking banned in condos altogether -- I think BC has done this.

I'm assuming that the balconies are exclusive use common elements, in which case the condo corp would be liable under s. 26 of the Act. Maybe I shouldn't be making that assumption about the balconies. As for the condo corp's duty of care, as long as Sony Centre is incurring significant costs (who knows if they are) then the corp arguably hasn't met it. This is how litigation starts.

Again, I am being a bit flippant. I can only imagine this is frustrating for condos. In some circumstances, video cameras might work, I suppose.

Yes, Ontario should at least ban smoking on condominium and apartment balconies, and then give boards and landlords the means to enforce these rules.

Balconies are usually exclusive use common elements. I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on tv, but I would think an argument can be made that wording of s. 26 is vague in that it says "common elements" but does that apply to all common elements or only to those that aren't exclusive use? For example, the corporation is responsible for cleaning the common elements, but owners are responsible for cleaning exclusive use common elements. And what if an owners stands inside his/her own unit and flips the butt out of the window? Then the balcony doesn't come into play at all. And how would you identify just where the butts came from, apart from the general "east side of the building"?

Back