News   Oct 02, 2024
 302     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 637     0 

Koolhaas/OMA at Louisville, KY

A

AlvinofDiaspar

From Architectural Record:

archrecord.construction.c...217oma.asp (2 renderings)

OMA Designing Stacked Towers in Louisville

February 17, 2006

At sixty-one stories, the multi-part Museum Plaza tower in Louisville will be the tallest building in Kentucky and one of the tallest in the region. The Office for Metropolitan Architecture’s (OMA) New York studio is designing the building, which was unveiled on February 9. And, though it reaches more than 100 feet higher than Johnson/Burgee’s Aegon Tower nearby, the structure is more like a series of small buildings stacked on top of each other than a monolithic tower. “We’ve been interested in the question, ‘Can something be both a credible whole and a series of parts?’†says Joshua Prince-Ramus, OMA’s lead designer on the project.

The mixed-use, 1.2 million-square-foot structure includes 300,000 square feet of office space, a 300-room hotel, 85 luxury condominiums, and 150 lofts. A contemporary art museum will be located twenty-two stories in the air, in a common space the architects are calling “the Island.†The Island will serve as a sky lobby for the office building and condos. It will contain conference space, a gym, bar, and other components. An angled, glass-tube elevator will carry visitors from West Main Street up to the Island. Artists and curators will program the museum spaces, and the communal spaces as well.

While the building’s form may be unorthodox, it reflects careful consideration of the difficult site conditions. “We’re reconfiguring known parts, not inventing typologies," says Prince-Ramus.

The building will be sandwiched between Interstate 64 along the Ohio River and the historic district of West Main Street. Downtown Louisville lacks much density, so the architects sought to maximize the program on the small site. The project’s diverse commercial components will pay for the cultural components. The new Muhammad Ali Center, designed by Beyer Blinder Belle, will be immediately east of the OMA building, and will share an elevated plaza, as will the Frazier Historical Arms Museum, the Louisville Science Center and the Kentucky Museum of Art and Craft.

Philanthropists Steve Wilson and Laura Lee Brown (Brown’s family controls the Brown-Forman liquor company), developer Steve Poe, and attorney Craig Greenburg are developing the $380 million project. The city and state are expected to contribute $75 million for site work, including relocation of the floodwall and realignment of a block of Seventh Street. The developers expect to complete the project by 2010.

CCTV (Beijing) Lite. Honestly, however, I wonder if this would even get built...

AoD

This rendering sort of reminds me of the late twin towers (at least the top half)...

060217oma1.jpg

Yes, it reminds me of WTC (not the new CCTV, though... and it's a nice, bold design) , and I don't like it. It reminds me of those big "city in the sky" projects that pop up in Japan once in a while (or the arcologies in Sim City 2000)... big massive buildings that have massive shock and awe value but lack aesthetic value or urban design.

I can actually say that I am grateful that this is in a city I don't plan to visit.

Ooooh, lovely! Trellick Tower mates with the TD Centre and begats a brooding, mutant step sister to OCAD.

This is what Bay Adelaide should've been. A big bold, brutalist architectural ... rantipole ... on a hungry hunka hunka site in the heart of old T.O. Instead we got polite, mealy-mouthed, space-filling windbaggery.

BB: This masturbatory pandiculation-as-architecture would be embrangled for years in the department of red tape here.

And rightly so.

In regards to this Louisville lout:

May its impending collapse from the weight of its own self importance happen in the wee hours so as to not extirpate a befuddled soul.

What's self important about it? There's something for everyone here - offices, a hotel, condos, art museum, gym, bar, communal spaces. All the elements a true democracy requires.

Well, I don't want to be too critical here - most of the last post was just for the joy of stringing some long words together - but I do think that this quote from the article "“We’ve been interested in the question, ‘Can something be both a credible whole and a series of parts?’†says Joshua Prince-Ramus, OMA’s lead designer on the project." gives it all a bit of pretention. Obviously OMA is putting this design forth not only with their question, but also with their answer - yes, it can be credible - as no firm is wont to embarrass itself. This assemblage is out-there enough however that I doubt we'll ever get consensus from the either the architectural community or the general public on whether they actually have succeeded... unless the final product looks better than the rendering IMO.

I'm more interested in seeing how this thing gets built. Hopefully Frontiers of Construction will scurry down to Louisville to film it.

Ah, that's nothing special, even Mississauga is getting a set of 60 storey towers in the City Centre.

Louroz

Yeah, but look at this Louisville project Louroz: massive overhangs way up in the air. It's not your average construction project. (And I hope the Absolute project won't end up being an average one either...)

The focal Island in the sky is a strong concept: people going up to it, and down to it, from the various towers - the common denominator space that links the multi use complex.

I don't find the form of the thing outlandish or aesthetically repulsive - if anything rather restrained, if a bit brooding. Mate the TD Centre with an OCAD tabletop, stir in a soupcon of Erno Goldfinger and the John Hancock tower, and ... voila!

We should be so lucky to get something as distinctive as this in our burgh.

James Howard Kunstler didn't like it. Although I'm also not fond of this design, Kunstler's critiques of architecture have low credibility, in my opinion.

But I do find him amusing.

Back