News   Jul 31, 2024
 559     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 477     0 

Know yer architecture (in Cincinnati)

Sir Novelty Fashion

Member Bio
Reaction score
Check this out: an illustrated primer to recognising architectural styles from Cincinnati's municipal government, customised for the city and offered as a public reference.

Great reading in its own right - this is something that, as a non-architect, I'm increasingly interested in. But wouldn't it be wonderful to have something like this done for Toronto, and put online? Or is there already?

http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/cdap/pages/-3753-/

Are the historic buildings here that much different from that in Toronto? I've noticed that TO has a lot of Victorian architecture while I didn't see that in the Historic Preservation website (except for 'Victorian Vernacular', which doesn't seem to resemble anything in TO).
I'm assuming it has something to do with the distinct backgrounds, as Cincinnati was mostly German until the earlier 20th century. It would be interesting having the two booklets comparing the architectural histories of two distinct cities.

It's the United States of America, so "Victorian" isn't quite the automatic default term it is in Toronto.

What I do find interesting is how the narrative ends w/Art Deco & Moderne--not that there's been much built since then in Cincinnati proper; but, still, it's a very 70s/80s approach to "style identification" to end right there...

Degnaw,

Toronto's historic residential vernacular is quite unique, at least from what I've explored in other American and Canadian cities. It chiefly consists of two-and-a-half story semi-detached Victorian houses on deep, narrow lots. The space between houses is barely two or three feet wide so the effect one gets when walking down a leafy residential street here is that they are rowhouses. The working classes of Toronto lived in simple cottages or more squat 1.5 story rowhouses that had slightly less ornamentation than the 'bay and gables' that I just described but were more adorned than, say, a comparable house in South Philadelphia or Baltimore. At one time Ontario was covered with big, old trees and I guess everyone got a piece of the pie with frilly woodwork on their porches

What's really interesting is that I find that Toronto's upper classes lived in smaller, less ornate mansions than their American counterparts. There are some grand and stately houses in Rosedale, parts of the Annex and whatever is left on Jarvis Avenue but, for the most part, American mansions and country homes from that time period tend to exude more wealth.

Around 1910 Toronto seemed to have exploded in population and a lot of what was built around town were semi-detached houses in similar fashion to the Victorian ones I described but with a more simple gable roof. American cities seem to have had a higher standard of living at this time, which may account for why Cleveland and Detroit - which also exploded in population - tended to build car-oriented housing as early as the 1910s while we were fashionably backward and built pedestrian-oriented communities until at least the middle 1920s. We continued to be fashionably backward which is why we have art deco office towers built as late as 1950 and didn't even consider abandoning our streetcar system until the 1970s when it could be saved.

We continued to be fashionably backward which is why we have art deco office towers built as late as 1950
Though to be fair, the Bank of Nova Scotia was a stripped-down version of a prewar scheme, anyway. And it isn't like other places in America weren't building retardataire Deco, either--or would have, were it not for postwar shortages. (Think, for example, of Boston's pre-Pei John Hancock Tower.)

Toronto generally does kinder, gentler, somewhat later and perhaps more thoughtful versions of high fashion styles anyway. We did with Modernism, too. It is one of the things that distinguishes our style from that of some foreign cities.

Back